Leave-in Concitioner -vs- Rinse out Conditioner

Zeal

Hi Ladies:

Does anyone one know what makes leave-in , Leave-in? Opposed to Rinse conditioner.

What property does "leave-in" have which makes is ok to leave in?

What property does l"Rinse-conditioner" have that you can not to leave it in?

Does anyone know? is it safe to make a moisturizer spritz with rinse conditioner?

TIA

HoneyDew

Many people use regular rinse out conditioners as leave-ins and/or daily moisturizers.

Personally I prefer liquid leave-ins, but my daily moisturizer is really a "leave-in" according to the bottle label.

Mizani_Mrs

I would take a wild guess and say that rinse out conditioners contain a large amount of proteins that coat the hair (ie animal protein) and it is necessary to rinse it out or otherwise you will suffer from buildup and dryness. Leave-in conditioners contain the proteins that don't coat the hair (ie veggie protein), and/or possibly small traces of the proteins that do coat the hair. (am i making sense?) And plus usually leave-ins are so watered down that it wont coat too much. Which is why I can use a small dab of rinse out conditioner as a leave-in, or add water to it.

This question is the same reason why yesterday I was digging this board for info on proteins because i want to read the ingredients on my conditioners and determine for myself if i can use it as a leave-in and get the look/feel that i want.

HoneyDew

lea5 said:
Honeydew, which moisturizer do you use? Sounds like profectiv.

Actually I use Loreal Smooth Intense Leave in as my moisturizer.

I learned about this from my BF who has very thick, frizzy, wavy 2b hair.

My flat-ironed newgrowth does not revert as much with this!