Ladies who got the Brazilian Keratin Treatment: Updates on BKT and questions

Ediese

But will it still be stretched out and easier to detangle? That's a greater priority for me than straight hair.

No one is answering my questions above ... :crying3:

That's exactly what I'm wondering. I don't care if it doesn't straighten this bush on my head. My greatest concern is making it easier to manage..this thickness hurts to comb.

ChoKitty

ebonylocs
* has the treatment made your hair weaker / stronger? My hair feels stronger. :D

* has it reduced breakage and split ends and increased retention, or had no effect at all? I have only done it once, so I don't know about the retention in the long run, but less hair is coming out in my comb and brush when I do it each morning

* is combing your hair easier? My hair is a lot easier to comb. The very top, newgrowth didn't get to flat, but its soft and easier to manage.

* does the treatment make your hair stiff ? (that would be my worry, given that it is a *keratin* treatment) No, not at all. My hair was flying in the wind. Lol It still moves nice after my first wash, and is still really shiny and lays straight. My clippie caused the dents.

tuffCOOKiE
I bought the 4% from http://www.globalkeratin.com/

finewine83
Thank you. :D

ebonylocs

Thank you Yami'sgirl and crazydaze:

More questions: :look:

Does getting you hair wet often make it wear off quicker?

For those that have done the treatment multiple times, what does your hair look like when it's almost worn off, *just* before you get it done again?

Thanks a lot

ebonylocs

On that website Yami'sgirl posted, they have a "Keep the Curl" version with no formaldehyde or ether. But they don't say what effects it has other than "smoothing and replenishing" - so is it just a protein conditioner?

ebonylocs

I found these videos on youtube:

This girl seems to have around 3C? relaxed hair with some new growth. She got it done from root to tip. The stylist kept saying that her virgin hair is a bit more resistant to the keratin. It seems like the more porous the hair, the better it takes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbnJphUDww&NR=1

This seems to another keratin product, but similar idea. And what's interesting is that it seems like just by combing through like a relaxer (before / without even flat ironing) you can get some curl relaxation. But maybe it doesn't last without the flat iron "bonding" step? The model looks like a natural 3 A/ B or so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4by_fW5pKOs&feature=related

Last edited:

tuffCOOKiE

This girl seems to have around 3C? relaxed hair with some new growth. She got it done from root to tip. The stylist kept saying that her virgin hair is a bit more resistant to the keratin. It seems like the more porous the hair, the better it takes.

This seems to another keratin product, but similar idea. And what's interesting is that it seems like just by combing through like a relaxer (before / without even flat ironing) you can get some curl relaxation. But maybe it doesn't last without the flat iron "bonding" step? The model looks like a natural 3 A/ B or so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4by_fW5pKOs&feature=related

Ebonylocs, I haven't come across the second type of processing before. It seems easier/gentler on the hair.. or is that just me? with the other processes, im afraind of the clarifying champoo that will ruin my cuticles..

tuffCOOKiE

But will it still be stretched out and easier to detangle? That's a greater priority for me than straight hair.

No one is answering my questions above ... :crying3:

soorryyyyy, I don't check the forum often, I'm usually in and out. I was researching reviews on yelp.com and this one white woman with very curly hair got it done and she was really disappointed that it didnt work for her because when she washed her hair, it reverted back to curly. it was more manageable for her and softer, but i dont know if that offers any insight to you as to what it will do to your hair. Also, you're thinking of putting it on virgin hair right? I'm sure it will make it stronger and softer, so it'll help since you dont want the straightening.

I haven't gotten it done yet, so all this is based on my research

tuffCOOKiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5k_nWBLd84&NR=1

This Prevana is sounding REAALLLYY good. It says it DOESNT use formaldehyde, so I'm guessing it uses Ether :sad: I rather formaldehyde than ether...

I like the fact that I don't have to use the flat iron at 400 degrees..

eta: it doesn't mention anywhere in the Prevana how long it lasts. You do, however, have to wait 7 days before washing instead of the regular 3 w the others

Last edited:

ebonylocs

Ebonylocs, I haven't come across the second type of processing before. It seems easier/gentler on the hair.. or is that just me? with the other processes, im afraind of the clarifying champoo that will ruin my cuticles..

