Ive been doing my research and........(Long)

angelk316

I ve been doing research about the structure of hair(check out this site http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/), and I am so confused. Most people would tell you that you do not need to put anything on your scalp because the sebacous(oil) glands producuous enough oil. If this is so why do peoples scalp till get dry? Even if our hair doesnt get enough natural oil because of its curly pattern wouldnt the oil from the oil gland take care of it when it comes out of the scalp. If greasses and oils clog pores why do people put stuff on their scalp but it still grows anyway? Ive also found out that hair is dead it cannot be fixed or repaired.If this is true than are protien treatments and reconstructive treatments a waste of time and money? If Iam suppose to wash my hair often how can I do it with hard water in my building, and how can I wash it without damaging too much of my hair.

I know this isso much but I am totally confused and need
help /images/graemlins/tongue.giferplexed:

I have very thick coarse hair that is relaxed. Right now I am wearing braids.

G

Lots of good questions and I hope you get the answers that you are seeks. However, I disagree with the statement in which the article states that hair can't be fixed. I believe spit ends should be cut YES, but fragile hair can be repaired. Mine HAS and I quite sure a few other's have as well. HUMMMM

Nonie

People whose scalps get dry are probably pple who have naturally dry skin. Adding Essential Fatty Acids to one's diet and drinking lots of water might help. Also avoiding harsh shampoos that are extra-drying wouldn't be a bad move. I know when I first stopped greasing my scalp, my scalp felt dry. It no longer does. My guess is, your sebaceous glands take a back seat coz you're supplying all the oil they could be supplying, so why should they bother. But when you stop greasing your scalp, you wake them up coz they can't afford to sleep on the job since no one's covering for them anymore. (But don't quote me. That's just how I see it.)

The oil from the gland isn't sufficient to oil our curly hair when it grows long the way it can be for straight hair. For lack of a better explanation. Imagine yourself sliding down a smooth pole, you'd slide all the way to the bottom without any problem right? But now picture yourself sliding down a pole that folds one way then the other, instead of pointing straight down. You'd probably slide only a short way down before you stopped at a bend. At which point you'd have to manually push yourself along to get past the horizontal part due to the bend so as to head on vertically down by gravity. Well, in the case of hair, you are the oil molecule, but unlike you, the oil molecule doesn't make an effort to push itself past the kink. Which is why those with curly hair cannot rely on their sebum to supply their entire strands the way those with straight hair can. The oil would stop at the first bend and call it a day.

There are some pple who put grease on their scalps but still have long hair. We probably know relatives who swear by Dax and have been greasing their scalp since back when, yet long hair has never eluded them. These are probably the same pple who can treat their hair carelessly and still not have to worry about length. However, most of us who apply stuff on the scalp do not use grease or mineral oil but rather, we use water based products or essential oils or natural oils (like coconut, jojoba, avocado...to name a few) all which are penetrating oils. They don't just sit on the scalp like grease would but their molecules are small enough for them to actual penetrate the skin or hair strand. They therefore do not clog the pores as grease might. (BTW jojoba is the closest thing to our natural sebum.) I know for me, I have had better success in my hair growth ever since I stopped applying grease on my scalp. So whether it's true or not, I'm more inclined to believe grease clogs pores. I also have clearer skin. Go figure.

Protein is a body-building compound. Eating protein can help with new growth and repair of cells inside the body. But hair that is outside the scalp that is "dead" cannot benefit from the protein you eat. However, this "dead" hair does become usually porous due to the cuticle being broken by wear/tear or due to chemical/heat use. The only way to fix those "cracks" is by applying protein to the hair itself. Think of plugging holes in the wall with plaster. If you don't believe protein adheres to hair, just try using some and then see how hard your hair gets. You could rinse and rinse till you're blue in the face but your hair will still be hard from the additional protein it now has. But that too gets worn off with time which is why repeated treatments are necessary.

The only way to avoid damaging your hair with hardwater is to buy a filter for your shower. In the meantime, please make sure to use an apple cider vinegar rinse in your wash. Some pple do it before applying conditioner; some at the very end. If your water is very hard, I'd say do it both times. ACV helps neutralize the alkalinity in hard water. Alternatively, if you can afford it, do what some pple here do: buy distilled water just for your hair. Those who have tried this swore it made a huge difference to their hair.

