Ladies that color their hair AND natural please come in....

blackbarbie

I may be late for this train and I thought I saw it discussed here once before (but can't seem to find the thread), but I have a theory about natural hair and color.

I declared myself completely natural in October 2009 after a 2 year and 9 month transition. I had been getting it snipped every 45 days and at the most, I got 4-5 inches cut at one time. My siggy is my hair flat ironed in October 2009. The last time I had my hair highlighted was March 2009.

I have been wearing wash n' go's and also doing braidouts. I noticed that some parts of my hair were straighter and/or wavier than other parts, especially in the very back. I knew the very back couldn't still be relaxed ends b/c I hadn't had a relaxer in 3 years. After letting a friend take a look at it, we came to the conclusion that the very nape was probably still relaxed. After all, I never really got a "hair cut" when I declared myself natural, I just judged by most of my relaxed ends being gone when wet (and the nape curled up, although wavy, when wet. If I brushed/combed it all the way out, it would be straight. For a minute, I just thought the back had a looser curl pattern than the rest of my hair). Well I cut about 7 inches off the nape because I figure that when I was getting snipped, he never bothered to lift the hair up and really cut the nape.
DSCF1310.jpg

mynapeasof020710014-1.jpg

mynapeasof020710025.jpg

mynapeasof020710018.jpg

Although I am convinced that the portion of hair I cut still had relaxer on it, I wonder about the portions of my hair that are colored. In the last pic, I have my hair pinned on the top of my head but you can see the ends of the highlighted portions. (I am preparing to deep condition) If you are colored/highlighted, do you find that this hair is much straighter and has a looser curl pattern than the hair that's not highlighted? Or for those ladies that get their hair colored all over, do you find that it loosens your entire curl pattern? Do you like it?

I have decided that although I absolutely love the way my hair looks when it's highlighted, I don't like how it makes my hair feel. When I pull a portion up in a ponytail, it almost feels like I am transitioning again because that hair that has grown out since my last highlight job is much thicker than the colored parts:ohwell:.....I don't like this at all.:nono: I normally would go and get re-colored in March but I think I may just let the color grow out:wallbash: but I really love it! I just don't like the inconsistency when I do a wash and go and it takes too much effort to try to make everything "blend".....

Has anyone else experienced this or am I hallucinating?

BB

Hey!

I have had experience with this before as a natural. When I was first newly natural 2005 I dyed my hair chocolate brown, light brown and blond because a stylist wanted to "create a new look for me". This is what my wash n go's looked like afterwards. Also keep in mind I never took good care of my hair. n11818376_33018469_4720.jpg

I personally think darker colors especially black make the hair appear healthier. This is my newest color and it appears as though my hair texture has been defined. I created a thread of my new color a few days ago.

photo111.jpg

I think in general lighter colors, no matter how much you treat your hair will always damage it in some way, especially making it "thinner" due to its stripping properties, as compared to darker pigments that are actually depositing tint into the strands.

Thats why I prefer to dye my hair a nice rich black color.

ETA:I have a sister who is natural as well, and added light brown highlights to her hair. She does a good job with protective styling and DC'ing but you can definately tell a difference, bc the highlighted portions look stringy

Last edited:
I can relate to everything in your post and this is why I am growing my color out. It isn't unhealty with the color but I know it is not as good as it could be. My color also made my hair straighter and I really hate that.

Hey!

I have had experience with this before as a natural. When I was first newly natural 2005 I dyed my hair chocolate brown, light brown and blond because a stylist wanted to "create a new look for me". This is what my wash n go's looked like afterwards. Also keep in mind I never took good care of my hair. View attachment 57160

I personally think darker colors especially black make the hair appear healthier. This is my newest color and it appears as though my hair texture has been defined. I created a thread of my new color a few days ago.

View attachment 57162

I think in general lighter colors, no matter how much you treat your hair will always damage it in some way, especially making it "thinner" due to its stripping properties, as compared to darker pigments that are actually depositing tint into the strands.

