Ladies who avoid relaxers b/c of chemical exposure: What other products do you avoid?

Diva_Esq

I was looking at the ingredients in Nair hair removal lotion and it has sodium hydroxide and calcium hydroxide in it. I know using it reminds me of that relaxer smell and it makes the hairs you are getting rid of very straight and waxy like when you rinse out a relaxer. I guess I had never really thought about those chemicals being so similar and possibly toxic! :nono:

Along with no longer using relaxers, do you avoid any other products/ chemicals/ treatments for similar toxicity reasons?

ETA: ESPECIALLY INTERESTED in products for other body parts in addition to hair.

Last edited:

MsBoinglicious

Re: Ladies who avoid relaxers b/c of chemical exposure: What other products do you av

Yea I don't use Relaxers anymore and I have vowed to not use Hair Bleach/dyes on my hair or BKT stuff!

Aviah

Re: Ladies who avoid relaxers b/c of chemical exposure: What other products do you av

I'm avoiding black dyes with PPD, I don't do bleach, and I want to move more on to using natural hair products, and start eating right!

SaucyWow

Bleach/dye the hair. Using too much products that weigh down the hair. My hair is veryyyy "sensitive" to a certain amount of products.

Diva_Esq

What about on other parts of your bodies?

BlackMasterPiece

Every day I use my mothers mixture of natural oils and butters along with my lotion.

I eat mostly organic foods.

I moisturize and DC my hair with alot of natural and organic ingrdients

My shampoo and conditioner is natural/organic.

Its a way of life for me:yep:

As for hair removal, I prefer waxing because it lasts longer and the hair grows back very fine and non-irritating when it does return......even my hard wax is natural!:lol:

Aviah

I'd prefer more natural body products too. That thread on relaxers scarring the skull/brain really got me thinking. Though its speculative, it makes me wonder what else I am doing to myself...

LadyPaniolo

I avoid using manufactured lotions... I mostly use natural oils and butters on my skin and hair. I use baking soda, white vinegar, lemon juice etc to clean with. I try to eat as much from my own organic garden as possible.

I would never use Nair or body hair bleach. I used that stuff before and I noticed it would bleach my SKIN as well, leaving these weird pale spots on my skin that would get bad sun damage as soon as they were exposed to the sun at all. That's why I have 79 trillion freckles on my upper lip now. :cry3:

I don't even use manufactured sunscreen. I wear clothes that cover my skin and wear a huge hat, or carry a parasol/umbrella.

SignatureBeauty

What do ya'll use to minimize the hair in other areas, like bikin area, arms, legs etc.? I don't use nair, but I used a hair remover from sallys, but it seems when I use a Razor in the bikini area it bumps too bad.

I am trying to use more natural things and eat better but I am not 100%

30something

I was looking at the ingredients in Nair hair removal lotion and it has sodium hydroxide and calcium hydroxide in it. I know using it reminds me of that relaxer smell and it makes the hairs you are getting rid of very straight and waxy like when you rinse out a relaxer. I guess I had never really thought about those chemicals being so similar and possibly toxic! :nono:

Along with no longer using relaxers, do you avoid any other products/ chemicals/ treatments for similar toxicity reasons?

ETA: ESPECIALLY INTERESTED in products for other body parts in addition to hair.

My face lotion has sodium hydroxide in it, I don't know why. Nivea is the brand its some German company. My mom used this face lotion since the early 90 no adverse effects.. makes you really think about how products really work. Because nair can't even stay on my skin for more than 5 mins but Nivea face cream stays on all day.

BlackMasterPiece

What do ya'll use to minimize the hair in other areas, like bikin area, arms, legs etc.? I don't use nair, but I used a hair remover from sallys, but it seems when I use a Razor in the bikini area it bumps too bad.

I'm a soldier, I get brazilians and wax the other areas sometimes I even do them at home. I love this brand and recommended it to all my friends.

its hard wax so there are no strips necessary I really like it:yep:

I also found this to help numb the skin prior:

I haven't tried it yet but I will shortly and post the review on my site

Here's another I wanna try:

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

Yes BMP! You is a soilder lol!! I use the GIGI Hair Cream Remover, I tried that Brazilian a LOoooong time ago and I said never again, when that hair started growing back I was itching like crazy, I couldn't sit still at all, I was bending and squatting picking up things to get a scratch, going round corners to sneak in an itch, it was a mess. I guess I was suppose to keep it up huh!

Natirelle

I hate shaving it leaves me with ingrown hairs. Idk too much about nair.

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

I just shave. Ingrown hairs are not sexy, and that's what waxing does to me. Itching, bumps and redness :nono:

BlackMasterPiece

Wow thats sooo interesting shaving in some areas = nothing but ingrown hairs and bumps for me lol when I wax I feel like a babys bottom all over:love2: its so wild how everything is different from woman to woman.

I don't get how it can result in bumps if waxing is throughly done though, its yanked out from the root....so the hair has to gradually reform itself and start from scratch. When you shave....you're cutting the hair at a sharp angle....so its easy for that hair to then grow out and pierce the skin and form an ingrown hair.

