Let the bad hair days begin

Glib Gurl

It's that time again. I'm four weeks post relaxer. The new growth is coming in and my hair is becoming thick and unmanageable. It will probably be like this until I get my *next* relaxer, which won't be for at least a month (although, like you ladies, I'd like to stretch it out for as long as possible).

*sigh*

Let the bad hair days begin :(

tryingto

Glib Gurl said:
It's that time again. I'm four weeks post relaxer. The new growth is coming in and my hair is becoming thick and unmanageable. It will probably be like this until I get my *next* relaxer, which won't be for at least a month (although, like you ladies, I'd like to stretch it out for as long as possible).

*sigh*

I wish I had that probleum, I am 11 weeks post, and I can easily go to 18 weeks, my hair grows at a snail's pace,:(

MzOptimistic

Glib Gurl said:

*sigh*

I'm four weeks post also and I have ng too. What I do is conditioner wash every other day and my ng stays soft and manageable. What leave ins are you using?

ThursdayGirl

tsmith said:
I'm four weeks post also and I have ng too. What I do is conditioner wash every other day and my ng stays soft and manageable. What leave ins are you using?

This is what I was going to recommend too. Well this and twist-outs/ponytails/Scarf method :). Your hairdays don't have to be bad :)

Aveena

I'm six weeks post and have been doing the scarf method. My sis gave me a curly fall that looks like a twist out which helps. I'm wearing that today with a bandu.

HoneyDew

4 weeks post! Girl, that is the best time. Fullness and volume. :)

Are you using growth aids to make your hair grow faster than the normal rate? If not, I think you may want to do a conditioner and leave in inventory to see if you may need to look into something else for those rough periods.

I could never get past 5 weeks in the past and now I am to the point where I can get to 8 weeks (and more if I did not get so restless to see my progress). The biggest help for me was rolling my hair at night. I know everyone can't do this, but the sections prevent my hair from tangling and I can just finger comb in the morning. Also my leave in and conditioners play a HUGE part in it. I shampoo and condition every 3-4 days and that helps too.

You can do it!!

lana

Yeah I think conditioners really helped, because I'm texlaxed and my new growth can go to at least 12 weeks (so far). But I cheat. I use Redken smooth down or Paul Mitchell Silky Straight conditioners to help straighten my new growth. Plus I'm very used to dealing with natural hair (after being natural for six years). So it's not that bad to me. I just wish you the best with your hair.

I'm happy that you have a lot of new growth at 4 weeks. That means you have healthy head of fast growing hair. Good job!

preciousjewel76

Fran said:
I'm six weeks post and have been doing the scarf method. My sis gave me a curly fall that looks like a twist out which helps. I'm wearing that today with a bandu.

Yup, tying down freshly washed/cowashed hair with a scarf helps me out tremendously. This is how I airdry almost all of the time.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
You don't have to experience bad hair days unless you let yourself do so. There are so many ways ladies manage their hair with 4 weeks or more of new growth! 4 weeks post relaxer touch-up really isn't a long time. Learn to work with what you got! ;) Check out sylver2, anky, and several other relaxed ladies who stretch their relaxer months at a time to avoid too many chemical touch-ups each year.

Glib Gurl

ThursdayGirl said:
This is what I was going to recommend too. Well this and twist-outs/ponytails/Scarf method :). Your hairdays don't have to be bad :)

Ooh, can you tell me more about this?

Glib Gurl

Fran said:

What is this? I am clueless!

hottestdiva19

IM 16 WEEKS POST!!!!! With the MTG and Biotin My hair always wants to have a fight with me on wash day. During the week im fine since I just keep it in plats under a wig and moisturize everyday. I think next wash day my hair is gunna seriously kick butt.:perplexed

HoneyDew

hottestdiva19 said:
IM 16 WEEKS POST!!!!! With the MTG and Biotin My hair always wants to have a fight with me on wash day. During the week im fine since I just keep it in plats under a wig and moisturize everyday. I think next wash day my hair is gunna seriously kick butt.:perplexed

I think that is the hardest part for me. I can keep it all tamed and then WASH DAY. :eek:

preciousjewel76

HoneyDew said:
I think that is the hardest part for me. I can keep it all tamed and then WASH DAY. :eek:

For real? I love wash days, the hardest part for me is figuring out how to wear my hair the day after wash day. I just usually wind up wearing it pulled back in an twist or something, which isn't all that exciting or flattering.:look: My hair seems to behave better when it's freshly washed, I just haven't figured out how to make it look cute after I wash it!:lol:

(I don't have the time or patience to rollerset it all the time:cool: )

neenee280

HoneyDew said:

Are you using growth aids to make your hair grow faster than the normal rate? If not, I think you may want to do a conditioner and leave in inventory to see if you may need to look into something else for those rough periods.

