Is your wet length your true length?

Caramela

When your hair is soaking wet after your c/o wash and shower, is that your true length? Or is your true length, the length of your hair after it's air dried or maybe even blown dry?
How do you determine your true length?

P

Paradox

When your hair is soaking wet after your c/o wash and shower, is that your true length? Or is your true length, the length of your hair after it's air dried or maybe even blown dry?
Your true length is after it has dried. Hair is almost like a sponge, so when it soaks up water it stretchs. That is why some people deep condition on dry hair so that the hair can fully soak up the conditioner without being full of water. I am still trying to figure out how to determine true length.

Christina Dior

to me its the true length or jus about becasue after i co wash and let my hair air dry it shrinks up due to my new growth and waves that are on my relaxed ends

fluffylocks

I dont think its that that far from your true length, for me the best real way to tell my true length though is letting it dry however, and then flatironing.

But i think using your wet hair is not a bad way of seeing how much your hair is growing :ohwell:...Its def. going to stretch it out and your not using a blowdryer or flatiron or anything and your still getting a pretty good idea...Like if all someone does is wet hair photos to watch their length i dont think their misleading themselves.

Caramela

I always felt that your wet length was your true length... can your hair really stretch that much while it's wet? I haven't worn my hair blown dry this whole year, and I know when it air dries that NG and waves aren't showing the true length... so that leaves me to wonder what the true length really is.

doll-baby

I was actually just thinking about this. While my hair is wet It looks like it is 2 inches away from APL. However when dry and curled it looks only a couple inches past shoulder length ! Now that's shrinkage !

Neith

Nope, your wet length is not your true length.

We all know that hair is elastic. A healthy hair can stretch A LOT before breaking... but we all know that just because it can stretch far doesn't mean that the stretched length is the true length.

Same thing for wet hair... it's heavily weighed down and stretched slightly. It's not the true length, it's a little longer.

Of course... this pertains to people with sraightened out hair.

Curly and kinky heads never see their true length wet or dry... derned shrinkage.

Traycee

My hair wet is waistlength ....my hair dry is MBL...Wet hair is stretched so it is not a true guide in measuring

Last edited:

Caramela

We all know that hair is elastic. A healthy hair can stretch A LOT before breaking... but we all know that just because it can stretch far doesn't mean that the stretched length is the true length.

Same thing for wet hair... it's heavily weighed down and stretched slightly. It's not the true length, it's a little longer.

Curly and kinky heads never see their true length wet or dry... derned shrinkage.

A little longer? Like how much ... serious question. Does it stretch inches longer, or just a few centimeters longer. YOu know what I mean? Is it a drastic difference?

JustKiya

I think if youre not wearing your hair out that way then it doesn't matter.

:yep:

:lachen: Okay???? I think for curly/kinky heads - wet length is closer to true length because there is so much less shrinkage. For straight heads, I think it might be a little overstated - but not that much. I mean, I don't think wet/dry is going to take you from shoulder to APL, or anything like that. It might take you from barely BSL to actual BSL, but that's about it.

Neith

A little longer? Like how much ... serious question. Does it stretch inches longer, or just a few centimeters longer. YOu know what I mean? Is it a drastic difference?

Only a little longer I'd say. A few inches or centimeters...

FlawedBeauty

i'd say its maybe a little less than a 1/2 inch longer. but not a few inches. i think ppl tend to forget how much an inch really is when speaking in terms of hair, its quite a bit.

Neith

A few inches is a lot. That's the difference from BSL to MBL... a few centimeters wouldn't do that though... so I don't know.

1 inch is a little more than 2 centimeters, right?

I'm not talking 6 inches... 1, 2 maybe 3 inches. Especially in longer hair which has more weight to it and stretches it out further (than shorter/lighter hair) when wet.

envybeauty

no more than standing on your tippy toes is your true height.

BostonMaria

When I wet my hair I believe its about shoulder length. I dry it and its at my neck. I blow dry it and its APL. So my conclusion is blow dried hair shows my true length. If you saw my wash and go's you'd think my hair never grew an inch :grin:

Blessed2bless

:yep:

:lachen: Okay???? I think for curly/kinky heads - wet length is closer to true length because there is so much less shrinkage. For straight heads, I think it might be a little overstated - but not that much. I mean, I don't think wet/dry is going to take you from shoulder to APL, or anything like that. It might take you from barely BSL to actual BSL, but that's about it.

I agree with you JK... My natural hair when wet is my true length... when it is dry it shrinks above shoulder length.

nomoweavesfome

It is all true length really.- just that there's a wet length and a dry length. They are all true indeed but defineitely a difference. When I took my progress pic like a week ago claiming armpit others said it looked just about brastrap or past armpit. But dry it is right at armpit. maybe we just need to clarify with new terms "apwl" or "apdl". lol

PinkPeony

actually it's usually less b/c even though relaxed(texlaxed) i still have a cuttern pattern and my hair shrinks a bit up and gets curlier wet versus flatironed

Soliel185

So what about for naturals and transitioners? Can we count stretched length as our true length so long as we "stretch" dry hair? I don't like to deal with the hassle of direct heat much - so I usually just stretch my dry hair at different parts of my head to get an idea of where I am.

fluffylocks

I bet it can differ alot between everyone...

Probally depending on how much elasticity your hair has, how straight or curly it is, how thick or fine it is....

Im thinking the finer/thinner your hair, the straighter, and less elasicity you have (And i know that for relaxed hair its going to have less elasticity anyway) the more your going to see your true length when wet.

blasianbeauty

Great question! I typically go by my "dry" length. I mean, I don't walk around with my hair saoking wet everyday, so once it's dry, that's it. :yep:

glamazon386

It depends on your hair. My hair shrinks as it dries to about half it's length. My shrunken hair is certainly not my true length.

MizzBrown

Hmmm, I always thought your hair WET was your true length and that is why you should always cut your hair when WET rather than dry.

All of my major haircuts or precision cuts that i've had were always done on WET hair so that you can see your hair at its true length without it being bumped, curled, styled.

My hair shrinks up. Relaxed hair shrinks up and even if my hair is relaxed bone straight, my stylist would never give me a cut on DRY hair. Always wet to see my true length.

Cichelle

My wet hair is shorter than my "true length" which I consider as the length it is when I stretch it while dry. My wet hair, even my soaking wet hair, is not straight, so it can still be stretched longer.