Thats why I prefer to dye my hair a nice rich black color.

ETA:I have a sister who is natural as well, and added light brown highlights to her hair. She does a good job with protective styling and DC'ing but you can definately tell a difference, bc the highlighted portions look stringy

(btw, love your screen name and looking at your hair, I can see why!!!)

Your hair looks great. So with the darker color, I am sure you can even "feel" the difference in the way your strands feel, huh? Although the look (of highlights) is simply divine:grin:, I just don't like the way my tresses feel.
I can tell a marked difference in the "feel" of my hair that hasn't been chemically treated and that portion of it that has been. Never had a problem at all with color when I was relaxed.

Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience.

BB

I can relate to everything in your post and this is why I am growing my color out. It isn't unhealty with the color but I know it is not as good as it could be. My color also made my hair straighter and I really hate that.

I've noticed your color in your siggy and I think it is so beautiful. Like you, my hair isn't damaged at all. In fact, I think I take better care of it now that I am natural and colored than when I was relaxed and colored, but the "relaxed look not on purpose" is not a good look for me.

It is going to be so hard but I am going to let the color grow out. If I get really antsy, I may start cutting it out - like chunks at a time.:ohwell:.....A shoulder length bob couldn't hurt now could it???

When was the last time you got color and how often do you normally get it? Do you wear your hair natural quite a bit? I guess I wouldn't mind it if I didn't wear my hair natural that much but I am really looking forward to wearing it out this spring and summer and this is a bit nerving.

Thanks for your input!

BB

I've noticed your color in your siggy and I think it is so beautiful. Like you, my hair isn't damaged at all. In fact, I think I take better care of it now that I am natural and colored than when I was relaxed and colored, but the "relaxed look not on purpose" is not a good look for me.

It is going to be so hard but I am going to let the color grow out. If I get really antsy, I may start cutting it out - like chunks at a time.:ohwell:.....A shoulder length bob couldn't hurt now could it???

When was the last time you got color and how often do you normally get it? Do you wear your hair natural quite a bit? I guess I wouldn't mind it if I didn't wear my hair natural that much but I am really looking forward to wearing it out this spring and summer and this is a bit nerving.

Thanks for your input!

BB
BB, your hair is so pretty BTW.

Its so funny that you mentioned wanting to cut it out because I am soooo close to just cutting most of the color out. I am so over having two toned hair.

I usually get my color done every 3 months and my highlights done every 6 months. But I haven't had any color at all in a year. I wear my hair curly about half the week and roller set the other half.

BB, your hair is so pretty BTW.

Its so funny that you mentioned wanting to cut it out because I am soooo close to just cutting most of the color out. I am so over having two toned hair.

I usually get my color done every 3 months and my highlights done every 6 months. But I haven't had any color at all in a year. I wear my hair curly about half the week and roller set the other half.

Thank you!

I have never had my hair colored all over. My brother suggested it once and then he went on to describe the different colored highlights he was going to put in it after the color and I told him it sounded like way too much, to just give me the highlights. (my natural hair color is dark brown anyway)

Girl, I normally get highlights about once a year. For me, I think once I actually get them, the novelty wears off and I don't bother to go back to get them touched up. I guess if I am going to cut the color out, the spring/summer would be a great time to do so since I am hoping to get faster growth during that time........

And yes, while I love the look of two toned hair, maybe once my color grows completely out, I will just get one little caramel/blond streak in my hair to satisfy my coloring cravings:grin:......(but I will say that I really do love the feel of my hair that hasn't been highlighted)

BB

I definitely know what you mean. I've highlighted and as it's grown out, I certainly did notice a difference in my hair texture. Not major, but noticeable. Just a thought-- maybe protein would help snap the curls back?

I had hilights and I ended up growing them out. The hair wasnt damaged but it was drier and frizzier than the rest of my uncolored hair. It took almost two years to completely grow the color out.

