Ladies who switched from no lye to lye

maryj1584

What was your experience? I am trying to decide if I am going to switch or not. I use Hawaiian silky no lye but I am tired of it and want to switch to the lye version. Please help me with my little questionnaire so that I can decide what is best. Thanks:)
1. Did your hair improve?
2. was it less dry?
3. Did it shed less?
4. Was the texture of the relaxed hair much different?
5. Do you/stylist base your whole scalp before applying the relaxer?

peacelove

YES

2. was it less dry?
YES

3. Did it shed less?
NO

Yes, it was softer.

YES, but I have done lye with no base and it has been fine.

Last edited:

MizaniMami

Yes and Yes. My sides were so ate up before. They are just now growing back I used to use Optimum reg. and I switched to Mizani reg, now I am switching to Mizani mild.
2. was it less dry?
Yes it is less dry.
3. Did it shed less?
Yes I shed a whole lot less. But that can be a combination of other things-increased protein in regimen, no grease, and a lot more.
Yes it is a lot more silky. Before it was straight but greasy.
I ALWAYS base my whole scalp.

candita

i think so
2. was it less dry?
yes. after using a lye relaxer, it was like I had to do "damange control" for a week after to get it remoisturized.after a lye relaxer, it feels nice and soft :)
3. Did it shed less?
yes, the breakage is a lot less
it feels softer, the one set back being I'm at greater risk of underprocessing. If I use anything with protein too soon, my hair reverts.
no, I either self-relax or have someone I trust do it so it doesn't get on my scalp. If any does, it doesn't really hurt. It hurt more with the no-lye relaxers actually.

peacelove

maryj1584 said:
thanks peacelove. What Lye relaxer do you use?

I just started using Designer Touch regular and I really like it. It is a texturizing relaxer so it does not get the hair bone straight. I used Affirm regular for about 6 years or so and I liked it, but I realized that I could go with something milder. Affirm mild was still harsh IMO, so I settled with this.

Prior to the Affirm I used Gentle Treatment. I had a lot of breakage and dryness with no lye. I thought my hair could not handle relaxers, but I realized it was the no lye that was not working for my hair.

Oh, and I have fine, dense 4a hair with a little 3c (I think!)

myco

Yes. My hair used to have an ashy red color to it. Once I switched to lye that went away. Now it has more of natural, dark healthy color to it.

2. was it less dry?
That one would probably be a tie. I conditioned my hair just as much with no-lye as I do with lye, so I can't say much about a significant difference.

3. Did it shed less?
This too would be a tie. I shed regardless.

The hair that is lye relaxed has more texture. But that might also have to do with the fact that I can find lye relaxers in a mild form, but the no-lye were usually always regular.

I always base, regardless of the type. Any burning I've experienced was similar to what I've experienced with no-lye.

JazzyDez

I switched to a lye relaxer (mizani regular) after years of no lye and my hair has thanked me for it. It has never been softer. It doesnt get as dry as it used to before. And I ALWAYS base. And this Lye relaxer straightens way better than my no-lye did. I was using optimum super before....dont notice a difference in shedding... I don't see myself EVER go back to No-lye.

leontyneb

1. Did your hair imporve? yes
2. Was it less dry? yes
3. Did it shed less? yes
4. Was the texture of the relaxed hair much different? yes
5. Do you/sylist base your whole scalp before applying the relaxer? yes

I changed my daught's relaxer from no-lye to lye because her hair was always dry and damaged and it shedded a lot. Now, her hair is not dry, there is no damage at all and hardly no shedding. I am so glad that I switched from no-lye to lye. Lye is better.

MizaniMami

Mary what is your hair type?

I hear that hawaiin silky leaves the hair texturized. Meaning it doesn't take that well on anybody who is a 3c and above. But if that's what you want I would go with that or Mizani mild.

Southernbella.

Yes, my hair is softer and thicker.

2. was it less dry?
Yes, but that could also be because I started deep conditioning regularly.

3. Did it shed less?
About the same

It's not as straight, but I like it like that.

I should, but I don't. I do my edges and any place I've been scratching.

Starian

Yup. My hair became less dry and more silky textured.
2. was it less dry?
Yup.
3. Did it shed less?
Not really, about the same rate.
Yeah, silkier and less rough strands.
Yes. My hair came out great.

Switching to lye was a good move for me. My hair is a bit easier to manage now. I use the Affirm Fiberguard system in Normal.

plainj

Eventually. It broke off at first but I got it back on track. There were other factors that contributed to this like hard water & too much protein. My hair also broke off badly when I switched from lye to no-lye without the previous contributers.

2. was it less dry?
Yes

3. Did it shed less?
About the same but I'm a shedder anyway.

Not as rough, not as straw-like, and less dry.

Most times. I burn if I don't base.