I could never get past 5 weeks in the past and now I am to the point where I can get to 8 weeks (and more if I did not get so restless to see my progress). The biggest help for me was rolling my hair at night. I know everyone can't do this, but the sections prevent my hair from tangling and I can just finger comb in the morning. Also my leave in and conditioners play a HUGE part in it. I shampoo and condition every 3-4 days and that helps too.

You can do it!!

That is soooooo true. My hair is at its BEST a month later. The "too straight" stage is gone and now my hair is back to being BIG, which I love. LOL!

Glib, hang in there. I am a firm believer in that lacio lacio. It made my NG sooooo nice! After doing my cowash, I would rollerset or braidset and add the lacio lacio and I was able to make it 12 weeks. I wanted to go longer but I wanted to perm 5/1 so I can perm again on 8/1 for this wedding i am in.

A make sure you tie your hair up at night! or pin curl it for less manipulation!!! That is also the key!

You can do it!

HoneyDew

preciousjewel76 said:
For real? I love wash days, the hardest part for me is figuring out how to wear my hair the day after wash day. I just usually wind up wearing it pulled back in an twist or something, which isn't all that exciting or flattering.:look: My hair seems to behave better when it's freshly washed, I just haven't figured out how to make it look cute after I wash it!:lol:

(I don't have the time or patience to rollerset it all the time:cool: )

I do enjoy wash days - or after it is all said and done. My hair tends to act better after washing, as well. My problem is that it takes me longer to "DO" my hair and it takes MUCH longer to airdry. Once it is all said and done, those wash days keeps my NG in check and tame. :)

tricie

Hey, Glib Gurl!

I am in the same durn boat; 4 weeks post and it looks more like 6 weeks!

I can only attribute it to the BOUNDLESS TRESSES since I started using it a few days after my relaxer. I got good growth with my vits, pre-poo-wash-deep-condition-leave ins regimen, but this is out of control. And to think I am trying to get to 8 weeks! Guess it does what NaturalLady says for real!

I think I will likely wear twistouts next week, and then get it cornrowed twice; that should hold it until I can get a relaxer, which will be around Memorial Day (I cannot go longer than 8 weeks, it would be a serious HAM by then)!

Best wishes to all of you other "stretchers with kicking ng"! :grin:

V

vivadiva85

Shoot, I'm 11 weeks post. It's a monster in there.

I do what others have recommended: regular cowashes, scarf method, buns. I'm hiding my hair until july. But I'm getting kinky twists next week :) cause if I don't, I won't be able to hide my hair for much longer.

Mom23

HoneyDew said:

You can do it!!

I was going to say the same thing. How about doing a few braidouts or rollersets with smaller rollers. That can hide some of the texture. I usually do that and add a headband and I'm off. :)

LocksOfLuV

I find that when I am fighting AGAINST my newgrowth trying to make it act like relaxed hair it rebels. Newgrowth ain't relaxed, so it should be treated like relaxed hair.

A lot of ladies try and maintain that super straight-fresh relaxer look, which can make them run into problems also. You hair doesn't have to be super straight/down and flowing. I am not one to manipulate my hair with heat, blowdriers, flat irons, special concotions, etc, so I won't give you that kind of advice.

Contrary to what other ladies have been saying, the best way to win the 'battle' with my newgrowth is to let it win. And for me that means, stop manipulation/combing/washing too often. I now wash once a week and do a very intensive DC on wash day. I detangle in the shower while rinsing out the DC, add my leave-ins and detangle again thoroughly with two different sized combs to make sure all the knots are out. I airdry it in a ponytail using my scarf method (check out my fotki for details http://public.fotki.com/telletell ) and I don't comb it until the next week. All I do is moisturize it daily and re-apply my bun/baggie and scarf.

It only makes sense to avoid a battle, if you don't want it. So washing/cowashing too often isn't going to do anything but get you more frustrated.

It doesn't have to be the big "battle" unless you make it be that way. If you are gonna try and stretch you are gonna have to learn to deal WITH the newgrowth not AGAINST it. It's not the debil, it's YOUR hair and it needs love too. :yep: