Lacefront Wigs: My Review (VERY VERY LONG)

atlien11

Ok so I waited a week after I got the lace front to try to give a very detailed review on the real deal about these wigs. I feel like there hasn’t been a review that has a lot of pictures that go with it so I am going to attempt to give an accurate scoop on how this all works and hopefully my fotki will give u a visual idea. Ill try not bore u to death.

How I ordered:
I decided to go through a salon to order my LF because I wanted to know exactly what I was getting instead of sending my money overseas and some random wig showing up at my door. I went to this salon and Melanie took my measurements, took my specs, and took my money. She was the one who ended up sending my money overseas but at least this way, I could get my money back if I didn’t like the wig :grin:.

Wig Specs:
I don’t remember my exact measurements (she kept them on file) however here were my specs.
1. Color: 1B
2. Texture: Relaxed. This was recommended because the texture mimics AA hair the best
3. Length: 20 Inch
4. Density: Med to Thick
5. I DO NOT have lace all the way around. Just from ear to ear. I have no intentions on wearing my hair in a ponytail so I saved a little $$ by not ordering lace around the entire perimeter. So basically the front is lace and the back is the wig band. The other reason I did this was so that I can learn how to put the LF on/off myself and since this is a starter wig, it would give me some practice without having to mess around with the glue in my nape area.

Cost:
The wig itself with the maintenance kit cost $425. The reason it was only $425 was because I have no highlights, only lace from ear to ear, and it’s a straight texture. I really wanted my first wig to mimic my own hair so that I could evaluate it and see if its worth spending more money in the future on another unit.

Application (cost for application = $150):
When I went back to the salon, Melanie did the following (sorry for all the lists but im trying to keep it simple):
1.Wash
2.Deep condition
3.Hood dryer for 20-25 minutes
4.Blow-dry for 10-15
5.Braided me up from ear to ear. This way there is no bump in the back.

After all that she put glue around my hairline. I wasn’t too fond of this part because some of my hair got glue in it. If you are not careful on this part, it’s easy to screw up your hairline. Anyway, she applied it and let me sit for it to dry.

Cut and Style (DASS Salon $45.00):
Ok this was WAY TOO much hair. It was long and thick and heavy (the pic is in my fotki). I didn’t like it to the point where I debated just taking it off and throwing it in the trash. I ended up making a crash appointment at this salon in Atlanta called DASS. Now DASS is a salon geared toward white people and I debated all that morning if I should go to a black salon but I needed a good CUT and LAYER. Ladies, you know how black salons can be with them scissors :nono: so I stuck with my DASS appointment. I ended up in the chair of the only black girl that worked there. She thinned out the wig and gave me some great layers (see pics in fotki), now all I needed to do was go home and wash it/flat iron it.

What I Like:
1. I feel like this really does mimic my own hair, which was my goal. It took a week and a few washes to grow on me but it finally worked out. It’s nice to wash and blow-dry someone else’s hair, lol!! If you look in my album you can see that the blowdried texture looks like AA might when dried. The freshly washed hair looks great! I went to a pool party yesterday with some very well known people and all I got were compliments!

2. It rained at that pool party yesterday and I didn’t have to run like hell to get out of it. This hair didn’t frizz up so even in the humidity of outside, I was still looking nice.

What I dislike:
1. This glue sucks :perplexed . It gets very sticky. Because I wear my hair down and not off of my face it’s not that big of deal but for future units, im going to have to start doing my research on something that holds. I have been looking on BHM; those ladies have it down pat.

2. The Part. I think this unit came with a ‘natural’ part already in it. That crap about being able to part anywhere is not necessarily true on my unit. I had to force my part into submission via a little heat and tying down at night. It worked out but I can’t just part on the other side at whim.

3. Its hot as Hades in Atlanta. Although the lace provides great ventilation, it’s just hot.

4. Washing. This wig does not like products and oil; therefore it looks best when washed. So in other words, I can’t just go a week without washing/flat ironing this hair.

5. The Hair: This hair has been dyed to get the 1B color so it doesn’t feel as ‘authentic’ or ‘virgin’ as I would have liked. The hair I was selling was a lot more authentic I think next time I am going to buy that same hair in bulk and have a wig made. I have a friend in Jacksonville who makes and sells LF units.

The Haters: Men have no idea that this is not my hair. In all actuality it looks like my hair, just a lot thicker. I was at that pool party yesterday and they were clueless which I thought was funny. “Those Dominicans hooked you UP!!!” I just smiled and nodded. The girls were suspect. They weren’t to sure but they trying to look. They saw the ‘part’ in my hair so I think they just gave up. One girl’s boyfriend at the store was staring at me but his girlfriend quickly snapped at him ‘That can’t be all her hair!!’. LOL.

