Is there anyone who uses the blow dryer regularly and retains length?

Ms Lala

Is there anyone who uses a blow dryer reguarly and maintains length. I would like to use it 1-2 times per month but I don't want to damage my hair. Please share what kind of dryer and heat protectant you use if you are retaining length while blow drying?

Mars_Reiko

I start to include my blowdryer is my regimen when I been to stretch my relaxer past a certain point. Air drying just wasn't cutting it with all the new growth. I use my blow dryer every 2 weeks followed by my flat-iron. I have a conair blow dryer (high, low, and cool setting). The heat protected I use is Loreal Nature's Therapy Heat Control serum. I retain length mainly because I only handle my hair every 2 weeks. In between time I just finger comb, and wrap with a scarf. And use my Lenzi's Request of course.

eajaye2u

Ms Lala said:
Is there anyone who uses a blow dryer reguarly and maintains length. I would like to use it 1-2 times per month but I don't want to damage my hair. Please share what kind of dryer and heat protectant you use if you are retaining length while blow drying?
I use the blow dry once a week on semi dry hair with alter ego cren on the scalp, low setting with the CHI silk till almost dry. And then add some Lenzie Request Hair souffle and complete the dryng. No breaking whatsoever and soft strong results. The hair is 4abcde etc. :grin:

Bublin

I personally don't but plan to when my natural hair is longer.

My Mum has bra strap length natural hair that is incrediably thick. She uses a blowdrier every two weeks. If she didn't blow it to dry it she would be dripping for hours :lol:

so1913

I "diffuse" my hair with a dryer/diffuser attachment 3 to 5 times a week and don't notice any problems with breakage or dryness. I can't stand wet hair. But I am natural, and it's not necessarily "direct" heat I would say. And it's the ONLY heat I apply to my hair, so I don't know if all those factors make a difference in how using it frequently affects or doesn't affect my hair.

angeleyes

I use a ceramic& ionic blowdryer once a wek on the lowest setting, and I don't have any issues with breakage,dryness or thinning. I use IC polisher heat protectant (the one in the pink bottle)

Last edited:

InnerSoul

I use my dome(hard hat) dryer gold n' hot from sallys 2x per week while doing my rollersets. It's indirect heat but if I feel it's too much heat then I turn down to the next lowest level of heat.

pistachio

I do, but the trick is to not use it on dripping wet hair. I air dry my hair for an hour which it's then about 95% dry. THEN, I use the hair dryer on the lowest speed, lowset heat, and I hold down the "cold shot" button. I usually lose no more then three hairs at the most.

HoneyDew

I do, I guess. I airdry my hair, but sometimes it is still a little damp in places and I just don't have time to wait. I use a dryerstand like the one below while I finger comb my hair to get the last bit dry. I NEVER use a comb attachment or comb with it because I don't use it to get straight. I got damage from that last year when I tried using the comb attachment after onyl 4 times. :perplexed NEVER AGAIN.

I get less heat on my hair when i finger comb with my dryer and dryer stand than I do when I sit under the dryer. I use my Rusk Hyper Ionic Dryer on low warm heat for a few min and it is dry

lana

I do. I'm like angeleyes, I use a ceramic ionic blowdryer on a medium or low setting. This gets my hair straight enough to flat iron with the MG and then hold onto the style for one or two weeks.

Heat hasn't been a problem, I make sure and use really great heat protectants and straightening conditioner, shampoo and leave in. This makes a huge difference in retaining length. It's a noticeable difference.

I hope that helps. Oh, I'm a natural 4a who straightens.

P.S. I recently thought about chemicals sense I like my hair straight primarily, but the problem with that is: My hair doesn't mind moderate use of heat, but my scalp hates chemilals!!! So I have to listen to my body on that one.

Ms Lala

Bublin said:
I personally don't but plan to when my natural hair is longer.

My Mum has bra strap length natural hair that is incrediably thick. She uses a blowdrier every two weeks. If she didn't blow it to dry it she would be dripping for hours :lol:

This is the problem I have. It takes my hair about 8 hours or longer to fully dry. My styles hold longer and look better when I blow dry also.

Ms Lala

You all have given me some great advice. I have some questions for some of you all though.

Mar Reiko – Thanks for the info. I have never heard of the Loreal product you use, maybe I’ll try it. Your ends looks so strong to use heat regularly. Do you put something special on them?

Eajaye2u & Pistachio- I think I will try letting my hair dry part of the way so I’m not using sooooo much heat like you 2 suggested.

SO1913- I love your curls. Maybe I should try a diffuser like you suggested.

Angeleyes- Do you notice a difference with the ionic dryer versus a regular one? I’m thinking of investing in one.

HoneyDew- That stand is really neat. I"ve never seen a stand for a hand held dryer before. Thanks for posting the pic.

Lana- My hair hates chemicals also, which is one of the reasons I stopped relaxing. Not to mention that my hair never really got straight anyway and when my hair would get wet I still would have to use some type of heat to straighten it. It seemed pointless.

