Is There Any Alternative To Gel?

Nazaneen

or mousse?
I need hold for curls but I'm sick of gel or mousse. i just cant stand to even try any new gels at this point.
I don't want to oil heavily either so what can hold my hair?

Last edited:

HaveSomeWine

Maybe a serum? Aren't they supposed to smooth frizz away? Or you could try wrapping it down with a brush and scarf and removing it before heading out like a doobie. I've come to accept that my hair will always have some sort of frizz simply due to the texture so it doesn't really bother me anymore so long as it isn't too fuzzy.

Nazaneen

Maybe a serum? Aren't they supposed to smooth frizz away? Or you could try wrapping it down with a brush and scarf and removing it before heading out like a doobie. I've come to accept that my hair will always have some sort of frizz simply due to the texture so it doesn't really bother me anymore so long as it isn't too fuzzy.

my hair will laugh at serum lol

i want to wear it curly!

Guinan

Re-Branding
Maybe try a pomade or a botanical gel. Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is good for setting curls. Or you could even try a twisting cream.

FSG or curls botanical gel are really good at setting curls. They provide a light hold without the stiffness. @Nazaneen

Nazaneen

Maybe try a pomade or a botanical gel. Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is good for setting curls. Or you could even try a twisting cream.

FSG or curls botanical gel are really good at setting curls. They provide a light hold without the stiffness. @Nazaneen

what is FSG?
gonna look up Curls Botanical

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
image.jpg image.jpg I don't care for gel in my hair either. Just seems unnecessary since I like volume over definition. I tend to either 1) rinse about 50% of my deep conditioner out after washing then put a whipped butter on top or 2) just use straight up deep conditioner as a leave in.

First pic shows half of my hair with gel. Nice and shiny but flat and hard.

2nd pic shows the other half with just deep conditioner as a leave in. Fluffy, voluminous and touchable.

They both give me around 3-4 day hair with no touch ups and no re-wetting. I prefer the no-gel side.

Good luck!

HaveSomeWine

my hair will laugh at serum lol

i want to wear it curly!

Then maybe a curl cream like others are suggesting? They are heavier than gels, mousses and serums so should give you more hold and staying power. The one by Shea Moisture, the curl smoothie seems to be popular among naturals. I've also heard of using aloe vera gel and the people I know who used it had pretty smooth and defined hair.

Honey Bee

So... last year, I bought some conditioner on sale from the bss. Now, I don't even GO to the bss, I just happened to be there with an acquaintance, but it was on sale, a liter for like $10 and had good ingredients, so you know I had to go 'head and give it a try. :look:

So, I just got around to it today when I realized, hey, this is a pretty thick gel. I plan to use it instead of curl cream. I'll let you know how it works out, but the take-away here should be, gel-like conditioners. :yep:

faithVA

So... last year, I bought some conditioner on sale from the bss. Now, I don't even GO to the bss, I just happened to be there with an acquaintance, but it was on sale, a liter for like $10 and had good ingredients, so you know I had to go 'head and give it a try. :look:

So, I just got around to it today when I realized, hey, this is a pretty thick gel. I plan to use it instead of curl cream. I'll let you know how it works out, but the take-away here should be, gel-like conditioners. :yep:

What conditioner is it?

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I have two suggestions:
Curl Keeper Styling Cream

It is lightweight, has lots of slip, resists humidity and has a strong but flexible hold.

A cheaper option is Elasta QP Feels Like Silk

It's a medium hold gel that looks and feels like a serum. This one is heavier than Curl Keeper Styling Cream.

These are normally for Wash-n-Go styles. I use both to for rollersets, Bantu knots & twist outs.

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Jane Carter Curl defining cream. I've also used Herbal Essence Conditioner. It was either Long Term Relationship or Totally Twisted.