Ladies who HENNA... please help!!!

luvmesumhair

I just got through giving myself a Cassia Treatment and now I am shedding like crazy again!!! :wallbash::wallbash: JUST THAT QUICK!!!!!

I do not know what happened!

First I:
~Washed my hair with Baking Soda
~Then I applied the Cassia onto my hair. (I mixed the Cassia with Water and Honey)
~Left it on for about 3 hrs
~Wash it out in the shower with conditioner. My hair felt strange too. Not like the normal strength I usually get after using this.
~Then I notice all of my hair just falling out into the tub. A LOT.
~Next I decided to wash with CON then deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Still shedding after I washed that out.

I am sitting here right with a towel on my head wondering what to do next.

What should I do? Do you think I should/can do a HENNA treatment (this time) on the same day (in a few hrs) or what?

Oh I forgot to mention that last Friday I had gotten a touch up. I had a little shedding but nothing to be alarmed about. I was going to do a Cassia treatment anyway to stop that little bit of shedding.

PLEASE HELP. I AM SITTING HERE WAITING TO HEAR FROM ANYBODY!

msa

First of all, shedding is normal and natural. If you hadn't detangled for a while before you did the cassia then all the shed hair you saw would have been built up from the last time you detangled. Since you relaxed what style has your hair been in?

Second, if clumps of hair started falling out immediately after you did the cassia then it seems like that would not be normal shedding and instead maybe an allergic reaction on your scalp that caused your hair to fall out. Or it could have something to do with the relaxer.

Third, you can't stop shedding indefinitely with cassia, or really with anything else. It is going to happen at some point because it's part of the hair's life cycle.

Fourth, how much hair actually came out? I hate to ask this but did you count it? Are you left with any bald spots?

luvmesumhair

Hey msa,

I have been wearing my hair in a bun since my touch up. But before doing the Cassia today, I had combed out my hair prior to washing it. So it was not tangled.

I did not count how many but it was enough to be alarmed about. A ball full and it is still coming out. I have no bald spots, thank God!

tocktick

Did you change the brand of cassia or conditioner you used? Does your cassia have added ingredients?

Since this has occurred very suddenly, there doesn't seem to be much that I can suggest. If I were you, protein would not be my answer (that would include henna treatments for now, imo.) because of how rapidly this has happened and because you've just used one.

If I were in your position, I would start using an oil blend with added garlic to slow the shedding down and then protective style (or low-mani) for a while. Personally, I would henna after 6 weeks if the problem persisted.

eta: check this thread on the long hair forum. some members have experienced shedding and have a few suggestions.

Last edited:

msa

Hey msa,

I have been wearing my hair in a bun since my touch up. But before doing the Cassia today, I had combed out my hair prior to washing it. So it was not tangled.

I did not count how many but it was enough to be alarmed about. A ball full and it is still coming out. I have no bald spots, thank God!

So presumably during your detangling most of the shed hair would have come out.

Here's the thing. Almost every time someone posts a thread about "excessive", "extreme", or "alarming" shedding and then goes on to post a picture, it's literally nothing but regular shedding. So now, I'm a lot more skeptical when people post about it. So it may sound like I'm not being helpful at all, when I really don't mean to be.

But, if this is really more than normal shedding I think it's either the relaxer, the cassia, or both. Meaning, your scalp could be having a bad reaction to either of those things. To be on the safe side you should neutralize your scalp/hair again and rinse really well. Then continue as you normally would. If it's an allergic reaction I would think your scalp would also be itching or inflamed, in which case you should go to the dermatologist. If it's because of the relaxer, hopefully the neutralizing will take care of it.

luvmesumhair

Thanks TockTick and msa for your input. I am going to take the advice from both of you and give it a try. I am going to wash it again Wed. and report back.

Jenn22588

I agree with tocktick about the garlic. I use garlic conditioner when my hair is shedding more than normal.

Aggie

I certainly concur with MSA about neutralizing your scalp first then I would do the garlic treatment. I have a garlic recipe in my fotki for shedding and you are free to check it out if you like. I would definitely not use the cassia for a while. I might even do a patch test before doing a full fledged treatment with it again or better yet, chuck it. But that's just me.

I love my hair and if I used anything that would give me alarming results such as the ones you expressed here, I would definitely suffer my losses and throw away the products that I felt caused the alarm. Good luck.

Mz.Shug

In know this post was awhile ago but have you used Cassia since? Did you try the garlic remedy and if so did it work?