Lace wigs

Do lace wigs look fake

• Yes i think they look fake.

Votes: 123 28.0%
  • No i think they look fine.... if you get a good one.

Votes: 316 72.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keedah

I just ordered a 14 inch silky straight lace wig from ebay! It was $240 but since no one purchased it the seller put it on sale for $218 plus free shipping when it was 3 hours left.

I wont be applying it until I take my kinky twists out after October 25th but I will post pics then. I also purchased a regular human hair wig as a back up in case things dont work out!

Keedah

Now Im just trying to figure out how Im going to put it on. Has anyone used just tape? Are they better than using an adhesive? I will be taking my unit down weekly so I dont need a super strong hold...just something that will last 7-10 days.

NClady

The only thing about tape, it can shine like the sun in the front. Check out blackhairmedia and do a search. The ladies over there are very helpful and will tell you if you use tape, how to cut the shine down. I only use tape in the back and sides.

Now Im just trying to figure out how Im going to put it on. Has anyone used just tape? Are they better than using an adhesive? I will be taking my unit down weekly so I dont need a super strong hold...just something that will last 7-10 days.

Keedah

The only thing about tape, it can shine like the sun in the front. Check out blackhairmedia and do a search. The ladies over there are very helpful and will tell you if you use tape, how to cut the shine down. I only use tape in the back and sides.

Thanks. I also see from some videos on youtube that your more likely to get the tape on your actual hairline. I think Im gonna try a cream adhesive like Invisibond.

MA2010

Thanks. I also see from some videos on youtube that your more likely to get the tape on your actual hairline. I think Im gonna try a cream adhesive like Invisibond.

I can't wait to see it on you girl! Please post pics!!!:yep:

Mis007

Lace wigs are alot of work :yep:. I think they defeat the object of having something that requires less work than your own hair. But yes they do look good...
oh and be extra careful with your hairline as some users have complained of damage...​

Last edited:

NClady

Just make sure that you apply the lace wig right in front of the hairline, and make sure that you don't apply it too far down because it will end up making you look crazy..trust me I've done it before and have to reapply it. Let me know if you have any questions applying it. Also check out my fotki, I have pictures of my lace wig on..

Keedah

Lace wigs are alot of work :yep:. I think they defeat the object of having something that requires less work than your own hair. But yes they do look good...
oh and be extra careful with your hairline as some users have complained of damage...​

I plan on wearing mine for about 4 weeks then switching to a regular wig for a couple of weeks. For those that are new to the game there is a seller on Ebay that sells a trial kit of 3 adhesives, 2 kinds of tape, lace release, knot sealer, wig cap, and skin protect for $40.

dannie

Just wanted to update on my lace experience.

I got mine in July and thought it would be something I wear on occasion but now I am fully addicted! I've worn mine constantly. I wash my hair and deep condition once a month and wear it down for about a week. Then back to the wig! I coat my real hair in oil so it doesnt dry out under the wig cap.

I havent noticed any hairline damage. I try to be really careful and wait until the glue is fully disolved before I take it off. I even asked my sister if she noticed damage and she said no, and shes my toughest critic. lol!

I have realized that lace fronts are alot of work and upkeep. I think I spend more time with this wig then I did on my real hair. Its a curly unit and curly hair requires alot of maintenance. Plus the touch ups around the perimeter during the week. But I'm satisfied that I'm protecting my real hair.

I gave up trying to glue down the back and use bobby pins. I'm still able to wear my hair up because i tuck the lace under my wig cap so it blends really well. Also, I found that a eyeliner pencil in a color closet to my skin tone helps blend the unit to my skin. I tried mascara and concealer but this has worked best for me.

My hair has definantly grown alot and I hope to be MBL by early next year.

I think anyone thinking about it should go for it! Its really nice to be able to look cute everyday and protect your real hair. I thought about buying a lacefront for 6 months before I did and it really was a good decision.

Last edited:

Keedah

Just wanted to update on my lace experience.

I got mine in July and thought it would be something I wear on occasion but now I am fully addicted! I've worn mine constantly. I wash my hair and deep condition once a month and wear it down for about a week. Then back to the wig!

