layers: good or bad? (long and confused)

caralexis2005

how do layers affect how well your hair retains length?
i am thinking about getting layers in the front because this hair seems to be less healthy from all the manipulation OR layers allover at the ends for more movement and shape. What do you guys think? what have been your experiences with layers? do they make it harder to achieve length or do they alleviate damage allover the hair by cutting ends at all lengths?
any info is appreciated before i cut my hair in haste.

inthepink

My sister has long layers all over and she's had them for years. Her hair is very long - probably right below bra strap length and she's natural. It hasn't affected her hair ability to gain length at all. Plus, it gives her hair a nice shape and it's so bouncy. I'm just not brave enough for layers! I saw her get them one time and thought -omg, he cut a lot of hair. But when the stylist was done, it was gorgeous. Still, my sister isn't concerned with length - she's more concerned with style. Luckily, length is something that comes pretty easily for her.

pebbles

Layers are nice and definitely add style, but for me personally, it's been a nightmare trying to grow them out. The front of my hair doesn't grow as fast as the top and back of my head. I would love to see my hair all the same length, but at this rate, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

I like them although it depends how the layers are done, you don't want tonnes of them and to have a big space/difference between each layer.

The key is finding a good stylist. I've not found a problem having them. I like the shape it gives instead of hair all one length hanging either side of my face which for me, isn't as flattering.

MoezThunder

I'm definitely a layer kinda girl!
I'm with you brownrelaxed,
straight hair hanging beside my face does nothing for me....I'd rather body and bounce....then straight and stringy; as my hair is somewhat fine.