I definitely know what you mean. I've highlighted and as it's grown out, I certainly did notice a difference in my hair texture. Not major, but noticeable. Just a thought-- maybe protein would help snap the curls back?

Didn't think about that. I am sitting under the dryer deep conditioning right now.....May have to figure out a way to get some protein in on this go round.....In fact, I am definitely going to try it. It can't hurt.

Do you have a fotki? Your hair is beautiful!

BB

I had hilights and I ended up growing them out. The hair wasnt damaged but it was drier and frizzier than the rest of my uncolored hair. It took almost two years to completely grow the color out.

Yeah, I think I am going to have to ride this one out and let it grow out. Not that it's damaged but it is much frizzier and drier than the rest of the hair.

2 years?:ohwell:

BB

Didn't think about that. I am sitting under the dryer deep conditioning right now.....May have to figure out a way to get some protein in on this go round.....In fact, I am definitely going to try it. It can't hurt.

Do you have a fotki? Your hair is beautiful!

BB

Thanks! Your hair is beautiful too! I opened up a fotki, but I haven't uploaded pictures--debating whether or not I should...

I've only done one protein treatment and it really helped my curls (I highlighted my hair about 2 months before that and dyed it black again before the aphogee 2-step) Anyway, here's the thread with some pictures. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=426358&highlight=

.....I don't like this at all.:nono: I normally would go and get re-colored in March but I think I may just let the color grow out:wallbash: but I really love it! I just don't like the inconsistency when I do a wash and go and it takes too much effort to try to make everything "blend".....

Has anyone else experienced this or am I hallucinating?

BB

Noooooo! If Jamila and Jenteel comes in here talking about growing out her colour too I'm going to :cry3: you lot were my inspiration for long coloured hair man.

BB I do get similar changes in texture but not enough to make me want to stop colouring, weirdly enough when I put a darker rinse (over the highlights) it looks more like my normal curl pattern:perplexed

But I'm still sticking to my colour :gorgeous:

Noooooo! If Jamila and Jenteel comes in here talking about growing out her colour too I'm going to :cry3: you lot were my inspiration for long coloured hair man.

BB I do get similar changes in texture but not enough to make me want to stop colouring, weirdly enough when I put a darker rinse (over the highlights) it looks more like my normal curl pattern:perplexed

But I'm still sticking to my colour :gorgeous:

Girl I do loves me some color but I tell ya, it's not making me and my natural hair too happy:nono:......But then again, if I use this Aphogee 2-step like Eritreeladie suggested and my hair snaps back in place, it may be on and poppin and I may have to seek out some more highlights! Or maybe I will just live vicariously through you and your color!

Someone else mentioned the darker the color they put in their hair, the better their hair "acted".

Thanks hon.....off to try this protein treatment in a little bit.

BB

Thanks! Your hair is beautiful too! I opened up a fotki, but I haven't uploaded pictures--debating whether or not I should...

I've only done one protein treatment and it really helped my curls (I highlighted my hair about 2 months before that and dyed it black again before the aphogee 2-step) Anyway, here's the thread with some pictures. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=426358&highlight=

Those pics are beautiful. Quick question for you....I am deep conditioning right now and if I do the Aphogee 2-minute treatment when I rinse this DC out, will I have to DC again? I have used the 2 minute treatment countless times but I have never done it and not followed up with a DC......What I am asking is will I be able to get away without DC again after this 2 minute treatment?

Thanks in advance!

BB

Those pics are beautiful. Quick question for you....I am deep conditioning right now and if I do the Aphogee 2-minute treatment when I rinse this DC out, will I have to DC again? I have used the 2 minute treatment countless times but I have never done it and not followed up with a DC......What I am asking is will I be able to get away without DC again after this 2 minute treatment?

Thanks in advance!

