Jherri Curl ROLL CALL!

naturallyme

i had a jherri curl. i got it when i was in high school 10th-12th grade. when i first got my curl, i had to get alot of my hair cut off. i only got one because my cousin and auntie had one so i wanted one. what i had remembered about having one was that it was always dripping. i always put gel activator in it every day and at night to keep it wet. i put a baggie on at night to keep it moist which i hated. i hated getting touch ups. at school the white peeps and hispanic peeps thought i had a perm. i never washed my hair. i let my stylist wash it when i got a touch up. when i decided to let my hair grow out, i got it flat ironed and then cut for my high school graduation. the jherri curl grew my hair. it was the longest it had ever been which was past my shoulders. i was so sad when i had to get it cut. thank god i don't have one today. lol.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
:wave: Yep I had a JC from age 15 to 18, I didn't use the gel I used the spritz, I was constantly squirting my hair all day :lachen: I do remember my hair growing very fast...I also used to be jealous of the girls that had the wave nouveau(sp?) I wanted that sooo badly but we (ie: my mom) couldn't afford it. :ohwell:

CarefreeinChicago

I had a care free curl and my hair was long past my bra strap when i had the curl that was the longest my hair has ever been in my life i had blown out for 8th grade grad pictures and i still remember my teacher going is that u under all that hair i got rid of it in high school my oldest friend talks about when we first meet i had a long pretty curl..lol

Radianthealth

I was tricked into a Jherri Curl at the age of 5:mad:

My mom put a Jherri Curl in my hair for about a year. I don't really remember it much It must have been around 86 or 87. I remember being tricked into it because my mother told me that the Jherri Curl would make my 4B hair like a friend of mine who had 3B hair:cool:

I got another one in middle school which was like 1994 or 1995:eek: :eek: :eek: . I refused to use any product in my hair because by that time those things were soo played out. My Mom cursed me out because I wouldn't use my "Wave Nuvea" spray:mad: :mad: :mad: My hair was dry, crispy, and fried :ohwell:

Now I happily use my S-Curl texturizer spray on my texlaxed hair:grin:

Someone should start a Challenge!?!?!

Just kidding I wonder if anyone on this board actually has a curl :confused:

Last edited:

rdm

I could not afford one....guess it was a blessing after all. I have a best friend that has a curl. Looks cute on her.

KathyMay

Yep I had one and so did all the women in my family. It was my aunt who lived next door to us that would take me to beauty salon to get that mess. I was in elementary school and whenever it was time for a "touch up" my hair would be really thick and look dry and the kids called me Thristy Curl. Between that and the spray and activator and protecting my pillowcases I had to let it go.

God bless my auntie she is almost 90 and still rocking her curl

lildhe

the jc !!! lets see..tcb turned my hair red on the ends (how i hated it then but wish i could get that color now..was that considered natural hi-lites:lol: :lol: ) I have very fine hair so imagine a jc that flopped . I wore a curl from 6th grade until 2nd year of college . One thing that is true of the curl is that everyone that wore one seem to have striving hair . we kept it moisturized and it was happy. I hated to wash it because I had to use a whole bottle of spray and a jar of activator to get it moist again :lol: :lol: !!

honeycomb719

I had a Jeri Curl at age 9 to 12. It made my hair grow ALOT. But, what was to come was years and years of breakage. I think it turned my hair color too to a dusty sandy brown:lol:

honeycomb719

preciousjewel76 said:
It's OK girl....let it out, just let it out!

I swear, there should be some kind of Jheri Curl Survivor's support group.:look:

Aint that the truth:lol: I would be the president:lachen: My hair aint been right since....

Puddles

On Cloud 9
:look: [SIZE=+2] Jherri curl when I was 19. Had it for 5 months....pressed it out and never went back. That was not for me. [/size]

chayil0427

Supergirl said:
Personal Jheri Curl Stats

Name: Supergirl
Age at The Time of JCV*: Age 5
Describe Your Jheri Curl Experience: It was stinky, other kids made fun of me, had to sleep with plastic bag every night (baggie method is not a new thing!), but my hair got longer. :)

*JVC=Jheri Curl Victimization
Edited: Whoops, meant JCV

:lachen: :lachen: I'm lucky...my mom HATED the curl and would not let me get one! Thank goodness!! I need to call her now and thank her.

