Loc Extensions

naija24

Hey ladies.

I could waste hours on google or I can talk to hair gurus so here I am. I want long hair, preferably natural. I don't mind locs as long as they're neat. I was browsing some website and found something called loc extensions. It can be done with real human hair and will loc naturally like they were real to start with.

This intrigues me and I'm surprised so few naturals consider it. So!! Has anyone here tried it? What do you like/dislike about them. Would you recommend them?

faithVA

I have seen them and they are very pretty. I am not sure if the person I saw was human human hair or synthetic. She kept them in for quite a while but did not loc her hair.

I think quite a few women on her do the yarn braids instead because they are easy to do and they can do them themselves since they aren't trying to loc their hair.

I don't have any recommendations.

NIN4eva

Hey ladies.

I could waste hours on google or I can talk to hair gurus so here I am. I want long hair, preferably natural. I don't mind locs as long as they're neat. I was browsing some website and found something called loc extensions. It can be done with real human hair and will loc naturally like they were real to start with.

This intrigues me and I'm surprised so few naturals consider it. So!! Has anyone here tried it? What do you like/dislike about them. Would you recommend them?

I've done the bolded. And I'm still dying for loc extensions but have come to the following...

1. I can do the method that involves putting in individuals and then wrapping them in Marley hair. Sturdy, pretty but VERY, VERY heavy. I have absolutely NO time for that level of discomfort.

2. I can go to a professional and spend oodles of money, but that would be foolish of me right now. I can't afford it.

In conclusion, I cannot have the loc extensions that I want.

virtuenow

I've done the bolded. And I'm still dying for loc extensions but have come to the following...

1. I can do the method that involves putting in individuals and then wrapping them in Marley hair. Sturdy, pretty but VERY, VERY heavy. I have absolutely NO time for that level of discomfort.

2. I can go to a professional and spend oodles of money, but that would be foolish of me right now. I can't afford it.

In conclusion, I cannot have the loc extensions that I want.

Have you considered yarn braids? They look lock-ish. Also, they're extremely light, I mean like feather light...nothing like Marley braids or faux locs.

faithVA

[USER=10150 said:
virtuenow[/USER];19531539]Have you considered yarn braids? They look lock-ish. Also, they're extremely light, I mean like feather light...nothing like Marley braids or faux locs.

I've never seen yarn braids IRL. Do they look like hair or do they look like yarn? I probably should just buy a thing of yarn and see what they look like.

Do you know if it takes more time to install them than kinky twists?

NowIAmNappy

I've never seen yarn braids IRL. Do they look like hair or do they look like yarn? I probably should just buy a thing of yarn and see what they look like. Do you know if it takes more time to install them than kinky twists?

I have yarn locs in my hair right now, the pic is my profile picture. I'll also attach a few more so you can see what they look like. I've done yarn braids before you can check my fotki for more pics. The yarn wraps take a long time to install because you have to initially braid in the yarn for like an inch and then you wrap the yarn all the way down the hair. It took me about 14 hours. If you have more questions hit me up.

Attachments

• image-2713928159.jpg
    image-2713928159.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2424831763.jpg
    image-2424831763.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image-773890476.jpg
    image-773890476.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 51

faithVA

I have yarn locs in my hair right now, the pic is my profile picture. I'll also attach a few more so you can see what they look like. I've done yarn braids before you can check my fotki for more pics. The yarn wraps take a long time to install because you have to initially braid in the yarn for like an inch and then you wrap the yarn all the way down the hair. It took me about 14 hours. If you have more questions hit me up.

Thank You. I will probably try out one or two to see how it goes.

I have seen your pictures and they look nice. I think I will have to try one to really see what they look like IRL. I can't tell from pictures.

Subscribe

NowIAmNappy

You and your locs are beautiful :yep:

What kind og yarn do you use?

How many budles did it take to accomplish this style?

How long do they last?

How do you wad them and how often?

NowIAmNappy

@NowIAmNappy

You and your locs are beautiful :yep:

What kind og yarn do you use?

How many budles did it take to accomplish this style?

How long do they last?

How do you wad them and how often?

Thanks!! I used the Red Heart Super Saver yarn the Black color and the Burgundy color. I used one bundle of the black and maybe 1/4 of the burgundy color for the front. I plan on keeping them in for about 3 months. I wash them by diluting shampoo and water in an applicator bottle and focusing mainly on my roots. I do the same with conditioner but apply the conditioner all the way down the loc. They are extremely heavy when wet. I'm washing them every week to 2 weeks depeding on how my scalp is feeling. I work out 4-5 times a week so depending on how strenuous the workout it sometimes the buildup is bad, in the case I'll wash every 5-7 days. I spritz them ever 2 or 3 days and oil my scalp occasionally.

ETA some people burn the ends I chose not to because I literally did them the exact length of my hair.

NIN4eva

You hair looks fab. Those hours were worth it. Love the color too. Thanks for the info!

NIN4eva

I've never seen yarn braids IRL. Do they look like hair or do they look like yarn? I probably should just buy a thing of yarn and see what they look like.

Do you know if it takes more time to install them than kinky twists?

Same here. That's why I've never really considered it. But I'm rethinking now. Not looking forward to spending hours on a style because the last time I braided my hair I developed a nasty cold right in the middle of that session (over the weekend) and it came out terrible, and now I have a bad association with long hair braiding sessions. :lol:

jbwphoto1

I've done my own yarn braids a few times and they looked like thick fluffy braids. You could still tell there was my natural hair in them. A co-worker had hers done by another co-worker and hers were gorgeous. All you could see was the yarn, so hers probably took a lot longer than mine to do.