BB

From what I heard the 2 minute is very mild, but to be honest I've never used it (I did the aphogee 2-step) so I really can't say. (But my guess is that you can-- but you know what it probably would really depend on the moisture level of your hair)

Last edited:
From what I heard the 2 minute is very mild, but to be honest I've never used it (I did the aphogee 2-step) so I really can't say. (But my guess is that you can-- but you know what it probably would really depend on the moisture level of your hair)

I agree, I have used the 2 minute and it is very mild IMO. I love the 2-step and it gives me a texture boost when I use it 1x a month.

Your hair is really pretty as well

I have been natural now for about 5 years, certain parts of my hair are just really straight, other parts are coily and some of it is wavy.

I can relate to your post. I've colored my hair and definitely noticed a different feeling and loosening of the curl pattern.

Protein does help and I think when you color its important to stay on top of your treatments. But like you said when you get new growth and theres a contrast with the textures it does make you want to avoid coloring.

Oh yeah, the reason I went natural (or unrelaxed I should say) in college was because I was hair dye happy. It most definitely made my 4b hair texture looser.

To be fair, I was a hardcore hair addict. I died it different colors and then stripped it, which is not a gentle procedure. Then dyed it again a couple of more times. When I went through the process of locking it, the colored ends slowly broke off.

Yeah, I think I am going to have to ride this one out and let it grow out. Not that it's damaged but it is much frizzier and drier than the rest of the hair.

2 years?:ohwell:

BB
:ohwell: I know. For me it was like growing out a relaxer. I basically had a new head of hair by the time I trimmed the last of my color out.

in the past, i noticed this everytime i highlighted my hair. the texture of the highlighted hair was looser & wavier, like when you get a texturizer. i think the more you have to lift the color (blonde tones) the stronger the texture loosening effect to the hair -- it's as if in the process of lifting & depositing color, the hair's protein is broken down some. i don't notice this as much with darker colors.

:ohwell: I know. For me it was like growing out a relaxer. I basically had a new head of hair by the time I trimmed the last of my color out.[/QUO

Tell me about it:perplexed; I told you when I gather my hair up, it feels like I am transitioning all over again; I can "feel" the difference in the highlighted parts and the virgin parts.

BB

Oh yeah, the reason I went natural (or unrelaxed I should say) in college was because I was hair dye happy. It most definitely made my 4b hair texture looser.

To be fair, I was a hardcore hair addict. I died it different colors and then stripped it, which is not a gentle procedure. Then dyed it again a couple of more times. When I went through the process of locking it, the colored ends slowly broke off.

You bold soul!!! I still love my color but I guess I am just going to have to love it from afar and get back to a full virgin head of hair.

BB

I colored my hair in september and noticed it was WAAAY drier than before I colored. I'm going to keep coloring so long as my hair remains undamaged, and I'll just up the moisturizing efforts even more. I just got my roots done so now all my hair is in the same "shape" and I'm going to overload it with moisturizing as much as I can.

You bold soul!!! I still love my color but I guess I am just going to have to love it from afar and get back to a full virgin head of hair.

BB

Girl, I was out of control. :lachen: I think that's one of the cool things about fake hair. Now when I get the itching for red hair or blonde highlights, I just slap on a wig. But I have to admit, every so often when I'm in the drugstore and pass a box of Softsheen-Carson Hi Rez Hair Dye in "Scarlet Splash," I get a little itchy and have to repeat to myself "rinses are my friend, rinses are my friend."

I colored my hair in september and noticed it was WAAAY drier than before I colored. I'm going to keep coloring so long as my hair remains undamaged, and I'll just up the moisturizing efforts even more. I just got my roots done so now all my hair is in the same "shape" and I'm going to overload it with moisturizing as much as I can.

Did you color your entire head? I am forever moisturizing my hair and it didn't bother me that the highlighted parts are drier than the rest of it because I'm constantly moisturizing. I guess the pill I am having to swallow is that the texture of the highlighted part is a tad bit too loose for me and almost feels stringy. I probably wouldn't even notice it if ALL of it were like this but I knew the lifting of the color on the highlighted parts would give me some change; just wasn't really prepared for which change.

What color is that in your hair? It's pretty.

BB

Back