Ladies who rollerset...

aileenadq

...I need help with giving up flatironing after my rollerset twice a week. I'm starting to see some breakage, so I know it has to go.

The trouble is that I don't think that my hair will hold in the humidity without it.

So for you ladies that do the Dominican blowout (wash, dry under the bonnet dryer, blowdry the curls out), do you flat iron afterwards? Have you noticed a difference in whether your hair reverts in the humidity?

TIA!

aileenadq said:
...I need help with giving up flatironing after my rollerset twice a week. I'm starting to see some breakage, so I know it has to go.
aileenadq said:
The trouble is that I don't think that my hair will hold in the humidity without it.

So for you ladies that do the Dominican blowout (wash, dry under the bonnet dryer, blowdry the curls out), do you flat iron afterwards? Have you noticed a difference in whether your hair reverts in the humidity?

TIA!

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! This is what I'm planning on doing, airdrying in a rollerset then flat ironing. The safe way I use heat on my hair, is I always use heat protectant, I flat iron on the lowest setting- 1, and I only flat iron from the roots to no further than mid-shaft. I NEVER use direct heat on my ends. HTH :)

Last edited:
aileenadq said:

TIA!
When I get a Dominican blowout (shampoo, condition, set, blowout), I have NEVER flat ironed my hair afterwards because it was already straight and didn't need it. Besides, that would be too much heat imo. My new growth MAY get a little puffy, but my hair didn't revert (since I'm relaxed).

I would always flatiron after my rollerset, I didn't have too much of a problem with humidity. But there are several ladies who wrap their hair with a scarf, go back under the dryer for about 10-20 min or so and it seems they have great results from that

Allandra said:
When I get a Dominican blowout (shampoo, condition, set, blowout), I have NEVER flat ironed my hair afterwards because it was already straight and didn't need it. Besides, that would be too much heat imo. My new growth MAY get a little puffy, but my hair didn't revert (since I'm relaxed).

ITA. That would be entirely too much heat. After a Dominican blowout, your hair is so silky and straight that it initially appears like a fresh relaxer. Putting a flat iron in it would be excessive.

But actually, i usually dont let them blow it out. Thats too much heat on a weekly basis for me. After the roller set, i let them blow out the roots and thats plenty.

I would try cutting back the heat to only once a wk , not putting direct heat on my ends , keep the heat on the roots only and use a heat protector.

Hi :wave: I do dominican blowouts now. I took lessons from a dominican stylist. I'm really good at it now. :) PLEASE DONT FLAT IRON YOU HAIR. You shouldnt need to. After you takeout the rollers if you have roots, you should just blowout the roots. If you dont have roots you should just wrap your hair. Doesn't your hair come out straight after u roll it? I'll help u with ur technique if u have any questions.

Okay, I'm a little confused. I'm not really sure what a Dominican Blowout is, but it sounds similar to a Body Wrap, which is what I usually do to my hair. I'm sure everyone here knows what a body wrap (roll hair, let dry, then wrap hair). The only difference I see with the two styles is that with the Dominican Blowout, the roots are blown out with a blow dryer???? Please Advise. Thanks

reunitej21 said:
Okay, I'm a little confused. I'm not really sure what a Dominican Blowout is, but it sounds similar to a Body Wrap, which is what I usually do to my hair. I'm sure everyone here knows what a body wrap (roll hair, let dry, then wrap hair). The only difference I see with the two styles is that with the Dominican Blowout, the roots are blown out with a blow dryer???? Please Advise. Thanks
I could be wrong b/c I havent been to an AA salon in years, but I believe that the Dominican blowout gets your hair straighter and bouncier.

I do my own rollersets never needed to flatiron. When you comb/blow out your hair, the hair should be soft enough. The only area that may need heat is the roots.

Back