Yes, the Pravana process does look slightly gentler. E.g. they apply the keratin product to the wet hair, let it soak in, and then wash and hood dry afterwards, rather than blowdrying the naked hair, then adding the Keratin product, the way the BKT stylists do.

As I was watching that second video I posted, I was thinking that i would just do the first half of her process, and leave out the flat ironing. I was also thinking that rollersetting the hair would be a good way to maintain tension to get more curl relaxation. Then I came across this video, which is also in the Pravana series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHZW-9bhJc&feature=related

They did almost precisely what I was thinking: they just used the first half of the process on this white lady's hair. Applied the keratin product, smoothed and rollerset areas that wanted volume, let the keratin product soak in, rinsed, applied the bonding product, smoothed and soaked, then rinsed again. They probably blow dried her hair to finish up. Even though our hair types are vastly different, I figure that if they could get her frizzy hair so sleek, i must be able to at least greatly smooth my 4B hair doing something similar. Who knows?

ravenmerlita

Yes, the Pravana process does look slightly gentler. E.g. they apply the keratin product to the wet hair, let it soak in, and then wash and hood dry afterwards, rather than blowdrying the naked hair, then adding the Keratin product, the way the BKT stylists do.

Ladies -- just offering my two cents -- I've been considering the Pravana system if I relax my hair again. From what I've read, it has a chemical in it that breaks the internal bonds of the hair to straighten it out. This seems different than the BKT which I've heard just coats the hair.

The chemical used is cysteamine and is the same as what is in the Caribbean Dream Relaxer and other relaxers/waving systems. It is supposed to be a less damaging and lower PH relaxer chemical than lye or thio.

crazydaze911

Thank you Yami'sgirl and crazydaze:

More questions: :look:

Does getting you hair wet often make it wear off quicker?

For those that have done the treatment multiple times, what does your hair look like when it's almost worn off, *just* before you get it done again?

Thanks a lot

I've only had it twice, so cant tell u if getting it wet makes it wear off quicker but i dont think so. I'm 3/4 natural so it only lasted about 2 months and i washed once a week with the recommended shampoo (anything for color treated hair or equally gentle) and conditioner (anything w/out sodium chloride). and then conditioner washed one day during the week (my usual routine). I dont apply heat to my hair often so i couldnt tell you exactly what it looked like when it wore off, but i could tell by how my hair felt in the shower that it was wearing off - e.i - alittle less smooth/coated and not as easy to detangle.

crazydaze911

I just noticed that we stopped relaxing around the same time. If you're able to get all that new growth that straight and get more manageable hair, I have to try this out.

have to add a disclaimer - lol. i got my first BKT done by a dominican and my second Keratin treatment by a man who was half dominican/half puerto rican. im not sure if 'doing it urself' or going to another ethnicity will have the same results......

crazydaze911

you definitely need the flatiron for sealing. i've had both the BKT and the less potent formaldehyde free keratin. and you have to do it from root to tip each time. there is no overlapping b/c its a coating, not a permanent process, so it just wears off and needs to be redone (comparison - its like a temporary rinse that stains ur hair rather than a permanent dye that opens ur cuticle and deposits color).

ebonylocs

Ladies -- just offering my two cents -- I've been considering the Pravana system if I relax my hair again. From what I've read, it has a chemical in it that breaks the internal bonds of the hair to straighten it out. This seems different than the BKT which I've heard just coats the hair.

The chemical used is cysteamine and is the same as what is in the Caribbean Dream Relaxer and other relaxers/waving systems. It is supposed to be a less damaging and lower PH relaxer chemical than lye or thio.
Is the effect permanent, or does it wear off?

ebonylocs

you definitely need the flatiron for sealing.
I don't know. In the videos I posted, the Pravana system seemed not to necessarily need it. I.e. they had a process that involved flat-ironing for "complete curl removal" but they also had a "room temperature process" for smoothing and defrizzing. You can see with the curly haired part AA girl that the texture of her hair actually seems to have changed (her strands are smoother and more elastic) when they smoothed the stuff on the hair like a relaxer and left it to process for a while. Maybe that's because, like ravenmerlita said, it actually contains a chemical that relaxes the hair.

