Long haired naturals....

I went through a couple of periods where I wanted something different really bad AND I was tired of dealing with my hair...so I got braids :yep: It did feel good to have a style but I didn't have to worry about combing or detangling my hair for weeks :yep:

I just took my braids out last week after having them in almost a month. I got bored. :ohwell: Maybe I should just cover my hair up until summer so I don't have to think about it.

i dunno ladies. seems to me that we all have an "in between" stage, and if you can make it past that hump you're usually okay. at least that's how it worked for me. but then, i don't spend too much time styling my hair either. i just don't fool with it outside of detangling once a week, so i don't feel like i put all that much effort into my hair. and when i do put effort into it like braiding it up, it stays braided up for a few weeks so really i'm putting even LESS effort into it.

i dunno ladies. seems to me that we all have an "in between" stage, and if you can make it past that hump you're usually okay. at least that's how it worked for me. but then, i don't spend too much time styling my hair either. i just don't fool with it outside of detangling once a week, so i don't feel like i put all that much effort into my hair. and when i do put effort into it like braiding it up, it stays braided up for a few weeks so really i'm putting even LESS effort into it.

*nod* I only fool with mine twice a month. :lachen: Mind, I spend about 4-6 hours on it every other weekend, but I don't fret (or deal with) it much during the week - I like to sleep-in. :lol:

I know what you mean. I don't wash as frequently as I used to:look: because its a lot of work. What helps is that I wash in about 8 sections, so I am not overwhelmed with my whole head at one time. I never comb it dry, only when its wet, with conditioner. I am also forced to wear my hair pressed more often because of little knots that form at the end when I wear it in it's natural/curly state. It's all worth it for me though...I'm currently a lil past bsl and still want to get to midback.:yep:

I drool over your hair. You are one of my inspirations that keeps me transitioning!

I'm beginning to rethink my growth goals as a natural. Did any of you ladies start to feel overwhelmed as your hair got longer? At what length? Are you experiencing more tangling with long hair? How did you learn to manage it all that hair?

I never really wanted hair longer than APL but the longer my hair gets the more I'm starting to dread combing it. And my hair isn't even long yet. I bought some weave hair similar to my texture to have installed for my bday and I gave it a trial run this weekend. I don't think I'll ever want that much hair on my head. :nono: I couldn't imagine combing and washing and detangling all that hair. It's not so much the length but it's the bulk of the hair. I like the hair and I think it's going to be a pretty style but I can see myself getting tired of it after a month and wanting it out of my head.

No, I do not feel overwhelmed at all. My hair is around BSL (hopefully it is a little longer, I haven't measured since late December) and my ultimate goal is WL stretched (BSL unstretched). As time goes on, I continue to make small changes to my regimen so that it takes less work to make my hair look good. I don't like spending too much time on my hair, so I really only deal with it twice a month. It's the little things that I do daily (moisturizing and sealing) that makes wash day quick and easy.

Having a protein/moisture balance has really helped my hair, especially the moisture. When my hair is moisturized and soft, detangling is a breeze.

I personally LOVE long, thick, natural hair. I think it's beautiful. In the long run, long natural hair is less time consuming for me and works best with my lifestyle.

I don't use oil in my hair. My hair doesn't like oil. Neither does my skin. :sad:

Glamazon,

I know you don't like oil and it prob makes your hair difficult for styling and maintenance when incorporated as a regular maintence product or styling aid.....but in this case I am suggesting you don't use the oil as a styling aid or daily regimine product only use it before going to bed the night before you want to wash your hair specifically for detangeling. You could try it once for this purpose maybe it might work and save you from the creamy crack.

I would say coconut oil would be an easy one to get ahold of, easier than amala.

If you put it on your hair before going to bed and then put a scarf on it the oil shouldn't get all over everything or your skin......then in the morning detangle with your fingers in the shower first then detaingle in the shower with a wide tooth comb and wash every drop of oil out of your hair. If not I understand and I hope you find somthing that works. Also, silk amino acid might help. Do a search for it..

:yep:

I'm gonna try not to complain too much but YES i'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. I really started feeling like this last summer when I was almost to bsl...but i was pregnant so I thought after I had my daughter i'd be back to normal. WRONG. It's getting worse, thoughts of relaxing are dancing through my head. Now I'm right between bsl & wsl but this weekend i intend to chop at least 3 or 4 inches (with my shrinkage, no one can tell anyway).