Anyway, that’s my review, I hope I didn’t leave anything out but please post any and all questions.

Last edited:

Tayw29

Im glad you like your wig, i too have one and refuse to put it on my head for the summer because its hot and the glue is kinda sticky. I love it though and cant wait for the temperature to cool down so i can put it back on:)

atlien11

Tayw29 said:
Im glad you like your wig, i too have one and refuse to put it on my head for the summer because its hot and the glue is kinda sticky. I love it though and cant wait for the temperature to cool down so i can put it back on:)
What glue did you use? Do you have any rec's??

atlien11

MeccaMedinah said:
Lovely! It looks so real.
But I read on BHM that a popular LF glue can cause cancer :confused: . So be careful!
Dang, i forgot to post about that. Glad you brought that up. I have a close college friend that is a polymer/fiber engineer and i had her come over to look at the list of ingredients on my "maintenance kit" and on a popular surgical website. She said alot of those skin adhesives do contain carcinogens (sp??) and i am NOT feeling that. Especially since you sweat along your hairline and the pores are open. I think when i remove this glue, i am going to stick to the tape only. I think this will work out since i am not showing off my hairline by wearing it up or back. Thanks meccaMedinah because i am very health conscious.

Last edited:

imani97

Beautiful! I was about to throw mine out, but you've given me hope. Mine is in my fotki too. I had it thinned out, but it isn't thin enough. Any suggestions?

atlien11

Imani, Your unit actually doesnt look too thick in my opinion. I really like the color! How many times have you washed it since you've had it? Mine, looked a lot better after i did i washed/blowdried/flatironed. The layers really came out. I guess you could get it thinned a little more if you wanted, just be careful who you take the unit to because too much would compromise the wig. In my album, you can see the thinned pics and at first i thought it was thinned too much but it fluffed out after the washings.

one more thing, did you braid your hair under it? I found it to be less bulky.

crlsweetie912

BEAUTIFUL! I especially like the pic where you have a little flip on the ends. It looks wonderful on you!

OT: you photograph really well!

RabiaElaine

Hey girl...it looks great. How do you moisturize your own hair while under the lace, or do you just wait to take it off? How long do you plan to keep it on before taking it off?

Tayw29

atlien11 said:
What glue did you use? Do you have any rec's??

I used the Mity tite, ultrahold, and the tape, i didnt like the tape too much becuz it didnt dry clear.. The glue was pretty good but i sweat so much in my head and hairline it woulnt stay down, but on BHM a few people suggested using certain dry deoderant to stop the area were the glue is placed from sweating so im gonna try it again. I also plan to purchase a new one (straight indian remy) because the one i have is indian remy wavy its really pretty but i want to be able to alternate.

atlien11

crlsweetie912 said:
BEAUTIFUL! I especially like the pic where you have a little flip on the ends. It looks wonderful on you! OT: you photograph really well!
Thanks, my crappy little camera phone came in handy.

RabiaElaine said:
Hey girl...it looks great. How do you moisturize your own hair while under the lace, or do you just wait to take it off? How long do you plan to keep it on before taking it off?
I wash my hair in the shower so my hair under get moisturized then. The conditioner seeps through the lace so it get a light condioner wash eveytime i wash it. I plan on keeping it in just for another week or two (that would make 3 weeks total), and then i am going to remove it and wash my real hair. I was 10 weeks post when i put the LF on so i am a little worried about my hair tangling bad while they are in cornrows.

atlien11

Tayw29 said:
I used the Mity tite, ultrahold, and the tape, i didnt like the tape too much becuz it didnt dry clear.. The glue was pretty good but i sweat so much in my head and hairline it woulnt stay down, but on BHM a few people suggested using certain dry deoderant to stop the area were the glue is placed from sweating so im gonna try it again.
Thanks! Can you post
1. where you got your glue from
2. How much it cost
3. What supplies do you need to remove the glue ( i heard acetone works). Thanks!! :D

imani97

atlien11 said:
Imani, Your unit actually doesnt look too thick in my opinion. I really like the color! How many times have you washed it since you've had it? Mine, looked a lot better after i did i washed/blowdried/flatironed. The layers really came out. I guess you could get it thinned a little more if you wanted, just be careful who you take the unit to because too much would compromise the wig. In my album, you can see the thinned pics and at first i thought it was thinned too much but it fluffed out after the washings.

one more thing, did you braid your hair under it? I found it to be less bulky.