I havent noticed any hairline damage. I try to be really careful and wait until the glue is fully disolved before I take it off. I even asked my sister if she noticed damage and she said no, and shes my toughest critic. lol!

I have realized that lace fronts are alot of work and upkeep. I think I spend more time with this wig then I did on my real hair. Its a curly unit and curly hair requires alot of maintenance. But I'm satisfied that I'm protecting my real hair.

I gave up trying to glue down the back and use bobby pins. I'm still able to wear my hair up because i tuck the lace under my wig cap so it blends really well.

My hair has definantly grown alot and I hope to be MBL by early next year.

Thanks for sharing. I have my unit now and just have to bleach the knots and cut it into a style. Im learning a lot over at BHM's lace wig board!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I realized that I never posted pics of my hair well here they go....

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image_6.jpg
    image_6.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 144

butterfly3582

I agree 110%. They take ALOT of work. That is why i finally stop using them on a daily basis. After a year of that i was ready for a break. I do wear them ocassionally still.

trinidarkie1

Hi Ladies, Sorry that I still have not posted my pics. My lace wig journey has been some thing else! I couldn't get that thing on properly to save my life. I too have given up on attaching the back, I have no neck and I feel like it's all down my back, lol, so I use bobby pins to attach it to my cornrows under neath. So far no damage in front, and the re-application of the glue has been some thing else.
Unfortunately I managed to get some glue on the hairline and I am having a difficult time getting it off.

I've worn it for about three weeks non-stop, took it off last night and washed and deep conditioned it, roller set and hood dried it. Will re-apply tonight or I might switch to using another wig and then re-apply that in another week or so. I might focus on treating my hair this week.

It is a lot of work, but I am very happy that I got one, it's so worth it.

MA2010

Ladies,
I'm placing my order this week for my very 1st lace front. Thank you to these ladies were ispirations and who provided great information:

:thankyou:
Bermuda Beauty
Ms B Haven06
NClady
Atlanta JJ

I'm so glad I subscribed to this thread!:yep:

MA2010

Question: which cap should I get?

1. cap 01 swiss or french lace with stretch in crown
2. cap 02 full lace without stretch lace (circumference 22.5inches )
3. cap 04 swiss or french lace with stretch from ear to ear

This threw me for a loop ladies....help please!

kurlybella

^^^if it's your first time -- french! (2)
swiss rips easily. trust me, every customer that bought swiss when i advised against noobie wear REGRETED IT!

Keedah

Question: which cap should I get?

1. cap 01 swiss or french lace with stretch in crown
2. cap 02 full lace without stretch lace (circumference 22.5inches )
3. cap 04 swiss or french lace with stretch from ear to ear

This threw me for a loop ladies....help please!

Id say french with either the ear to ear or crown stretch. Some kinda way I ripped my french lace unit so I know I would ruin a swiss lace. The stretch helps with fit.

plzgrow

i do not know how I missed this thread... I love lace wigs ... They can look so natural that it is unbeweaveable.......

I currently found out about syntheic lace wigs from beverly Johnson and they look the bomb as well but they do not last long.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I voted that yes they look fake because I can always spot the lace a mile away. I'm not hating on women that wear them, but many women who do wear them do not take the time to put them on correctly.

Keedah

i do not know how I missed this thread... I love lace wigs ... They can look so natural that it is unbeweaveable.......

I currently found out about syntheic lace wigs from beverly Johnson and they look the bomb as well but they do not last long.

Seriously I stare at my head all the time cause Im amazed at how real it looks! :grin: This clear girl had the nerve to ask me "is that all your hair" at work the other day. I just acted like I didnt hear her!

trinidarkie1

Does any one have some Adhesive that they would like to sell or trade? I'm out of my Ultra Bond and I need some. I'd really like to try the Ms Lola's Adhesive Cream but I can't afford it. *frown*

annieup

how long do these wigs last(total life)? and how long do they last once applied to your forehead with glue?

I replace mine every 3-4 months. i dye it, brush it, apply heat to it almost everyday and don't always wear a scarf to bed when i'm lazy. so I'm sure if you take better care, it'll probably last much longer. I personally don't use glue because that Ultra Hold Glue is too strong for my sparse edges. i use double sided hair tape and remove every week