The detangling is what is really killing me, I get these huge knots no matter what I do. I've tried every technique including the oil one that luzminerva mentioned....and I've been a pj for a few years now and I'm just tired of it. I'm hoping the chop will help a little....I may braid it up for the next month or so just to give me a break.

One thing I know though is that even though I think of relaxing, I wouldn't do it because I would miss my natural hair...i don't want flat hair, I just want to be able to manage my hair better.

Glamazon,

I know you don't like oil and it prob makes your hair difficult for styling and maintenance when incorporated as a regular maintence product or styling aid.....but in this case I am suggesting you don't use the oil as a styling aid or daily regimine product only use it before going to bed the night before you want to wash your hair specifically for detangeling. You could try it once for this purpose maybe it might work and save you from the creamy crack.

I would say coconut oil would be an easy one to get ahold of, easier than amala.

If you put it on your hair before going to bed and then put a scarf on it the oil shouldn't get all over everything or your skin......then in the morning detangle with your fingers in the shower first then detaingle in the shower with a wide tooth comb and wash every drop of oil out of your hair. If not I understand and I hope you find somthing that works. Also, silk amino acid might help. Do a search for it..

:yep:

I'm not having problems with detangling. I mentioned that in my initial post. I just don't want to comb it cause it takes too damn long. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by the amount of hair. I don't even have that much hair but it just seems like a lot because of the bulk. I can't use oils or grease. Most oily or greasy products break me out or give me a rash/hives. I don't use oil or grease in my hair at all. Or on my skin. I don't know what is, but if it gets down in my pores I will be in pure hell from itching and scratching. I'm very sensitive. :nono:

Thanks for your responses ladies... I would agree with the red BrockStar but your hair is so much longer than mine. :sad: Please keep me from making an appt y'all!! Rihanna's haircut is calling me! :look:

Er-uhhh...Glamazon, if you want Rihanna's haircut, get it...with a wig or weave, of course. Do YOU! :yep:

OMG I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the same thing everytime I go by there. The last time she did my hair she actually mixed the relaxer and had it ready, and she's like...you sure you don't wanna do it?? you need it girl!" :perplexed I'm like damn, just straighten it and trim it please!

Alright thanks. :) I might have to try that yogurt thing myself. I'm planning on getting a weave for my bday so hopefully that'll get my mind off of it for a while.

Er-uhhh...Glamazon, if you want Rihanna's haircut, get it...with a wig or weave, of course. Do YOU! :yep:

It's not the same. It won't look as good. I'm tired of wearing wigs covering my hair up all the damn time. :ohwell: What's the point in putting in all this work and trying to grow it out if it's up under a wig all the time? I had enough of that when I was relaxed. I just want to be happy with my own hair and be able to wear it out and still be fierce at the same time. My hair is not fierce. I don't feel fierce. I'm just not feeling it right now. :nono:

:look: What is this LTR you speak of?? Ahhh - is it the Hello Hydration Long term Relationship con? *sigh* Okay.

its the herbal essences long term relationship... and it smells like raspberries (i guess... i never really smelled raspeberries or i'm assuming:yep:)
Anywo it makes my hair feel like silk!

It's not the same. It won't look as good. I'm tired of wearing wigs covering my hair up all the damn time. :ohwell: What's the point in putting in all this work and trying to grow it out if it's up under a wig all the time? I had enough of that when I was relaxed. I just want to be happy with my own hair and be able to wear it out and still be fierce at the same time. My hair is not fierce. I don't feel fierce. I'm just not feeling it right now. :nono:

Gurllll, I am going thru the same ish right now. It honestly ticks me off LOL. I need to be able to get fierce in minutes and when I can't make it happen I start to feel really FROGGY and start leapin'! Last time that happened I ended up with the cut that Rhianna is rockin now. So I totally feel you on this!!!

But I don't even want to comb it now. :sad: I'm tired of doing all this washing and dcing and twisting and combing just to turn around and it not look like anything. I'm tired of not really having a "style" to my hair will all these Susie Ho Hum Homemade Kitchen Hair dos. I don't feel polished. That's why I wear wigs so much that way I can have a style. I'm so tempted to perm it and get a fierce short hair cut. I don't know why I didn't do it for a little while before I bced. :ohwell:

I am SO feeling you with this..couldn't have said it better myself. The other day I flatironed my hair then put it in flexirods. I thought it was cute..till I realized I looked like a 5yr. old or a church lady. :ohwell: Nothing wrong with either one...but I need to be getting my grown and sexy on...my hair right now isn't making feel too hot :sad:. I dream of being a long haired natural, but times are gettin tuff.

