Kissing PJ Days Goodbye! {smooch}

inthepink

Anyone else tired of being a Product Junkie?
I finally got fed up with myself last month and decided that I was going to simplify my routine, decide on some basic products, and most importantly stick with it. No more trying new products. No more trying the "next best thing." And to top off that, no products that cost over 6 bucks (individally). And if it is $6, there'd better be a large amount!

Surprisingly, after only a week, I have found pretty much everything I need based on products I already had and a few "cheap" purchases that have all been working WONDERFULLY on my hair. I am SO happy with my hair right now that I just wanted to share.

Any recovered PJs out there? What was the breaking point for you? How do you keep from falling off the wagon?

Yesterday, at Sally's, I smelled the wonderful Coconut Hair Lotion by Suenos (I think) and oh gawd, I wanted it.
But, it was $6.99 and I have nowhere to fit it into my routine so back on the shelf it went. I can get that same lovely coconut smell from Suave Coconut for 99 cents!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday, at Sally's, I smelled the wonderful Coconut Hair Lotion by Suenos

[/ QUOTE ]

Sally's you say?

pink_flower

I feel you hairlove! I need to get outta the PJ game! I was never really bad but I had my moments. I just rather spend my money on other stuff.

I think I have the hair thing down now. It was like I was on never ending a quest for the next best thing but the whole time Im buying all this junk, my hair was still growing-which is my MAIN objective
. So all these new products really didnt make much of difference. My hair wasnt missing anything that I wasnt giving it, ya know!?

I also wondered about the whole salon/drugstore thing, but honestly my hair has responded well to drugstore/sally stuff, so I'm trying to stick with that.

But for me good hair care really comes to technique.

inthepink

Sassygirl - yep. There's a whole line called Suenos with a shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and oil (I think). The coconut hair lotion smelled amazing!! It was at the front of the store in a display. You go buy it and try it and let me know what you think!

inthepink

pink flower - It really hit when I realized that when I was relaxed I used all of 5 products on my hair. I wasn't even interested in looking at other products! I enjoyed my pj days but I hope I can keep them behind me. I would like to spend my money on other things. I have also been really inspired when I see others with gorgeous hair from cheaper products and simple regimens.

Cinnabuns

I was such a PJ when I came here to LHCF. I had to try everyone's recomendations for shampoo, condtioner, etc.

I guess my breaking point was when I cared more about hair products than my job (i.e. looking for products over the Internet during work hours, making stops at the BSS while on company arrands, etc.)

Now that I have found what works for me I can happliy say that I am free from PJ - ing for good. And I've caught up on my work at my job

Kha

I hear you Hairlove, I got on that PJ bandwagon for a couple of months and then I added up how much I had spent. I was SICK
. To make it so bad...I didn't even have space to store all that stuff. I had to BUY another organizer and rearrange my room and bathroom just to accomodate all that I had bought. I wasn't just buying products, I was buying lots and lots of accessories too. It's crazy, because if you look in my album, I don't even wear accessories

After I realized just how much I had spent, I said I am done being a PJ!
And I wasn't buying nothing else! I actually went on a product challenge for TWO months straight...and after those two months were up, I still had a good stash to last another month or so.

I just buy stuff now as needed and I'm not spending over 5 dollars...and that's pushing it. I truly try to give products a chance now instead of being so quick to say "oh, this doesn't work" after using it only once or twice. So much stuff can be enhanced by just adding a few drops of oil or mixing them with something else.

That was truly an experience and I think most of us go through that...it's fun. Plus, there are soooo many products to try and it seems like something new comes out every week. I just can't keep up, so I'm done with it.

Carlie

I'm really happy for all of you recovered PJ's out there...but I don't think I've been on my hair journey long enough to be tired of it...I'm still having too much fun!

Nay

I was never an all-out PJ, but something about this board does make you want to try stuff. The excitement of having it delivered. The wondering thoughts of, "Will this make my hair shiny, curly," (fill in the blank). I remember one time literally being EXCITED to wash my hair and try my new purchase. Only to discover that... It didn't do anything special at all!!!!

