Is this damaging?

atl_mulattamami

I am a 100% natural type 3b/c

I was wondering do yall think it would be damaging to do this one routine once a week (just for the winter). I usually wear my hair out, natural, and curly. I don't straighten it in the summer and spring because it is TOO hot and humid and I just end up with a big frizzy poofball. Now that it's winter I want to wear my hair straight for a change. Would this routine be ok? Would it mess up my natural curl pattern (heat damage)?
1)Shampoo
2)Deep condition under dryer for 45 minutes
3)Add my leave in conditioner
4)Blow dry on medium setting
5)Flat iron on a medium setting
I would wrap my hair nightly to maintain and therefore would only be using the direct heat once a week.

I dont know whether it would be damaging to you because of your hair type. I believe I am a 4a im not too sure about this hair type stuff- anyway I straightened my hair every two weeks for a few months and I have now lost some of my curl pattern and even texture in the front (i know worst place to lose something :( ) I wouldn't reccomend straightening it every week.

caligirl

I would do it. But only if you blow dry with your fingers, not a comb attachment, those things pull my hair out from the root. And use a good ceramic iron like FHI.

atl_mulattamami

see i feel like the comb attachment actually HELPED me whereas blowdrying with my fingers/paddle brush made my hair tangle and pull out

ive been using a ceramic flat iron but i dont think it's one of those expensive top brand ones...mine cost like 50 dollars is that ok?

maybe i will not press it once a week and maybe like twice a month instead of the usual once a month??

chocolate01

I wouldn't press once a week, twice a month maybe but then again straighten is such a big process to me. Have you tried roller setting your hair first to get it straight that way? Roller setting first would eliminate the need to use direct of both the blow dryer and flatiron everytime you want to go straight.

TrustMeLove

I wouldn't straighten. I would get a weave, some braids..a wig..something.

I have a twa and I want to wear a different style so bad sometimes. But, I just go out and buy new make up colors. This usually satisfies my want/desire/need for change.

But, I just remember what happened when PoohBear first cut her hair. She wanted to see the length and pressed it..and the curl wouldn't come back so she had to cut it all off basically. She cut her TWA even shorter. Thank God..she still looked really good with the shorter cut. Even cuter actually. Weird huh?

But, Im scared thats going to happen to me..so im leaving my stuff nappy..twisted, or braided..or covered with a wig. No heat NO HEAT NO HEAT!

But, thats just my fear and my hair. It may work out differently for you.

-Trust