I haven't washed it at all and also did a half behind job braiding my hair underneath. I will definitely hold on to it to work with it. And to think, someone almost got a free lf wig. I am so glad you talked me out of it.

Pics all look great and thanks for sharing. i have a question, though. When you style (blowdry, curl) your lf are you wearing it at the time? If not how do you keep it from falling off the headblock?

atlien11

CreoleBelle said:
ATLIEN your LF is gorgeous!!!!:)
Thank you ;)

anatomicallycorrect said:
Pics all look great and thanks for sharing. i have a question, though. When you style (blowdry, curl) your lf are you wearing it at the time? If not how do you keep it from falling off the headblock?
Thats a great question! Yes, i am doing all of this while its on my head. Once you glue that sucker on your head, its on (or should stay on anyway :look: ). When i first went for my consulation, i thought you could take the wig on and off, not the case.

atlien11 said:
Thank you ;)

Thats a great question! Yes, i am doing all of this while its on my head. Once you glue that sucker on your head, its on (or should stay on anyway :look: ). When i first went for my consulation, i thought you could take the wig on and off, not the case.
Oh, OK, Thanks! :)

tuffCOOKiE

So how long do you leave it on for on top of your head before removing it and re-applying it? (rebraiding, etc)

And when you wash the unit, what happens to your regular hair (your own)

The reason I'm asking is because when you wash it, how can you put conditoner on your hair (not the unit) so you can retain your length? When I wet my hair, its HAS to get moisturized some way!!

Thank you!!

Also, you are gorgeous! You remind me that I need to get my eyebrows done!!

atlien11

tuffCOOKiE said:
So how long do you leave it on for on top of your head before removing it and re-applying it? (rebraiding, etc)

And when you wash the unit, what happens to your regular hair (your own)

The reason I'm asking is because when you wash it, how can you put conditoner on your hair (not the unit) so you can retain your length? When I wet my hair, its HAS to get moisturized some way!!

Thank you!!

Also, you are gorgeous! You remind me that I need to get my eyebrows done!!
I am only leaving it on for 2 weeks so that i can remove it and rebraid my own hair. The girl who installed it said that most of her clients leave it on for a month :look:.

When i wash the unit, i put conditioner on the entire unit. Some of the conditioner seeps through the lace onto my own hair. Once i started rinsing ( i do all of this in the shower) the conditoner on my own hair gets washed too, hence, the light conditioner wash. The ventilation allows my hair to air dry Plus when i blow dry the unit, it dries a little that way as well.

Thank you for the compliment! Dont sleep on those Indian girls who do the eyebrow threading, its amazing how much 'cleaner' your face looks with properly groomed/shaped brows! Im hooked! :grin:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I am mad at you :mad: Your pictures on your Fotki are absolutely gorgeous and I cannot post any comments! :poke: Your hair with and without the LF is gorgeous. I think I found a new hair idol :D

atlien11

PrettyHaitian said:
I am mad at you :mad: Your pictures on your Fotki are absolutely gorgeous and I cannot post any comments! :poke: Your hair with and without the LF is gorgeous. I think I found a new hair idol :D
LOL at the :poke: I have my comments turned off because people arent always as nice as you. I just stalked your album and I KNOW you arent talking about pretty hair!! Yours is fab (the natural way).

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
atlien11 said:
LOL at the :poke: I have my comments turned off because people arent always as nice as you. I just stalked your album and I KNOW you arent talking about pretty hair!! Yours is fab (the natural way).

If someone left you a mean coment I wouldn't be surprised if they were :drunk2: :drunk2: or was just plain ole' jealous!!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliment :)

RabiaElaine

atlien11 said:
Thanks, my crappy little camera phone came in handy.

I wash my hair in the shower so my hair under get moisturized then. The conditioner seeps through the lace so it get a light condioner wash eveytime i wash it. I plan on keeping it in just for another week or two (that would make 3 weeks total), and then i am going to remove it and wash my real hair. I was 10 weeks post when i put the LF on so i am a little worried about my hair tangling bad while they are in cornrows.

O ok, so moisture seeps in cool!

atlien11

RabiaElaine, You hair looks GREAT. I went and stalked your sew-in album and its so thick and pretty!! :love:

Irresistible

Girl you and that lacefront are very beautiful!

I would love the idea of doin someone else's hair and it lookin like mine!!!!!! I need a lacefront too!!!!!!