OK, I'm now off to read the link you provided. (Maybe I shoulda read it first. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
angelk316 said:
I ve been doing research about the structure of hair(check out this site http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/), and I am so confused. Most people would tell you that you do not need to put anything on your scalp because the sebacous(oil) glands producuous enough oil. If this is so why do peoples scalp till get dry? Even if our hair doesnt get enough natural oil because of its curly pattern wouldnt the oil from the oil gland take care of it when it comes out of the scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you brought this up because I've thought for a long time that the standard "coily/kinky/curly hair is dry due to the oil not having a straight path to travel along the shaft" answer was malarkey!

Different scalps produce different amounts of oil. Period! The chemical makeup probably varies somewhat from scalp to scalp too!

I have no scientific report to cite. This is just SVT's Sebaceous Scalp Gland Theory. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
angelk316 said:
If greasses and oils clog pores why do people put stuff on their scalp but it still grows anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably something else in their routine counters the grease clog or maybe they aren't putting enough on their scalp to cause a problem. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
angelk316 said:
Ive also found out that hair is dead it cannot be fixed or repaired.If this is true than are protien treatments and reconstructive treatments a waste of time and money?

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that protein treatments "fill in" the gaps on damaged hair.

[ QUOTE ]
angelk316 said:

If Iam suppose to wash my hair often how can I do it with hard water in my building, and how can I wash it without damaging too much of my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Showerhead filters. /images/graemlins/up.gif

HTH!

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Nonie said:
The oil from the gland isn't sufficient to oil our curly hair when it grows long the way it can be for straight hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just to clarify, Nonie is NOT malarkey. She's one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members on the board.

*tipping, quietly out*

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Nonie

SVT, /images/graemlins/rofl.gif Thanks, hun, for the compliment.

BTW, that is one of my favorite websites. I didn't recognize it by the link. I just know it by the name it is listed in my Favorites "Table of Contents". /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think what they mean by hair cannot be repaired once damaged it that it can never go back to being as perfect as it was before damage. You'll always have to plug in the holes...and apply some sort of sealant...ie do something extra to smooth down the cuticle to give the illusion of hair that has never known damage. But let's not let their way focussing on that truth get us down. We KNOW what reconstructors do for us and that works for us, so there! And if they can't see the damage, coz we do what we do well, why should we say a word?

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Nonie said:
SVT, /images/graemlins/rofl.gif Thanks, hun, for the compliment.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHEW!

[ QUOTE ]
Nonie said:
BTW, that is one of my favorite websites. I didn't recognize it by the link. I just know it by the name it is listed in my Favorites "Table of Contents". /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think what they mean by hair cannot be repaired once damaged it that it can never go back to being as perfect as it was before damage. You'll always have to plug in the holes...and apply some sort of sealant...ie do something extra to smooth down the cuticle to give the illusion of hair that has never known damage. But let's not let their way focussing on that truth get us down. We KNOW what reconstructors do for us and that works for us, so there! And if they can't see the damage, coz we do what we do well, why should we say a word?

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I want to say more about the oil glands. I think this way because I've seen hair that bends more than another but yet the more bended hair has more shine than the less bended hair. I have a coworker who's hair is curlier than mine but that chick has shiny, shiny hair and me with less curl has a matte finish.

It's all in the oil production - Sebaceous Scalp Gland Theory! You heard it first at LHCF!

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think scalps get dry from mere exposure to air. Wanakee talks about how our hair dries from exposure to air on her website. I agree that hair is dead once it grows out your head, but I disagree that it cannot be fixed. I also wonder where some people get the idea that grease clogs pores. My hair grew with the aid of grease back in the day. Just like there are non-pore-clogging facial moisturizers, can't it be true for some hair greases?!?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mahalialee4

I too disagree that hair cannot be fixed. My hair is 500% in better shape, texture and look and feel than before it was damaged and I attribute this to how I care for it and consistently doing what it requires to maximize it's health and growth potentioal. Bonjour /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
It's all in the oil production - Sebaceous Scalp Gland Theory! You heard it first at LHCF!

[/ QUOTE ]

dreemssold

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I think scalps get dry from mere exposure to air. Wanakee talks about how our hair dries from exposure to air on her website. I agree that hair is dead once it grows out your head, but I disagree that it cannot be fixed. I also wonder where some people get the idea that grease clogs pores. My hair grew with the aid of grease back in the day. Just like there are non-pore-clogging facial moisturizers, can't it be true for some hair greases?!?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There certainly could be, but whether they exist is the question. Grease is certainly not one of them--could you imagine putting Dax on your face /images/graemlins/crazy.gif?

DelightfulFlame

grease made me itch like I had poison ivy. My scalp thrives better when it gets air. It doesn't dry out from that. I have gotten the most peace ever when I began to shampoo and condition my hair only. I style with no products. Ah...peace. My scalp and hair haven't felt better. Who knew?!