Last edited:

angeleyes

I have the Babyliss Extreme Air blowdryer and my hair feel so much better, with my other dryer it had atendency to leave my hair feeling dried out rather than just dry! With the ionic my hair is smooth and shiny even though I use it on the lowest setting and sometimes I even use the cool shot button as well!. I also use it on my 9 yrs olds natural,past bra straplength hair,weekly, with no adverse effects. (her hair is so thick it would take a minimum of 2 days to dry!):eek:

simone103

I blow-dry my hair once a week with a ceramic/ionic dryer from Hot Tools. I use keracare jojoba oil moisturizer, keracare essential oil, citrus shine serum, and dove sheer mist as a leave-in.

Ms Lala

simone103 said:
I blow-dry my hair once a week with a ceramic/ionic dryer from Hot Tools. I use keracare jojoba oil moisturizer, keracare essential oil, citrus shine serum, and dove sheer mist as a leave-in.

How much is this blow dryer, some of them are real expensive.

PinkPeony

I just tried it for a couple times but i'am still unsure about it.
However Sylver uses a blowdrier twice a month and she has almost WL hair.

Ms Lala

ella said:
I just tried it for a couple times but i'am still unsure about it.
However Sylver uses a blowdrier twice a month and she has almost WL hair.

Really, her hair is beautiful! I will look at her fotki.

Mizani_Mrs

Lala, i'm not sure that is a good idea. for the past year i have been blowdrying my hair weekly. I have recently stopped because even though i retained length, i didnt retain as much as i should have cause I continuously had to dust to get rid of thin ends. I think it came from blowdrying too frequently. Now i rollerset weekly and i will blowdry my roots only if i'm stretching. And i was too lazy to blow on med heat...i always used high heat... so it wasn't a good thing for my hair.

Whimsy

I used to use a blowdrier weekly, followed by the flat iron. My hair was always somewhere between apl and waist. I prefer to take better care of it now and we'll see how it grows.

simone103

Ms Lala said:
How much is this blow dryer, some of them are real expensive.

I think it's $49.99 at Ulta and that's the cheapest I've seen it. It's a Hot Tools Ion/Ceramic Digital Anti-Static 1875 Watt Dryer. If you do decide to blow dry your hair make sure to divide your hair into 4 sections and dry section by section and use a low tempurature setting - this will greatly reduce any chance of damage.

Ms Lala

simone103 said:
I think it's $49.99 at Ulta and that's the cheapest I've seen it. It's a Hot Tools Ion/Ceramic Digital Anti-Static 1875 Watt Dryer. If you do decide to blow dry your hair make sure to divide your hair into 4 sections and dry section by section and use a low tempurature setting - this will greatly reduce any chance of damage.

Thanks for the info!!!
Mizani Ms- what you expressed is my concern. i don't want thin ends. but my hair looks and behaves much better when blowdryed and it takes sooooo long to air dry. i don't know what 2 do.

trulyurangel82

I blow dry my hair weekly with my ion ceramic dryer.

The trick is to not use too much heat. If you are going to use a blow dryer you should dry it on low. Make sure your hair isnt dripping wet either when you blow dry. Also make sure you use a heat protectant like a serum or a leave in.

Back in the day I was using it every week on 'high" heat and then flat ironed and it really damaged my hair.

Now when I use it on low I dont see much damage at all.

Also if you are going to blow dry I think you shouldnt flat iron afterwards. To me thats too much heat.

Its like an either or thing with me. If I blow dry it straight...I wont use a flat iron. I might put my hair in rollers or w/e.

The only time I will flat iron is if I air dry or sit under a dryer under a cool setting with a rollerset. I sometimes go over a my roller set with a flat iron but thats only if I sit under the dryer under a cool setting.

If you dont use two sources of heat in a day I think you will be fine :)

Last edited:

trulyurangel82

also some people are better off blow drying than air drying. depends on your hair

I know if I air dry my hair loose or even in a pony tail method my hair breaks off. My hair just gets matted or frizzy.

I have to either blow dry it straight or air dry with a roller set to have it semi straight.

Mars_Reiko

Ms Lala said:
You all have given me some great advice. I have some questions for some of you all though.

Mar Reiko – Thanks for the info. I have never heard of the Loreal product you use, maybe I’ll try it. Your ends looks so strong to use heat regularly. Do you put something special on them?

This is how it looks and some info on it http://ibeautyny.com/goods_detail.asp?goodsIdx=3035

I dont do anything special. When I do blow dry and flat iron I only pass through the length of the hair and the ends once.

sylver2

i use the blowdryer at least once a month. Sometimes twice a month during winter or stretching
i use conair ionic 1850 dryer. It was about $30

shunta

trulyurangel82 said:
also some people are better off blow drying than air drying. depends on your hair

I know if I air dry my hair loose or even in a pony tail method my hair breaks off. My hair just gets matted or frizzy.

I have to either blow dry it straight or air dry with a roller set to have it semi straight.
Same here. My hair told airdrying to go to hell:lol: :lol:

Nuelle

Last semester, I stretched for 4 months:ohwell:, and it was just frustrating. I reached a point where I just couldn't handle it by myself. So, around the 3rd month, I went to the salon every other week to get my hair washed and blow dried. My hair didn't suffer any damage at all. Another thing that worked for me was to wash my hair, put some leave-in conditioner, let it airdry a little, then add some leave-in and oil, and blow-dry. Once you're done, you wrap the hair so it can stay straight.