Yup, I took a couple hits on that PJ pipe, and now I'm going back to abstaining from spending

amy1234

congrats hairlove! now just imagine all the money you will be saving! you could probably buy something nice with all the money you'll be saving like jewelery or a cute out fit
... I know I am

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
curlybun said:
congrats hairlove! now just imagine all the money you will be saving! you could probably buy something nice with all the money you'll be saving like jewelery or a cute out fit
... I know I am

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I have more haircare products than clothing!

inthepink

KhaLesSta,

You were actually my final inspiration and turning point. When I saw how beautiful your hair was on cheaper products and a simple routine, I thought - I can do that, too!

I would love to move my limit down to $5 like you but that coconut oil costs $5.89 at my health food store.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Yup, I took a couple hits on that PJ pipe, and now I'm going back to abstaining from spending

[/ QUOTE ]

PJ pipe...I love it!!

Ayeshia

The last thing I wanna try is the NTM and then Im done! I dont think Im a PJ anyway. If anything I just have a boatload of cheap conditioners that will go by very quick becasue I do co washes everyday:) But I only have one moisturizer and 2 leave ins besides the conditioners. Oh and this Honeykiss Hairdress by Dark N lovely.

Tai

I need to join PJ anonymous, too.
I have way too many products and I know what's working now. I confess there are a couple (Nexxus and Skala) of products that I want to try but after those, that's it. I've been rearranging my budget to buy hair products.

So after those purchases, I'm only using those things that work that I've already tried. The only way I'd try something new is if my current products stop working once I have more natural hair.

Kha

You're right, you can do it Hairlove! It'll just take some trial and error. As far as your limit, you can always make exceptions

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
The only way I'd try something new is if my current products stop working once I have more natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This, I understand! I had a lot of "this stopped working" as I've been transitioning. I think I am finally at the stage where I have mostly natural hair and I believe what I'm using now will continue to work when I'm fully natural.

G

My only cure is getting braids. Then once it's time to take the braids out I have a celebration at the BSS. Oh it's terrible I know I spend up to fify bucks.

ubavka123

I am done, too. I told my husband last night that I did not need any more products. I still have stuff that I am waiting for from Fed-ex! Yesterday I went to Trade Secret and bought Kenra shampoo and conditioner. Love the conditioner, but the shampoo was so-so. I have my products that I love and I don't see why I keep jumping on the bandwagon, so I quit. Thanks to PJism, I found my staples, but if I continue, I am going to have a closet full of so-so products going to waste (not to mention money down the drain). No more puffs on the pipe for me either! (LOL at Nay).
I even wrote my staples down on a piece of paper in my hair journal and vowed only to purchase for refills.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
I even wrote my staples down on a piece of paper in my hair journal and vowed only to purchase for refills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also written mine down and am keeping a hair journal to keep myself from returning to pjism!

H

honey_jammz82

HL, I am right behind you. I just made my last big purchase, I have decided to stick to some good core products that work well for me already!

Good Luck!!!!

Michelle79

I have been curbing my PJ ways as well. I've been a PJ for almost a year & within the year I have found most of my staples, so there is no need for anymore $50 a week binges at Sally/Ulta/etc.,

I do want some Deep Brilliance products....badly!!

Allandra

Great thread hairlove. It sounds like you've been delivered from the evil pj syndrome. Remember, I was a pj back then. I aint no mo' tho'.
Thank goodness.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Girl, I hear ya.

so1913

Girl, I'm trying!!!! I realized I'm working a decent job and not paying rent at the time (living with parents again temporarily). Granted, I have a good amount of bills, but after I pay those, I SHOULD have a decent amount of money left over from my pay check. NOT!!!! I spend to much on my hair!!!! :-(

blue_flower

I've decided that it's time for me to get off the PJ wagon. I have so much conditioner that I won't have to buy any more until the end of next month. I have a jar of gel that's more than a year old. Some of that stuff I'll probably toss out because it's taking up too much space.

ladylibra_30

i'm getting off at the next stop too. however, i've always been a product junkie (since 13 yrs old) with all products not just hair products. i'm am truly tired. besides, i keep going back to the same 3 product lines (design essentials, keracare, nexxus (which i'm starting to dislike) i have some products that i haven't even used (ocassionally i sniff them
but that's it) i just have some just for the sake of having them. sad!