Let's post hair recipes

nijilah

Let\'s post hair recipes

Hello all! I wanted to start a thread which listed hair recipes for the scalp and to add moisture to the hair. I am very interested in recipes which use pure shea butter which I have finally purchased and it sure makes the skin soft. I can start with 2 recipes:

1. Mix 10-20 drops of rosemary oil into a bottle of jojoba. Got remedy for dandruff or a dry scalp

2. Pre-shampoo conditioning treatment: Apply olive oil to hair and put on a shower cap for an hour. Then, apply mayonnaise over olive oil and put on the shower cap for another hour. Then wash. Great pre-shampoo treatment and I don't even have to use conditioner after washing. Hair is moist and soft.

SVT

Re: Let\'s post hair recipes

I'm not good with any kind of recipes but I've heard good things about Sweetcocoa's Hair Butter . It uses shea butter so you might like this one. Scroll down to see the recipe.

sweetcocoa

My shea/oil butter recipe...

4 oz of shea butter(unrefined)- melted in microwave...or in a glass measuring cup set in a pot of water that was boiled first...the microwave is quicker.
to which I added the following -
1 tablespoon of amla oil
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 talbespoon of castor oil
1 tablespoon of almond oil
10 drops of rosemary oil
1 tablespoon of aloe vera oil
I put it in the refrigerator to harden. Then take it out and let it come to room temperature. It should be nice and creamy(or if you prefer leave it hardened...works both ways). This is very rich so a little goes a long way. I only apply it to my hair. Works best on damp hair.

pmichael52172

I can attest to Sweet's shea/oil recipe. I can't do without this stuff.

I couldn't afford all the different oils, but like Sweetcocoa hinted to me before, you can modify it to your liking. I just use shea butter, jojoba oil, olive oil, and lavender oil to drown out the olive oil scent.... the scent of olive oil turns my stomach /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It works soooooo well on wet hair and even dry hair, especially roots before touch up time and my skin is soooo dry that I use it as a body butter after showers or on my feet with socks before bed.

I think everyone should have her recipe in their product drawers.... or in Adrienne's case... product closet! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sweetcocoa

Thanks! I'm making a body butter also. The only reason I don't use my hair butter is because of the amla oil(even though you can bearly smell it mixed with the other oils) I can tell it's till there. I'm plan on trying 1/2 shea and 1/2 natural cocoa butter. Then add a small amount of the following oils, almond, aloe vera and coconut... mixed with a scent of vanilla-pear and spice.

pmichael52172

Mmmmmm, vanilla-pear! That sounds good. When you do make this, pass the results. I'll probably try to copy this one too. I can't wait.

CynamonKis

Re: Let\'s post hair recipes (SHEA BUTTER RECIPES)

Hi: I remember trying Sweetcocoa's shea butter recipe and it really was the best stuff I've ever used for moisturizing my hair, so I thought I'd resurrect the post. The unrefined shea butter can be purchased at
(http://www.natureswildchild.com/)

Also another lady (I wish I knew her name--great recipe!) posted a shea butter/mango butter recipe, which also looks interesting and I may try it:

2 cups of shea and mango butter. Now I was lucky here. I plunked a chunk of shea and a smaller one of mango butter in the double boiler and it happened to melt to 2 cups. Okay so..

2 cups shea butter and mango butter (try 1 1/2 cups shea, 1/2 cup mango)
1/4 cup avocado oil
1/4 cup jojoba oil
1/4 cup swet almond oil
1 tsp lavendar eo
1 tsp ylang ylang eo
1/2 tsp rosemary

Melt and blend oils and butters. Add essential oils. Pour into prepared containers and set in a cool place. I put on the porch. Nice and smooth.

sweetcocoa said:
My shea/oil butter recipe...

4 oz of shea butter(unrefined)- melted in microwave...or in a glass measuring cup set in a pot of water that was boiled first...the microwave is quicker.
to which I added the following -
1 tablespoon of amla oil
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 talbespoon of castor oil
1 tablespoon of almond oil
10 drops of rosemary oil
1 tablespoon of aloe vera oil
I put it in the refrigerator to harden. Then take it out and let it come to room temperature. It should be nice and creamy(or if you prefer leave it hardened...works both ways). This is very rich so a little goes a long way. I only apply it to my hair. Works best on damp hair.

Porsche19

Here's a pre-poo that I always loved to use:

4 oz of you favorite conditioner (you can use anything from cheapies to deep cond.)
1 egg
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp evoo

Me likey! :)

Also, keep this in the fridge!

foxybrownsugar

Porsche19 said:
Here's a pre-poo that I always loved to use:

4 oz of you favorite conditioner (you can use anything from cheapies to deep cond.)
1 egg
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp evoo

Me likey! :)

Also, keep this in the fridge!

I have been doing this since jr. high school (7th grade) myself. except i use only the yolk because it comes out creamier and less slimy due to the whites. I use a mix of oils but i prefer heavier oils like organic flax oil and hemp oils. i cover with plastic cap and sometimes use dryer.
edited: i forgot to add that i use honey and a thick creamy condish also.

Last edited:

ajargon02

Here's a couple. They can be used for both hair and body. Just remember, if you are using shea as a base, and it's not fluffly, or like whipped cream when you are done, add more oil(jojoba,almond,hot six, whatever oil you have on hand) and try again.

Whipped magic
Ingrediants needed:
1/4 cup shea butter(unrefined preferably)
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup jojoba oil or almond oil
your favorite eo's(essential oils)
1 heaping tbls honey or use 1/2 teaspoon glycerine as a substitute
2Tbls favorite hair conditioner

Take the shea,coconut oil put into glass measuring cup. Set to the side. Then get a pot fill 1/2 way w/ water, put the cup of shea and coconut in the middle of the pot,turning up the heat to let the water in the pan come to a boil, then turn the heat down to a 2 or 1 on the stove. Stir the mix till it all melts. Take the cup out of the pot carefully and set on the counter. Stir while adding the jojoba or almond oil. Put in the fridge or freezer(freezer is faster if you are pressed for time) Let it cool for approx 15 min. You are gonna want to see it look cloudy. Like how oil that's been used for frying cooled? That's what you want it to look like. Take it out of the fridge or freezer, set on the counter. Get out your favorite eo's. I usually do bitter almond, chamomile, and rose. What ever you want to use.

*TIP: for a great cooling foot cream, use peppermint, and a little bit of tea tree eo's. It's refershing, and it will tingle your feet really nice*
Get out a fork, and start to whip/beat your mix. Just like you do w/ scrambled eggs. Whip it till it looks like cool whip, and you are done. I usually transfer the mix to single serving yogurt cups. I will let each cup of mix be a different flavor, so to speak. You can omit the eo's as well if you like.

This stuff will melt upon the touch, and it looks like cool whip too! :) I use vanilla/bitter almond for my skin. My hair and scalp loves it too! It will work like a grease, but won't cause build up, and smells wonderful for days! I do store it in the fridge, when I don't use it. It's not nessary, but I do.

Pre-wash Deep conditioner

1/3 cup coconut oil
4 heaping Tbls of Honey, or 1 tsp glycerine as a substitute
1/2 cup of favorite conditioner( you can use a deep conditioner as well)

Mix well, Heat for 10 seconds in the microwave. You want it to be warm to the touch. Add to hair in sections,detangling as you go. Wrap w/ hair cap, or plastic wrap, or aluminum foil(whatever you choose) then apply warm towel, or heating cap for maxium benefits. You can even sleep w/ it over night if you want. Rinse throughly, then shampoo or no poo.
My hair is just so soft for days after!

HONEY
*Natural humectant, and it's great for the hair and skin! I put it in all my mixes. It can also be used :
1Tlbs of honey, or use 2 tsp glycerine as a substitute
12oz of water
1 Tbls favorite conditioner
several drops of favorite eo
1/2 tsp of jojoba or almond oil

mix and shake in a spray bottle. You are ready to go. It can be used as a "hair gel or spray" and there are recipies for it.
www.honey.com
to check it out!

*OH YEAH TIP*

If you have put in too much honey, when you refridgerate the body butter, it will seperate. Just reheat a bit and whip again. If the mix, doesn't look like cool whip, add more shea/coconut, or jojoba or almond oil, and friderate again, then whip again. If you have used too much honey in the leave-in, it will act like a hair spray, and it my leave your hair stiff. Add more water, and it will be fine. Honey can also bring out curl definition

Last edited:

Porsche19

I'm terribly allergic to honey on my skin, but that spray sounds fab for my hair! I'll try it when my current spray (conditioner and water only) runs out.

ajargon02

Porsche19 said:
I'm terribly allergic to honey on my skin, but that spray sounds fab for my hair! I'll try it when my current spray (conditioner and water only) runs out.

GIRL I FEEL YA!:perplexed Don't use it at all, or if you do, omit the honey in the recipe. Veg Glycerine is also a humectant. You can substitute that! I go into anaphaxis( throat closes, hives among other unpleasant things) just don't even go there. Use the substitutes instead, and it will still be just as fabulous!

Porsche19

No it'll be ok :) It's just that I get a rash if it's on my skin.

The way that I found out is kinda funny. Tried a honey and milk face mask. :nono: I looked like an alien until I healed up. Now I just use the milk :lol:

If I just spray on my hair, nothing will happen. In fact I add honey to all my deep conditioners and sleep with it overnight. I drink honey in my tea.

It's just my skin that doesn't like it... go figure!