I thought it was cute..till I realized I looked like a 5yr. old or a church lady. :ohwell: Nothing wrong with either one...but I need to be getting my grown and sexy on...my hair right now isn't making feel too hot :sad:. I dream of being a long haired natural, but times are gettin tuff.

:lol:You took the words right outta my mouth!

I have friends who get their pressed hair styled like any relaxed style and it looks flawless. It actually has more body than when it was relaxed.

WOW. Get out of my head! Being natural has been an amazing experience, but I do miss fierce hair! I love my texture so much and the discovery of all the natural journey stuff. But I want to go to the Dominican's SO bad just
for a banging rollerset and they won't have to blowdry my entire head!!! I miss my updo's and QUICK phony pony's. Is really do miss being relaxed sometimes! I was about an inch away from length when I got my short cut. Damn girl...:ohwell:

BTW...when is your birthday...? (I'm tryin to see how long it'll be before you get your weave...cuz the farther away that date is, the more time you have to keep contemplating that visit to your old stylist, LOL)

By the way, just out of curiosity...can you post a pic of Rihanna's style you are referring to? Cuz recently I saw a pic of her and it looked different than it had been looking recently--she wasn't wearing the long, swoop bang that I had been seeing her with.

When you get your weave that'll not only give you some "time away" from your hair...but it'll give you some time to think about what you're going to do with your hair next (style-wise, etc.). And whatever you decide it needs to be what makes you happy.

What is most important to you right now? Is it most important that you stay natural? If so, is it really important that you have long natural hair or not? Or is it most important that you have a style that makes you look and feel "polished" every day? If so, what styles make you feel that you are achieving that look and would those styles best be achieved if you stay natural?

Sorry to ramble and these aren't questions I necessarily expect you to answer, just some random thoughts that would have popped in my mind if I were where you are at right now.

BTW...when is your birthday...? (I'm tryin to see how long it'll be before you get your weave...cuz the farther away that date is, the more time you have to keep contemplating that visit to your old stylist, LOL)

By the way, just out of curiosity...can you post a pic of Rihanna's style you are referring to? Cuz recently I saw a pic of her and it looked different than it had been looking recently--she wasn't wearing the long, swoop bang that I had been seeing her with.

When you get your weave that'll not only give you some "time away" from your hair...but it'll give you some time to think about what you're going to do with your hair next (style-wise, etc.). And whatever you decide it needs to be what makes you happy.

What is most important to you right now? Is it most important that you stay natural? If so, is it really important that you have long natural hair or not? Or is it most important that you have a style that makes you look and feel "polished" every day? If so, what styles make you feel that you are achieving that look and would those styles best be achieved if you stay natural?

Sorry to ramble and these aren't questions I necessarily expect you to answer, just some random thoughts that would have popped in my mind if I were where you are at right now.

ZZirvingj it's a little over a week from today. March 3. I'm having a hard time getting a weave appt though. I don't want to trust just anybody with my hair. I had a few people I knew I could call but people want to be MIA and I don't want to pay out the behind for a weave. Especially since the hair was expensive. If all else fails I'll go up the street to the African shop and get them to cornrow my hair and then I'll come home and sew it myself.

As far as Rihanna's hair goes, I like the style she has now. The new haircut. Not any of the ones with the tracks in. She has a long bang over her face and the back is cut low. Not quite tapered but low.

I like my natural hair and the reason I went natural was because I got tired of dealing with my thin relaxed hair. I had finally gotten it to the point where it was healthy and wasn't breaking off all over the place anymore. I was seeing visible progress but it was just so thin. I knew my hair was thin/fine by nature (it runs on my dad's side) but for some reason I thought that it would thicken up some without the relaxer. It didn't. So that sucks. Also, I rarely wore my hair straight. I was always in curly/wavy weaves so I figured why spend all these hundreds of dollars on curly hair when I could grow my own. That's really why I went natural.

I really just want a nice style that has character. A style that looks good on me and is fashionable. Something that will go with my lifestyle, my clothes, my age, etc. And a wash and go or a bun (just about the only styles I do with my hair) is just not getting it. It's not giving me that "it" factor I desire. I miss my weekly salon visits (I went every week in high school) and being able to come out with a nice pretty style every time. When I was in college I didn't have the $$ for that but now I do. I seriously felt like I fell off when I was in college. I was used to everything being on point from top to bottom.

