Keeping Braids Fresh

Brownshugaz

Hi I got extensions (braids) January 20th but they are starting to look a little raggedy. My hair is growing ridiculously fast and I know they're not slipping out because the were TIGHT when I first got them. I washed it Tuesday night in big braids with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint shampoo and Suave Milk&Honey smoothed down the braid.
I really don't want to take them out as yet. It hasn't even been a month and I intend on getting my money's worth but I don't want to be walking around looking a hot mess! I'm aiming to keep them until Spring Break, the last week of March. Is there anyway to preserve my braids?

Hi Brownshugaz :)

I also have braids in right now that I am trying to keep in until the end of March!

After you washed on Tuesday, did you tie on a scarf right after you got out of the shower? I find that this keeps the braids looking extremely smooth and shiny. I actually rinse every other day, condition, and apply a light oil and the braids stay smooth on the off days.

Sleeping with a scarf also helps to keep frizz at bay.

Congrats on all the new growth!

Sweet_Ambrosia

Wearing a scarf at night & using a good braid spray should keep your braids looking fresh. I had mine since early Febuary & i plan to keep them in until late March,so far they still look fresh.

OshunCurls~Wouldnt it take longer for the braids to completely dry by putting a scarf on right after shampooing them?

I usually wait until my braids are completely dry before putting a scarf on.

oglorious1

Mixologist
You kinda did a wrong right, Dr. Bronners has peppermint in it which stimulates growth, thereby causing your braids to last a shorter length of time...

hottopic

I kept my braid in for one month then when back and did 2 weeks. Wear a big silk scarf (no questions asked) If your braids are abundant for the scarf get the cap. It will kept it from looking messy. Then after you was your hair put the braid spray in after, but don't do it while it is extremely wet.Try not to rub the towel while drying...Just pat it down with the towel. Hope this helps

LABETT

I keep my braids fresh my using a braid spray and wearing a silk scarf like the other ladies discussed.
When my braid get old and start looking rough I will use Loreal Vive Intense Serum to help with the frizz and shine.
I also tie my hair up with a bandanna over my silk scarf at night.