Laying new growth......

hunnyhun921

Does anyone know of any good products to help my new growth lay around my edges while wearing a phony pony tail. I have about two inches of curly new growth that I can't get to lay down.

I've heard some people say that they put mango butter on it and then tie it down with a scarf. I've also heard other people say they cowash and bun while wet and tie down with a scarf. The scarf would be the common denominator. HTH.

Does anyone know of any good products to help my new growth lay around my edges while wearing a phony pony tail. I have about two inches of curly new growth that I can't get to lay down.

I'm wondering the same thing as well.... Right now I'm 5 wks. post relaxer & I have to slick my hair back in a bun for work , needless to say it's getting harder & harder to tame the beast!!!:lachen:What's been working for me is after I apply my MT to my scalp every night, I massage my NG with various oils, Lisa's hair elixir (Carol's Daughter), WGO. Then I SOAK the ends in a moisturizer, haven't found my favorite yet , but I'm using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil (in the jar), then seal the ends with more oil, then I use Mimosa Hair Honey, (Carol's Daughter again) to slick edges , just a very little cause it's very heavy. I should also add these are the only CD'S products I like, everything else, hair milk included, dried me out. Wheww... after all this I pull every thing back in a bun & tuck ends under to protect, then i tie it all down while it's still damp from the products, when I untie in the morning all I have to do is put on my fake bun. I am hairtype 4 a/b, so my NG gets pretty tight , but I'm trying to hold out for another 5 wks till I touch up, I hope I can last !!! HTH

I've heard some people say that they put mango butter on it and then tie it down with a scarf. I've also heard other people say they cowash and bun while wet and tie down with a scarf. The scarf would be the common denominator. HTH.

ITA, I haven't tried mango butter, cowashing does help soften ng , and yes tie it down!!!!!

TCB Lite hair & scalp Conditioner will lay it down... I have 4bzzz type hair, that get terrible after 4/5 weeks post...

It is a light Grease with a gel like consistancy... It smooths down the edges though and makes the new growth soft and combale......
It does contain mineral oil, 3rd ingredient on list.(but Mineral oil in opinion is not bad) and since you are CW-ing frequently, it should not be a problem..

Just my opinion...
I never had any great results with Mango Butter and it is deeply loved and used by a lot of women here, Just remember that every women's hair is different and reacts different to every product.... I Hope you find a good product that will work for you though...

I am natural and have the same problems when trying to get a neat bun. I've found that it is easier to slick down day old hair then freshly washed. The closer my hair is to needing to be washed the easier it is to get it into a bun. I have only recently begun to be able to do buns on dry hair...wet hair is pretty easy but I am afraid of stretching the strands. I don't know about mango butter but shea butter is really good at keeping my hair moisturized. It also works pretty well with water. I would try wetting your new growth (not the surfact wet but really wetting your newgrowth) adding some shea butter and slicking it down with a scarf.

I'm relaxed but my edges tend to get really curly when its time for a touch up. JAM has always worked wonders for me. If it's a really rough day I put a little water on my hair too and ride to work with my scarf on. Stays smooth all day.

Yeah try using some mango butter and then tie it down with a scarf
for about 15 minutes before you leave the house. Thats what I do and
it last all day.

Aloe Vera gel has been working wonders for me. I moisturize first then add the gel to my edges to lay them down.

I part my hair horizontal like 2 inches back from the hair line and take the back part and put that into as neat of a pony tail that I can. I then get a toothbrush and my handy dandy JAM or Ampro Gel, and slick the front 2 inches down into 4 veritcal section so that I can get it as smooth as possible. I have pic in my fotki under the 2nd album where I am 6 months post and my NG is flat as heck, wearing a 1/2 wig.

I do have jam in my possession, and I use it about once a wk. only on the edges , the reason I didn't add it to my first post is because I ALWAYS , notice shedding , the next day . Nothing major, but shedding nonetheless. I notice I don't have this problem when I stick to oil & moisture alone.

I part my hair horizontal like 2 inches back from the hair line and take the back part and put that into as neat of a pony tail that I can. I then get a toothbrush and my handy dandy JAM or Ampro Gel, and slick the front 2 inches down into 4 veritcal section so that I can get it as smooth as possible. I have pic in my fotki under the 2nd album where I am 6 months post and my NG is flat as heck, wearing a 1/2 wig.

Great idea with the toothbrush. My edges are so delicate, I never brush them and my comb is not getting the job done.
I change up my products all the time (still trying to figure out what works best), but the key is to tie it down while its still damp.

Aloe vera gel is fantastic at laying down edges. I use it daily, and there is never a build up. I use Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel, the consistency is that of gel and it's not watery.

Back