Keeping NG soft/manageable until touch-up?

LadyZ

I want to keep my new growth under control and comb-able until I get my touch-up...I will be getting a touch-up in 2 weeks... the 5 days before my touch-up, I do not want to apply products that will prevent my relaxer from working well? What products will help me achieve this?
I am 4b, I usually use Scurl and coconut oil to seal the moisture...

What do you ladies use to prevent build up before a relaxer that will keep my hair soft and moisturized. and also allow the relaxer to process the hair?.. This becomes A very crucial time for me where all my progress can go down the drain, from excessive dryness and breakage... I need help to
get through the last few days....

TIA

Last edited:

Junonia

LadyZ said:
I want to keep my new growth under control and comb-able until I get my touch-up...I will be getting a touch-up in 2 weeks... the 5 days before my touch-up, I do not want to apply products that will prevent my relaxer from working well? What products will help me achieve this?
I am 4b, I usually use Scurl and coconut oil to seal the moisture...

What do you ladies use to prevent build up before a relaxer that will keep my hair soft and moisturized. and also allow the relaxer to process the hair?.. This becomes A very crucial time for me where all my progress can go down the drain, from excessive dryness and breakage... I need help to
get through the last few days....

TIA

Bumpin...ITA with the bolded. My hair is okay right now but once I get about an inch of new growth, my hair takes a turn for the worse even with frequent washes.

klb120475

I transitioned a while back for about 6 or 7 months so, now that I'm back to relaxing dealing with the new growth doesn't seem like the chore that it use to be. Now, it doesn't bother me at all:look: .

Msm has worked wonders on softening my new growth.

I'm not a hair guru like the other ladies, so I'm not sure which products not to use before relaxing. I do remember reading not to use topical sulfur based products 2 weeks before relaxing, so I stopped BT'ing 2 weeks prior.

nissi

well for me the key is moisture in the form of water. my last t-up was in jan...

i cowash regularly and seal with castor oil based mixtures, and surge mixed with wgo. then i use the fantasia i c gel, which for me gives wonderful control. then i pull it back into a ponytail or bun.

when i wore my hair dry, using the biosilk serum really helped to detangle prior to styling, unless you can't deal with cones.

HTH! HHG!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well for me it's DC with a very very moisturizing and mega slip DC that will loosen the curl pattern allowing the comb to just glide through the hair from root to tip. Once I'm done rinsing out the DC I use a wide or medium tooth comb to comb through under running shower water into a low pontail. I thin apply my normal leave-ins and yesterday I tied sanex around my head and put the end of the pony into a single platt. My NG is layed soft and very easy to finger part through so that I can apply my Nature's Blessing and castor oil to scalp.

This is the firt time I used the sanex to flaten the NG and it worked better than my satin scarf, that thing is just to slippery to tie down tight enough so that I can get the NG extra flat, and it worked.

When I'm extra post relaxer I normally use silicone Mix as a DC, but lately I've been using my new favorite DC Praital Silk Worm Humectant.

tarheelgurl

I found that mixing coconut oil with a conditioner (i used GF sleek and shine) that my new growth was soooooooo managable! I could comb it with no worries and it was soft.

LadyZ

Thank you ladies... Sorry:( , for using the bold "BUMPING"... I forgot it meant yelling:cool: ...

I will try some of the suggestions... I just want to keep this jungle under control for the few days before my touch up with out over loading it with products that will prevent my relaxer from taking... I will let you know how it goes.... Thank you again:D :) ...

Proudpiscean

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Well for me it's DC with a very very moisturizing and mega slip DC that will loosen the curl pattern allowing the comb to just glide through the hair from root to tip. Once I'm done rinsing out the DC I use a wide or medium tooth comb to comb through under running shower water into a low pontail. I thin apply my normal leave-ins and yesterday I tied sanex around my head and put the end of the pony into a single platt. My NG is layed soft and very easy to finger part through so that I can apply my Nature's Blessing and castor oil to scalp.

This is the firt time I used the sanex to flaten the NG and it worked better than my satin scarf, that thing is just to slippery to tie down tight enough so that I can get the NG extra flat, and it worked.

When I'm extra post relaxer I normally use silicone Mix as a DC, but lately I've been using my new favorite DC Praital Silk Worm Humectant.

Yes, I totally agree with the bolded part! Also NOT combing/brushing between washes :yep:
I keep the newgrowth moisturized with watered down s-curl (or my spray bottle concoction) between washes.

JazzyDez

I wash & dc 2 or 3 days before my relaxer. I DC and then use NTM silk touch as a leave in and apply a small amount of scurl & tie down w/silk scarf. I lightly moisturize until its time for my relaxer.

CAPlush

JazzyDez said:
I wash & dc 2 or 3 days before my relaxer. I DC and then use NTM silk touch as a leave in and apply a small amount of scurl & tie down w/silk scarf. I lightly moisturize until its time for my relaxer.

I wash pretty close to my relaxer as well, 2-3 days. I comb through thoroughly with a medium tooth dressing comb while wet, pull it back with my leave-ins, then let it dry. Before my relaxer, I apply WGO to my scalp and new growth and comb again with the medium tooth comb.

gymfreak336

I like to wash 3 days before my relaxer and I use the strongest moisturizing conditioner I have and I leave it on for over an hour. When I get alot of newgrowth I have to extend my conditioning time. I am almost 6 weeks post now and I am conditioning for atleast 45 minutes. Boundless Tresses and hairobics hair oil help my new growth stay soft but I tend to put too much on sometimes. Msm is really helps many ladies. I have some but I am not consistent enough with taking it to reap that benefit.