I had understood about the Keratin wearing off and having to do it from root to tip each time. I was just pointing out that new growth and relaxed hair takes the process at different rates.

imstush

Interesting...never heard of it

ebonylocs

Permanent. There is a short description at naturallycurly.com "Pravana introduces Keratin Fusion Texture Control, a salon service that permanently straightens curly hair without thioglycolates, sodium hydroxide or formaldehyde."

From the Pravana site: http://pravana.com/v2/vis-keratin.swf
Too bad it's only a salon service. No chance of getting that done in the UK. It's probably hella expensive too.

Don't think I'll find BKT over here either.

tuffCOOKiE

Permanent. There is a short description at naturallycurly.com "Pravana introduces Keratin Fusion Texture Control, a salon service that permanently straightens curly hair without thioglycolates, sodium hydroxide or formaldehyde."

From the Pravana site: http://pravana.com/v2/vis-keratin.swf

Thanks for dashing my hopes/dreams...

and saving my hair! i dunno how I overlooked this!!! Thank you.

Ebs, sorry for leading you on

ravenmerlita

Thanks for dashing my hopes/dreams...

and saving my hair! i dunno how I overlooked this!!! Thank you.

Ebs, sorry for leading you on

I'm sowwy :blush:... I'm still thinking about getting the Pravana if the BKT doesn't work out or if I can't get my nerve up to do the BKT. My main worry about the Pravana is that I have a lye perm on the last 3-4 inches of my hair and while they *claim* the Pravana can be used over hair that is lye relaxed, I'm just not sure if I should take a chance :ohwell:.

sweetwhispers

My sister got the BKT done, here in London in an arab salon on the edgware road. Apparently it looked nice, the first day she had it, it now looks like blowdried hair. The middle of her hair has broken off now though. Bare in mind she doesn't DC or anything, just wears a bun. I've made her start moisturising and sealing and DCing. Her hair is around APL or a little shorter. It was expensive though.

FeelinIt

From what I know, experts disagree on what is a safe level of formaldehyde. I agree with this site that says "pick your poison and research it." I did a lot of research which made me comfortable with my decision. Each individual has to do his or her own.

I am unsure about the FDA safe levels because I think they do it by ppm which is different from % in aqueous solution. This site makes reference to the FDA regulations being 37% at least at some point in time for food additives, but it is quite possible that it is different for cosmetics.

ETA: To keep the fumes away, I have a fan that blows directly in my face. I wear a mask and gloves and I keep my windows open. The windows are quite large and let a lot of air in. It does irritate my eyes though if I turn away from the fan for too long so I am sure there some bad stuff happening there lol.

So goggles then right? check!

FeelinIt

Thanks for posting this. I'm seriously going to look into this. Even if my hair doesn't get straight, if this helps make it softer and more manageable, that will be great. The Culture Salon in Houston does it, but I have to find out if it's the one with no formaldehyde.

Please find out and report back. I'm in Houston too.

alibi

hair bored
For those of you that have had the procedure done, did your hair go back to it's same texture after it wore off? I'm considering getting it done to have the versatility of straight hair, but I would still want my curls back by summer. Please advise.....

junipertree

I got the BKT treatment in June and I was back and forth about how I felt about it. Initially I was in love. I spent nearly 2 weeks in humid Italy in the summer and my hair did not frizz - and my hair gets puffy at just the sight of water. So I was happy. Then I really did not do much with my hair for the summer so I could not tell what, if any, difference there was. However, I now see the benefits. I only recently got a touchup so I was able to stretch for 6 months. After my touchup my hair is softer and straighter than its ever been after a touchup. I believe this is because I have been able to do my own hair, roller-setting and blow drying the roots. I have never been able to manage that. Now my hair dries faster and it stays straighter. Doing my own hair I can avoid the hairdresser blasting my hair with heat. I just touched up two weeks ago and now I really believe in the BKT. I will be getting a second treatment in January. Here are pics...(my hair is a little bent because I had it up in a comb all day but I haven't done anything since my touch up to it)

Attachments

• Hair 120908c.jpg
    Hair 120908c.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 139
  • Hair 120908d.jpg
    Hair 120908d.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 139