Yes, it's important to me to stay natural but I don't want to sacrifice style for looking like who shot john all the time either. It's like I go get my nails done, put my clothes on, put my makeup on and then you get to the hair and it's like :huh:. Everytime I go somewhere (especially if I have to dress up) I wear a wig. I'm just tired of it. I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and I really want to go in there being myself.

Oh my, see now I'm getting scared. Before I cut my hair again, I had the usual dry tangle/knots problem. I co-washed everyday tho, and detangled with my fingers. Detangling w/ my fingers wasn't a problem. I used a comb to detangle after shampooing (maybe twice a week) while my hair was full of conditioner.

If I tried to comb my hair dry, it'd be hell, but my usual shower detangle wasn't a problem. Soaking wet, my hair stretched out a little passed necklength.

As far as my long-hair goals, APL unstretched is fine with me. But even if I figure that I have to settle at SL unstretched and APL stretched due to whatever detangling complications, that'll be fine with me too.

As long as I get to the length where I can comfortably twist my hair into a natural bun; that's my ultimate goal. I hope that I don't have many complications. I can't say that I'll never get another relaxer, but I would like to make those chances as small of a percentage as possible.

ETA: There are haircuts that natural haired ladies can get to reduce the bulk of the hair. I think it's like the "Angle Balance" or "Quiad" method or something like that.

Last edited:
ZZirvingj it's a little over a week from today. March 3. I'm having a hard time getting a weave appt though. I don't want to trust just anybody with my hair. I had a few people I knew I could call but people want to be MIA and I don't want to pay out the behind for a weave. Especially since the hair was expensive. If all else fails I'll go up the street to the African shop and get them to cornrow my hair and then I'll come home and sew it myself.

As far as Rihanna's hair goes, I like the style she has now. The new haircut. Not any of the ones with the tracks in. She has a long bang over her face and the back is cut low. Not quite tapered but low.

I like my natural hair and the reason I went natural was because I got tired of dealing with my thin relaxed hair. I had finally gotten it to the point where it was healthy and wasn't breaking off all over the place anymore. I was seeing visible progress but it was just so thin. I knew my hair was thin/fine by nature (it runs on my dad's side) but for some reason I thought that it would thicken up some without the relaxer. It didn't. So that sucks. Also, I rarely wore my hair straight. I was always in curly/wavy weaves so I figured why spend all these hundreds of dollars on curly hair when I could grow my own. That's really why I went natural.

I really just want a nice style that has character. A style that looks good on me and is fashionable. Something that will go with my lifestyle, my clothes, my age, etc. And a wash and go or a bun (just about the only styles I do with my hair) is just not getting it. It's not giving me that "it" factor I desire. I miss my weekly salon visits (I went every week in high school) and being able to come out with a nice pretty style every time. When I was in college I didn't have the $$ for that but now I do. I seriously felt like I fell off when I was in college. I was used to everything being on point from top to bottom.

Yes, it's important to me to stay natural but I don't want to sacrifice style for looking like who shot john all the time either. It's like I go get my nails done, put my clothes on, put my makeup on and then you get to the hair and it's like :huh:. Everytime I go somewhere (especially if I have to dress up) I wear a wig. I'm just tired of it. I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and I really want to go in there being myself.

What about getting it pressed? I know we've talked about heat before, and you mentioned reversion being a problem, but think about it...you can either relax it and have permanently straight hair all the time, or you can get it pressed regularly. It may loosen your texture a bit, but that's basically what a relaxer would have done anyway, right? And you don't have to worry about retouches, chemicals on your scalp, etc. Plus, you'd get your weekly salon visits and pampering, and you could have your curls back whenever you wanted.

Maybe I'm just being selfish, because I love your hair.:grin:

What about getting it pressed? I know we've talked about heat before, and you mentioned reversion being a problem, but think about it...you can either relax it and have permanently straight hair all the time, or you can get it pressed regularly. It may loosen your texture a bit, but that's basically what a relaxer would have done anyway, right? And you don't have to worry about retouches, chemicals on your scalp, etc. Plus, you'd get your weekly salon visits and pampering, and you could have your curls back whenever you wanted.

