It's not just us!

H

HoneyRockette

It\'s not just us!

I always thought my obsession with my hair was weird. Then I found you all and discovered an online outlet for my neurosis. /images/graemlins/smile.gifToday I made a strange but exciting discovery- ALL WOMEN OBSESS ABOUT THEIR HAIR! Shocking, I know. True story: I took the subway from work today. I saw a woman with a cute short haircut like the one I want (almost like the Monica picture by my name). It looked fabulous on her. She had the color and everything. So after staring at her hair for six or seven stops I finally said to her "I love your haircut." She thanked me for the compliment and I proceeded to bombard her with questions. She answered only like a true Long Hair Care Forum Diva would- with a detailed regimen explanation and an itemized product list includng Elucence conditioner, Affirm regular relaxer and the recently mentioned ACV! Then another black woman with braids who was sitting down, jumped in the conversation telling me her own short hair cut story and also recommended products and even gave me the number of a good Black stylist in Harlem. Then a Hispanic woman boarded and instantly joined in. She had a nice, even, chin length bob. She added "color really makes a cut", which is evident in her own blond streaked hair. The next thing I knew I am gabbing away about haircare with about eight strangers on the train. The funny thing is they all knew exactly what they were talking about! It wasn't like a "I read this beauty tip in Cosmo" kind of conversation. It was a "direct quote from Shamboosie or Andre Walker" type of discussion. I just thought it was interesting. Though I don't know where I got the idea that only a handful of women care enough to educate themselves about haircare. This forum alone is more than 500 strong! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

honeycomb719

Re: It\'s not just us!

You will be surprise how many women will engage in a long conversation about there hair. I think once they notice that your line of thinking is similar, people just pour out all the questioned they wanted to ask, but never found that somebody that would take the conversation seriously or have some knowledge worth sharing. All my friends know about my obsession, and called me crazy at first, but surprisely they all come to me for advice because I tell them about all the wonderful information I have gather on this site and others. They now ask me about certain products they want to try, and ask me wants the word online. I don't know everything about hair, but in little time I will have my hair all figured out /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Miss Montserrat

I was just as shocked as you were to find the women on this forum, so don't feel bad. I felt like I was the only PJ in the world or that I was the only one in search of "the ultimate hair care product". Although outsiders don't readily admit it, I think thiers a little PJ in all of us. I'm not surprised you had that encounter on the train. Most of those women were probably coming from or going to Manhattan... You know the deal with that!

pebbles

I'm not surprised. Though many woman don't talk about it much out in the world, if you start a hair conversation, a lot of them will have something to contribute. Unfortunately, there are some that don't know enough. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think that's really good when things like that happen.

I know if I'd have been there I'd be asking (in true PJ stylie) 'so what's your fave conditioner?' and knowing me would commit to memory whatever they really raved over /images/graemlins/wink.gif Especially if another jumped in to back up that same product then I'd realllllly be weak /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif That's cool that she mentioned Elucence, something that I only heard of from this board. Hmmm what's her username? (Did I just say that out loud)? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

It is great though to get into chats like that. Most people open up when you pay them a compliment e.g. if I see something someone's wearing on the street that I LOVE I have stopped them and asked where they got it and they always tell me because they're flattered that you ask and know they must obviously look great /images/graemlins/grin.gif Its like a 'woman's club' feeling for a few minutes.

LondonDiva

HR isn't that nice that you were able to have a nice discussion about hair with women of colour outside of this forum without anyone holding back any info and everyone being helpful and supportive. You lucky woman /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jenai

Wow HR, I bet is was so refreshing to have a "hair encounter" in the train. It does seem as if we are the oly ones that constantly thin about our hair, but then we meet someone who shares in our obessions.

I too am wondering what her username is. /images/graemlins/wave.gif - to the board members HR met on the train.

skegeesmb

I had that conversation last year...with my students /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:!
There was a class in my classroom so I had to wait until the instructor was finished. One of my students died her hair brown again and I commented on how nice it looked. Then we started talking about color, and how fast hair grew, and how some of us were growing out cuts, and how some of us like short hair better. The funny thing is they were ALL white.

I teach at a predominately white University, but hair seems to be universal!

azul11

i have seen many ladies that seem to be taking care of their hair. its gotten to the point where i can spot a no lye in a crowd. i saw this girls hair who's hair was so shiny and it looked silky and soft. i wanted to ask her what she uses but like it was discussed in the other thread some ladies seems so unapproachable and when you take interest in their hair they seemed threatened. i wish i could just talk to people about hair like that. you are so lucky. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

BrightEyes

Oh yeah, all women love their hair.

I used to work in a salon. Oh the stories I could tell about those women and their hair. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif