Little or no curl pattern...

growingbrown

Do you ladies who are natural or transitioning have little or no curl pattern? I have little or no curl pattern in the front of my hair. I do show some around my head but not in the front. Why is this? Are any of you ladies experiencing this or have experienced this? What do this mean when I decided to finally be fully natural?

davisbr88

On either side of my middle part (from the hairline to the crown - I call it my "runway"), the very top layer (it's about .5" thick) has no curl and is more like limp waves. It looked completely straight when I was transitioning. I had to coax it with gel and the Denman to get the lazy wave pattern to show up there when I did a WNG because that small section is so much different than the rest of my hair. And sometimes then it still wouldn't cooperate, so I almost always wore a WNG with a headband. I don't do them anymore because of the knots I get in my crown but it did take some extra manipulation to get it to look decent. I think you just have to accept whatever you get and work with it to get it to your liking.

ETA: When I say WNG, I mean when I became fully natural. I definitely couldn't WNG when I was transitioning.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

My hair was wavy but it definitely had no curl pattern. My hair was relaxed bone straight so I couldn't even do braid outs while transitioning. Once I cut off the relaxed ends my hair curled up.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

growingbrown

On either side of my middle part (from the hairline to the crown - I call it my "runway"), the very top layer (it's about .5" thick) has no curl and is more like limp waves. It looked completely straight when I was transitioning. I had to coax it with gel and the Denman to get the lazy wave pattern to show up there when I did a WNG because that small section is so much different than the rest of my hair. And sometimes then it still wouldn't cooperate, so I almost always wore a WNG with a headband. I don't do them anymore because of the knots I get in my crown but it did take some extra manipulation to get it to look decent. I think you just have to accept whatever you get and work with it to get it to your liking.

Mine look kind of limp also. I know my hair is growing and its not the relaxer. I guess in time maybe the curl will come back. Either way, I will work with it.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
my hair was puffy/no curl all through my transition.it only waved/curled when i put alot gel on it.

growingbrown

My hair was wavy but it definitely had no curl pattern. My hair was relaxed bone straight so I couldn't even do braid outs while transitioning. Once I cut off the relaxed ends my hair curled up.

That might be it. Maybe the relaxed ends are weighing my hair down. Thats something to consider also....
Thanks.

davisbr88

Mine look kind of limp also. I know my hair is growing and its not the relaxer. I guess in time maybe the curl will come back. Either way, I will work with it.
My hair has changed ALOT since this pic - this was maybe a week or so after my BC, before I began doing proper moisture/protein balancing but this gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

Even though my other curls/coils are a lot different now, that section at the part is still about the same. With gel, they become deep waves but if I had left them completely alone when I did a WNG, it would just be these limp, frizzy-looking, near-straight wavies.
The relaxed hair definitely weighed it down because I thought that hair was straight, but when I BC'ed, I got the pattern you see here. Not much, but still.

growingbrown

My hair has changed ALOT since this pic - this was maybe a week or so after my BC, before I began doing proper moisture/protein balancing but this gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

Even though my other curls/coils are a lot different now, that section at the part is still about the same. With gel, they become deep waves but if I had left them completely alone when I did a WNG, it would just be these limp, frizzy-looking, near-straight wavies.
The relaxed hair definitely weighed it down because I thought that hair was straight, but when I BC'ed, I got the pattern you see here. Not much, but still.

Wow. :blush: Your hair looks great! I love your curl pattern! At how many weeks were you at when you big chopped?

growingbrown

Aww thanks! :blush3:
I chopped at 51 weeks, 3 days. Got too excited and couldn't make it another 4 days for it to be a year.... :lachen:

I will be 51 weeks Tuesday and it is hard not to bc after looking at all these lovely naturals on this forum! Im getting that itch and getting excited....:lol:

Zaz

The front left side of my hair doesn't really coil up like the rest, it's very frizzy and doesn't hold moisture very well. I've seen some people take the time to actually twirl each strand into a coil, or brush it into a curl with some gel but that seems like way too much for me so I just let it do whatever it wants. My WnG takes me about 5 minutes tops and as my hair gets longer, the coily parts are starting to fall over that non coily bit and cover it. So it's gotten to be a non issue anyway.

Frizzy left side with no curl pattern:

That's the best picture I have of it, the weight of the hair in the back kinda falls on top of it so I'm not sure if you can really see how it acts :ohwell:

Right side where it's more uniform:

Wash n Go where you can't really tell that side acts any different:

Don't mind the two tone hair, I tried to dye it on top of henna and only the new growth changed :sad:

Last edited:

FindingMe

I have coils in the back and just some kinda wave thing/no curl pattern going on the canopy of my head. It's like each strand is allergic to the one next to it. :look: I have just learned to live with it....:ohwell:

lilsparkle825

I've read about that phenomenon on here a few times. It took a few months for the front of my head to curl up after my BC. It was very weak, almost straight S-waves prior to that....now it's just as curly as it wants to be.

maxineshaw

I have multiple textures in my hair. Some sections have a curl pattern. Others....not so much. The weird part is that the ends of my hair are actually straight. I also have strands throughout my kinky hair that are straight. I wish I could find my portable hard drive and show you a picture.

LilMissSunshine5

I am still transitioning, so once I BC, the front might curl up! But as of now, it is fairly straight/bushy :ohwell: The rest of my hair is mostly 4a, so it looks kinda stupid :lachen: But ladies on this forum have cautioned that it may be bc some of us constantly stretch that part of our hair, so who knows :lol: I'll see in about a year or so, if I can hold out that long :look:

ETA: davisbr88 & Zaz, yall are not helping me resist the BC by posting those gorgeous pics of such pretty coils :drool::thud:

Last edited:

LilMissSunshine5

davisbr88, my roommate is so sick of me going back and forth about when I will BC. She can always tell when I have been on LHCF bc I see pictures and want to BC early :lachen::lachen: Then the next day, I tell her I am going to delay my original goal of 18 months until April 2012 so I can rock WnG's :lol: This board is a bad influence on me :) I know I don't look good with short hair, so I am trying to stay strong and not make a decision I am not ready for based on emotion...but transitioning is TOUGH :sad: And from the looks of it, I have fifty eleven different textures on my head LOL So I need to truly learn my hair and not be in such a hurry to be "fully natural". Although this thread wasn't designed to address that topic, it did re-affirm that for me :yep: Thanks OP!

ETA: One day when my curls grow up, they'll be pretty like yalls :lol:

Zaz

Zaz: Your hair is FAB! I love it.

@ Zaz your hair do look great! Those curls are cute!

I am still transitioning, so once I BC, the front might curl up! But as of now, it is fairly straight/bushy :ohwell: The rest of my hair is mostly 4a, so it looks kinda stupid :lachen: But ladies on this forum have cautioned that it may be bc some of us constantly stretch that part of our hair, so who knows :lol: I'll see in about a year or so, if I can hold out that long :look:

ETA: davisbr88 & Zaz, yall are not helping me resist the BC by posting those gorgeous pics of such pretty coils :drool::thud:

Thanks ladies :blush3:
LilMissSunshine5 I was supposed to transition for 18 months too, but as soon as it started getting warm, people on the board were BCing left and right and I started getting that BC itch, I didn't even make it to summer and chopped in May at the one year mark :lol: Good luck on your transition :yep:

Roux

i'm transitioning and the front of my hair is just puffy and sorta frizzy it's strange, I can feel waves in back I suppose. I don't have actual curls or coils just sorta waves. IDK my hair type but i'm sure i'm in the 4 range.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
My hair does the same thing. It's wavy in the front and doesn't curl like the rest without some sweet talk and a bottle of wine followed by a little fondling.:lol: No but seriously, it takes a little work to make it all blend. On this pic you may be able to tell if you look close that it kinda just waves up with very little curl on the end.

Hosted on Fotki

tnLOVELY

I am transitioning and my hair was like that at first but as it grows I can see my pattern better and I am a yr post now

mg1979

Okay so I'm not the only one. This has been a daily frustration for me! I cannot figure out why this hair is SO DRASTICALLY different from the rest! And all my relaxed ends are gone so I don't know what it is!

KurlyNinja

The front of my hair is also like that! I thought it was 4b at first, but the coils are not that tight. Its just that the coils will not clump together at all! Its like a big frizzy mess on the front of my head. If I actually take the time out to coil it around my finger with some gel it will become defined, but thats just way to much work. I thought I was alone with this.

glamazon386

Mine was kind of sparse and undefined when I bced. I think I had scab hair. A few months later and after a few trims and me taking better care of it, it started to look different. My curl pattern definitely looked different as it got longer.

I also have a weird looser, less curly section in the front of my head. Has anybody figured out what that's all about?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Yes! And it's annoying...and the reason why I don't do wash n gos since my hair has grown out! I'm fully natural and the front part of my hair is like a kinky straightish texture and has no curl pattern while the rest of my hair is very tightly coiled and kinky.