When I get my wax the hair doesn't come back for a while and when it does its super fine and soft practically transparent hairs that have to work their way back up to thickening again.....which I try not to allow it to do.

What I love about waxing is I know if I stayed on top of it for like 2-3 yrs consistently I could bald my body which is really exciting:grin:

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member

I just shave. Ingrown hairs are not sexy, and that's what waxing does to me. Itching, bumps and redness :nono:

That's exactly what happens to me! :nono: I try to use as much natural products as possible - oils, butters and herbs. I don't use dyes or bleach. I also avoid SLS in my hair products unless I need to clarify. I'm also cutting back on the processed foods and sugary drinks. All in all, I think I'm on the right path to a healthy lifestyle!

classychic1908

Basically, if I don't know what the ingredients are or where they come from, I avoid it. I try to eat and use mostly organics and things that are found in nature instead of created.

I just shave to get rid of unwanted hair. In the bikini area, I use witch hazel after shaving and castor oil. Castor oil will get rid of shaving bumps really well.

I make my own uber moisturizing body butter. I make my own hair moisturizer and some of my dc treatments.

When I buy products or grocery items (even from wholefoods) I look up any ingredients that I don't know.

I haven't purchased any natural makeup or nail colors yet, I avoid conventional nail polish but I still wear makeup. If anyone has tried any that they love with a reasonable price, please share!

laurend085

I'm a soldier, I get brazilians and wax the other areas sometimes I even do them at home. I love this brand and recommended it to all my friends.

I tried waxing at home once but never again. I picked up some random wax at walmart don't remember which one. I followed the directions, heating etc. When it came time to place the strips I yanked, but I guess not hard enough? or maybe it was just the brand and part of the strip came up and the other was still sticking. So I gradually pulled the rest of the strip off cuz it was like it was stuck. I tried a couple other strips but with no success, it was too painful. I was left with wax all down there and had to sit in the tub for a WHILE trying to get it off...it was not easy to remove. I might get it professionally done one day, but that's alot of money and it's cheaper to do at home. Shaving leaves me irritated and I know waxing lasts longer...

Diva_Esq

I wondered this too. Shaving grows back to fast and the danger of ingrowns is what I'd like to avoid.

Yes BMP! You is a soilder lol!! I use the GIGI Hair Cream Remover, I tried that Brazilian a LOoooong time ago and I said never again, when that hair started growing back I was itching like crazy, I couldn't sit still at all, I was bending and squatting picking up things to get a scratch, going round corners to sneak in an itch, it was a mess. I guess I was suppose to keep it up huh!

I'm scared of home. I have had my upper lip waxed before (my hair is jet black and I am very light-skinned so even fine hairs show and give me a stache...not cute! :nono:) That ish hurt some bad I almost blacked out, forgot my name wasn't SHONUFF from The Last Dragon and took that little Asian lady OUT!!!! Oooooooooo-wee, the pain! I am scared to do it again! My lip throbbed for days! :nono::nono::nono: I always get my brows waxed, but different areas are more sensitive! And I'm especially scared to shave THE LOVE BELOW! Her real sensitive! :blush:

Wow thats sooo interesting shaving in some areas = nothing but ingrown hairs and bumps for me lol when I wax I feel like a babys bottom all over:love2: its so wild how everything is different from woman to woman.

I don't get how it can result in bumps if waxing is throughly done though, its yanked out from the root....so the hair has to gradually reform itself and start from scratch. When you shave....you're cutting the hair at a sharp angle....so its easy for that hair to then grow out and pierce the skin and form an ingrown hair.

When I get my wax the hair doesn't come back for a while and when it does its super fine and soft practically transparent hairs that have to work their way back up to thickening again.....which I try not to allow it to do.

What I love about waxing is I know if I stayed on top of it for like 2-3 yrs consistently I could bald my body which is really exciting:grin:

:lachen:You are way too excited about hair removal, BMP! You're so cute! :) Thanks for all the info!

twists

wow, I didn't know nair had sodium hydroxide in it. I used it before but stopped because I had a bad reaction to it and couldn't use it anymore...

but speaking about all this natural stuff, does anyone know any good natural sunscreens? because im pretty sure im allergic to the ones with the chemicals so I stopped that too and I know that's not good :lachen:

Prudent1

I'm scared of home. I have had my upper lip waxed before (my hair is jet black and I am very light-skinned so even fine hairs show and give me a stache...not cute! ) That ish hurt some bad I almost blacked out, forgot my name wasn't SHONUFF from The Last Dragon and took that little Asian lady OUT!!!! Oooooooooo-wee, the pain! I am scared to do it again! My lip throbbed for days! I always get my brows waxed, but different areas are more sensitive! And I'm especially scared to shave THE LOVE BELOW! Her real sensitive!

