Flat Iron Verses Curling Iron, do you need both?

Blessedhairgro

I have a question ladies. After reading all the great reviews about flat irons on this board I was wondering if it's necessary to own both a flat iron and a curling iron. I don't own a flat iron but I do have a good curling iron (hot tools). I've never used a flatiron but every time I see the maxiglide on the HSN website (they have it with styling products for $89.00 - $99.00) I am tempted to buy one. I only use my curling iron when I am about 9 - 12 weeks post relaxer and that is when I'd use the flatiron as well if I bought one. Is it really necessary to have both or do you find that just a curling iron is sufficient? Please share your experiences and expertise. Thanks:)!

Royal Glory

I like my curling iron. I don't know how to handle a flat iron. (I'm embarrassed to say.) But, I like curls better than flatter hair on me, even though people compliment me with both styles.

The Girl

well I like the flat iron better. I learned how to turn the flat iron at the end of my hair to make curls but I suppose it depends on the style you are going for.

InnerSoul

I use my curling iron... since my flat iron was never returned to me:( !! or maybe it was.. and just can't remember.. that has been some YEARS ago!! besides I want a new updated flat iron anyhow;) .. and will not be loaning it out!!

sareca

I don't own a curling iron. If I want tight curls I rollerset. If I want loose curls I use my flatiron to add a bend to the ends.

dannie

I can get my hair straighter with my curling iron than my flat iron, so I would say, no you dont need both.

SweetCaramel1

i've used my curling iron once in two years. i normally wrap or roll my hair and use the flat iron to straighten out any kinks. i don't use it all over my hair. i think the curling iron can get my hair just as straight but it'll have a slight bend to it. i do feel like i have more control with my flat iron though

sweetascocoa

I thought i didnt need a flat iron but its hard for me to manuever my maxiglide to make flips cos i suck but anyhoo, yeah i had to go dig out my old conair curling iron for doing flips or whatever it is so my ends dont look flat.

HoneyDew

I use my flat iron for straightening after washing. I bump the ends with that, but I use rollers for curls.

I do like having a curling iron around. I don't use it much but it comes in handy for special occasions to spot curl pieces of hair. I only use it on about 220-230 degrees for that.

For me, the curling iron is just a "nice to have" item. I don't like the "Gold" ones, though. They seem to burn my hair more - you can even smell it. I have a Tourmaline one by Remington called T-Studio.

Whimsy

Since I've bought the maxiglide i haven't used a curling iron at all. I'll let my hair air dry and then just maxiglide it super straight.

Blessedhairgro

Thanks Ladies:)!! It doesn't sound like many of your use a curling iron. I am still a little torn, the good flat irons are so expensive (chi, maxiglide) but the pj in me is still tempted to buy one. I use my curling iron to straighten my hair out after I airdry and to give me a few curls. Maybe I will hold off on the flatiron for now until I see a really good sale on them.

Last edited:

Carla From VA

HoneyDew said:
I don't like the "Gold" ones, though. They seem to burn my hair more - you can even smell it. I have a Tourmaline one by Remington called T-Studio.
That is so true. I had did a rollerset last weekend and I needed some spot touching up, so I broke out my big curling iron which I have not used in a couple of years. My freshly washed hair instantly smelled like old fashioned singed hair after that. My ceramic flat iron never does that. I do have a ceramic curling iron, but its diameter was smaller than what I was going for. I very seldom use curling irons, I can get my roots straighter with the small flat iron and just bend the ends for a little bit of curl.

HoneyDew

Carla From VA said:
That is so true. I had did a rollerset last weekend and I needed some spot touching up, so I broke out my big curling iron which I have not used in a couple of years. My freshly washed hair instantly smelled like old fashioned singed hair after that. My ceramic flat iron never does that. I do have a ceramic curling iron, but its diameter was smaller than what I was going for. I very seldom use curling irons, I can get my roots straighter with the small flat iron and just bend the ends for a little bit of curl.

yeah, I hate those things. I never get that with my remington t-studio curling iron and that one works on really low heat compared to those gold ones that get way to HOT!

dlewis

I have every heating appliance know to man. I don't use hardly any of them on a reg basis. I used to use the curling iron for years to straighten my hair. During the Maxiglide hype, I bought that. I have only use it less than 10 times in 18 months on me or my daughters hair. But I do like the results when I do use it. I do think you need both.

I rollerset my hair often now and that's it.