So what exactly IS a trim----to YOU??

zzirvingj

I ask this because of my past experiences with so many stylists who seem to use the word "trim" and "cut" interchangeably. In other words, most of the time that a stylist has referred to a trim for me, they are actually talking about a cut (in my opinion).

So....do you consider a trim to be "just cutting off the split ends"? Or do you consider a trim "cutting off all the damaged/thin hair". Should a trim always even out the hair? Or is that only important to you when you're getting your hair CUT into an actual STYLE?

Just curious....

mw138

I've always considered a trim just that, trimming off the ends. For me, I usually only get about 1/8" cut off when I get a trim. IMO, a cut is when you (voluntarily) want an inch or more cut off at one time.

SvelteVelvet

lisana said:
A trim, to me, is 1/4" or less. The difference in length should not be noticeable but the your hair should look and feel better.

Ditto, a good trim to me is when people comment that my hair looks longer and I just got a trim and the ends are smooth & even, giving it a healthier look.

Finewine

this is exactly why I now use the term dusting to specificy just cutting off the necessary stuff. For me, dusting is around 1/4". If a beautician recommends a trim i'm thinking they mean an even cut of at least 1/2", regardless of the hair's condition.

Artemis

lisana said:
A trim, to me, is 1/4" or less. The difference in length should not be noticeable but the your hair should look and feel better.

ITA :yep:

Any more cut off and your asking for :hammer:

:lol:

kittenz

I think the terms are relative. The longer your hair is the longer your trim will become. If you 1/2 inch hair cutting off 1/4inch is a cut but if you have BSL hair your trim could be a little longer. Does this make any sense at all?:ohwell:

NuMe2004

I've noticed that some stylists think it is necessary for the hair to be blunt cut--that is where all the length is even. I've even had one tell me that in order to even out my hair, they would have to "trim" off a lot of inches.

I NEVER feel the need to have my hair all one length, which is why a trim to me is simply going through my hair, section by section, to trim off dead ends. That may mean taking off as much as 1/4". However, if my hair is really lopsided (one side of my head is longer than the other), then I'll cut wherever necessary to make the hair come together evenly.

I really think you have to know what style you want and what your hair needs. My sides grow faster than the middle of my hair, so I have to trim off more on the sides to get it to not look funky. But I do agree that a trim and cut are two different things!

shunta

Wow, I must be in the minority cuz I think 1" is a lot of hair for a "trim".:perplexed

Maybe its good that we see this feedback so if I have to go to a stylist and get trimmed again, Im not gonna ask for a trim in fear that she may cut 1" off. I'll have to tell her 1/4" just so we can be clear.

rdm

1/4 inch, which I used to get every 6 weeks!! Hair still grew because I limited heat. Now that I stretch 8 weeks, I still consider a trim to be 1/4th inch. I was so happy that I had to stand up for my stylist to trim my hair the last time. I have 2 weeks and 2 days until my 8 week stretch is over. Okay...I have given more info than asked.

rissybaby

A trim for me is simply trimming off the dead ends. period. However my stylist seems to think otherwise and basically considers to trim and to cut the same thing. I dont need to mention just how many times i have argued with her about how i thought she was just going to "trim" my hair, after inches have been taken off...:ohwell: ...depressing...