LOL!! You sound like my daughters:lachen:. They will have nothing to do with waxing anymore after an experience like the one you described. For me personally, some areas get waxed and some get shaved.:sekret: Fortunately I am not prone to ingrown hairs. That would def make things different for me. As a general rule of thumb the things I use on my body and the things I put in my body are as simple, natural, or organic as possible. I am also that way with cleaning chemicals and other household products as much as possible.

sqzbly1908

I wondered this too. Shaving grows back to fast and the danger of ingrowns is what I'd like to avoid.

I'm scared of home. I have had my upper lip waxed before (my hair is jet black and I am very light-skinned so even fine hairs show and give me a stache...not cute! :nono:) That ish hurt some bad I almost blacked out, forgot my name wasn't SHONUFF from The Last Dragon and took that little Asian lady OUT!!!! Oooooooooo-wee, the pain! I am scared to do it again! My lip throbbed for days! :nono::nono::nono: I always get my brows waxed, but different areas are more sensitive! And I'm especially scared to shave THE LOVE BELOW! Her real sensitive! :blush:

:lachen:You are way too excited about hair removal, BMP! You're so cute! :) Thanks for all the info!

@bolded :lachen::lachen: - Gurrrrrl...that was the first and last time for me...I now just use Neet - I felt that doggone pain in my eyeballs...glad u brought this up...I need to tighten my stuff TONIGHT!!! :lachen:

ryanshope

I don't use NAIR, bleaching creams, regular deodorant etc...

maysay

I've never had a relaxer but I am serious about limiting my chemical exposure, especially to things that mimic hormones in the body.

Hair-Aubrey Organics, they're as natural as I can get without making my own things and getting great results. For a while (like several months) I only used things that were edible on my hair: baking soda to clean, coconut milk/cream to condition, and aloe vera and coconut oil to moisturize.

Body-Diluted castile soap for washing and shaving or a natural soap bar of some sort. I haven't found a good natural lotion yet that works well. Shea butter and natural oils don't work for me so at the moment I'm using trader joe's lotion.

Teeth-A natural toothpaste with only a few ingredients from Whole Foods.

Deodorant-I actually don't use it that often. When I do it's usually that crystal rock kind.

Sunblock-I just stay covered up, and wear big hats. Once I find a cute parasol that's what I'll be using in addition. I haven't found a sunblock whose ingredients I'm comfortable with.

Food- Avoid eating meat (because of the hormones/antibiotics), and processed "foods", don't eat things with weird ingredients. I eat organic for most foods, especially the most heavily sprayed fruits/veggies.

Jas123

The Star of a Story

i'm relaxed but i only get 4 relaxers a year but i wash & conditioner my hair all the time so i've switched to natural products for the cleansing of hair/body conditioner for the hair and i use my own handmade body butters, i don't use conventional deoderant... the only conventional/chemical product i use on my body is during my relaxer and again that's only 4x a year

naturalgyrl5199

I am new to the natural hair products thing...I have only been a Nutritionist a year or so, so I am learning a lot about natural/organic products.
I eat a lot of organic foods, and I have recently begun limiting crystal light intake because of the dyes and artificial sweeteners...These are not bad in itself, but not having them at all because it is not natural is much better. I now drink more water, and natural beverages...I avoid sodas like the plague....
I am weaning off SLS...I am using my last bit of CON, and just bought some Giovanni 50:50 Balancing Hydrating Shampoo that's supposed to clean good. my goal is to be using only natural products like the baking soda or soaps mentioned above to clean my hair, butters, and oils (which I already use) to moisturize my skin/hair and condition my hair...its a PROCESS, but I always make it my duty to take baby steps into the right direction until it becomes routine.....

Solitude

never mind, the question was for ladies who avoid relaxers.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

What about on other parts of your bodies?

I try to limit the use of lots of chems in many ways. We wash with castile, I clean with vinegar..... I brush with baking soda, I use coconut oil for a body moisturizer.

Diva_Esq

I've never had a relaxer but I am serious about limiting my chemical exposure, especially to things that mimic hormones in the body.

Hair-Aubrey Organics, they're as natural as I can get without making my own things and getting great results. For a while (like several months) I only used things that were edible on my hair: baking soda to clean, coconut milk/cream to condition, and aloe vera and coconut oil to moisturize.

Body-Diluted castile soap for washing and shaving or a natural soap bar of some sort. I haven't found a good natural lotion yet that works well. Shea butter and natural oils don't work for me so at the moment I'm using trader joe's lotion.

Teeth-A natural toothpaste with only a few ingredients from Whole Foods.

Deodorant-I actually don't use it that often. When I do it's usually that crystal rock kind.

Sunblock-I just stay covered up, and wear big hats. Once I find a cute parasol that's what I'll be using in addition. I haven't found a sunblock whose ingredients I'm comfortable with.

Food- Avoid eating meat (because of the hormones/antibiotics), and processed "foods", don't eat things with weird ingredients. I eat organic for most foods, especially the most heavily sprayed fruits/veggies.

How does the organic toothpaste taste? I don't think I could go without deoderant.