Long hair ladies-Dealing with damage-cut or trim?

natstar

Hi ladies, I need your advice-

I went to the stylist for a flatiron and trim and she stated I had damage in the crown and should get a hair cut (in layers).

I don't particularly like layers and was thinking that I could just grow out the damage while getting trims for split ends 2-3 year

Would getting trims vs a cut further lead to thinning?

Has anyone experienced cut/vs trim dilemma? Let me know your thoughts/experiences/suggestions.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm side eying the stylist. What kind of damage did you have? Heat damage? Split ends? It sounds so vauge and like she just wants to cut some layers in your hair. Your hair won't look as thick if you get layers but it could look fuller with layers depending on how its styled.

I would just trim it out gradually

natstar

I'm side eying the stylist. What kind of damage did you have? Heat damage? Split ends? It sounds so vauge and like she just wants to cut some layers in your hair. Your hair won't look as thick if you get layers but it could look fuller with layers depending on how its styled.

I would just trim it out gradually

Not heat damage. I think it was from some highlights that i am currently growing out. She saw thinner parts in the crown area which is my more brittle area. I baby it as much as I can.

frida1980

Not heat damage. I think it was from some highlights that i am currently growing out. She saw thinner parts in the crown area which is my more brittle area. I baby it as much as I can.

Don't get layers. I got them years ago, and I regretted it ever since. It forces you back to the hair dresser, since only they can really trim them. I can tell you how many times my layers got split ends and wouldn't cooperate with the rest of my healthy hair. It makes your hair look so much thinner. Without them, I can trim my hair as I please.

If you have damage due to highlights, focus on gradually growing them out instead. Gradually trim it to get rid of the damage. Or cut all of the hair at once. But don't get layers especially not to take care of damage. It causes another hassle with hair care.

Holla

Find a new stylist. If she can't trim the damaged section without cutting layers all over your head, then she's useless to you on your hair journey. If the rest of your hair is healthy there is no reason to cut those other sections. Plus cutting your hair doesn't alleviate the problem. You still need to figure out what is causing the breakage. It could be the way you style your hair, apply your treatments, lay your head, etc. If you are wearing high ponytails, rubbing shampoo vigorously on that section, or laying down on your sofa arm too often, you could get breakage in that area. You need a stylist that can do more that just default cut your hair.