Chayil

missnappylady

Divalicious said:
OH NO!! That brings back so many memories. Even my GRANDMA called me soul glo & greasy head. :lol:

Tzarina

I almost got one. My Aunty was retouching my uncles Jheri curl and she had a lil' bit left over so she went after me. Luckly mom was there to save me (thank you mom).

There's a guy who gets on my bus whos still rocking the Jheri curl mullet.

Daisimae

I did this to myself as an ADULT! Back in 2003, I was home sick, for months, over the fall and winter, and didn't go to the salon for a touch-up. So I had nine-11 months of new growth on my head. In March of 2004 I decided it was now or never for a Wave Nouveau, I wanted to try it because I thought it was a dry curl.

I had wanted a curl since the 80's when my Mom cut her hair real short an got one. She and my Dad wouldn't let me or my sis have one. But, since my Mom did hers at home, out of a box, we learned to put it in for her. Later in the 80's and early 90's she cut her hair even shorter and just started using a texturizer, (no rollers needed).

Anyway, I had all this virgin hair on my head and thought I'd try something new. So, I took myself down to my friends salon and ordered a curl. I liked the look but, it didn't work out too well. I hated the gel and spray activator. My hair was about the length it is now. I hated the sticky feeling on the back of my neck, but, I didn't want to cut any more hair off. First I tried to stop using the activator. My hair was so dry it started to break off in clumps mostly on the top of my head. I went back to my friend a month after she put the Wave Nouveau in for a color. She pounded into my head that I had to keep it moist. I refused to use the spray, except after washing. But, I did start to use the gel every day after that. I got headbands in every width, texture and color of the rainbow. They kept my hair off my neck, ears and face.

I never did go back for a touch-up. I just kept on using the gel and wearing headbands until I had another years worth of new growth on my head. April '05 I went back to my friend, had her cut the little bit of the curl that was left out and relaxed my whole head again.

If I had known about this board, I may have kept it all natural at least for a little while. I didn't know anything about moisturizing, sealing, shea butter, co-washes or anything else natural ladies here do for natural hair.

Blaque*Angel

Name: Blaque*Angel

Age at The Time of JC*:
Age 7-16 (but had relaxers in between cutting off all my hair!)

Describe Your Jheri Curl Experience:
It was cool, the longest my hair as ever been to date, All my 6 sisters had one too, but before that we had afro's, like the Jackson 5. We used to comb ours out so it was more "wavy" than "curly"! We also used to blow it out at Christmas time to see our growth.

I always baggyed my hair as it felt much more softer and moisturised in the morning..
I still use the products I used to use when I had my JC
:)

preciousjewel76

Tzarina said:
I almost got one. My Aunty was retouching my uncles Jheri curl and she had a lil' bit left over so she went after me. Luckly mom was there to save me (thank you mom).

There's a guy who gets on my bus whos still rocking the Jheri curl mullet.

:lachen: :lachen: ***DEAD***:lachen: :lachen:

Name: CandiceC
Age at The Time of JC*:
Age 8-12

Describe Your Jheri Curl Experience:
I didn't like it even though it helped me retain length. My mom felt I needed it because my hair was always dry and I would scratch my scalp to no end. So she took me to get a JC. Yeah my hair was always moisturized, but my mom put too much "jheri curl juice" on my hair. One day in fourth grade I'm standing in Devotion (@ a Christian school.) The older fifth grade boys were inthe row behind us girls. And some of them were cute. Anyways while we're singing and praising the Lord the juice is dripping from my hair onto the chair! :eek: I was mortified. I went back to the room afterwards and cried. I told my mom she needed to cut back on the juice.