Maybe I'm just being selfish, because I love your hair.:grin:

Thanks Lauren. I've had it straightened a few times (With no damage. There are plenty of pictures in my fotki.). I usually get it straightened (blow dried with a paddle brush and then flat ironed) once every 3 months and get a trim if needed. I only had a problem with reversion that one time and I think that was because of the serum he used. He tried something new. I tried straightening it myself a few days ago and my ends look like crap. :nono:

The thing I hate about it being straight is that my hair is thin. It looks like I have a lot of hair when it's in it's natural state but once it's straight it's thin. I hate it. :cry3: It doesn't hold a style even with a hair cut while it's natural. IDK why but it just does whatever the hell it wants. I've tried wrapping it, rolling it, pincurling it, etc. And it still looks like who shot john in the morning. All I can do is run the flat iron over it again and I don't like to do that. I can't do anything with it but get it straightened and wear it down. After about a week I get tired of it. It's not long enough to pull back because of all the natural layers. It's not really long enough to pin up either because of all the different layers. :ohwell: The only way to even it out is to cut the back even with the rest but that isn't going to fix anything. I wish it would just grow out. Until then I'm gonna be stuck looking a HAM. It still isn't cut into a style so it looks homely. And I'm gonna have to run from the humidity. I'm not gonna be able to go to the club for fear I'm gonna leave with an afro by the end of the night. I'm just so frustrated with it. Last time I felt like this I cut all my hair off. I'm so tired of this inbetween foolishness. :wallbash:

Last edited:
First of all Happy B-Day! I don't have anything to add but I do feel you. I'm in the same place you are. I feel like I am in a between stage too. I usually wear my half wigs for protective styling but also because I know my hair would be a ham (my hair turns into a bush once the humidity hits it).

I also have fine hair that looks really thick in its natural form (medium density) but not so much once it's straight. I decided to go natural because my hair was thinning out around my edges as well as looking thin overall.

Although I've seen some of your wig styles and half wigs which always look really cute on you, I know what you mean about wanting your own hair to look stylish.

I'm sure you will come up with something because you seem to be creative. But, when you do, let me know too :)

Thanks Lauren. I've had it straightened a few times (With no damage. There are plenty of pictures in my fotki.). I usually get it straightened (blow dried with a paddle brush and then flat ironed) once every 3 months and get a trim if needed. I only had a problem with reversion that one time and I think that was because of the serum he used. He tried something new. I tried straightening it myself a few days ago and my ends look like crap. :nono:

The thing I hate about it being straight is that my hair is thin. It looks like I have a lot of hair when it's in it's natural state but once it's straight it's thin. I hate it. :cry3: It doesn't hold a style even with a hair cut while it's natural. IDK why but it just does whatever the hell it wants. I've tried wrapping it, rolling it, pincurling it, etc. And it still looks like who shot john in the morning. All I can do is run the flat iron over it again and I don't like to do that. I can't do anything with it but get it straightened and wear it down. After about a week I get tired of it. It's not long enough to pull back because of all the natural layers. It's not really long enough to pin up either because of all the different layers. :ohwell: The only way to even it out is to cut the back even with the rest but that isn't going to fix anything. I wish it would just grow out. Until then I'm gonna be stuck looking a HAM. It still isn't cut into a style so it looks homely. And I'm gonna have to run from the humidity. I'm not gonna be able to go to the club for fear I'm gonna leave with an afro by the end of the night. I'm just so frustrated with it. Last time I felt like this I cut all my hair off. I'm so tired of this inbetween foolishness. :wallbash:

Happy bday Glam...I have nothing to add sorry but i feel u on the bolded bcos thats exactly how my hair is too! I started on Den's mega diet challenge so im hoping with the extra protein (shakes) and castor oil...i will gain some thickness...it seemed to help last yr but then i stopped...hopefully ull figure out something soon(((hugs)))

Hi Glamazon,
I think along the way we have mentioned that we have very similar hair types but where you have always seemed so in control of your hair - i am at my wits end.
I honestly don't think my hair is going to get any longer in its natural state. I absolutely dread washing/detangling as i can hear the comb breaking my hair. I've had two presses and they have left me with damaged areas - which means when i where my hair in twists some the twists hang straight and unravel :nono:.

I've always spoken quite openly about hating weaves and wigs but i've finally given in - i'm getting tree braids done tomorrow as i think this is the only way i can leave my hair alone and acheive a look i am hoping for. Lord knows they had better look good otherwise that will be another £50 down the drain and i'll have to spend time undoing it all.

I too am sick of looking like unglamorous/like a little kid and worrying myself sick about my hair. I refuse to wear a wash n go as i think i look unkept as its only collar length stretched. My friends just don't want to hear about my hair moans anymore. I want to concentrate more on my clothes and make-up and nails and not worry about this huge tangle mass on my head.

Please PM me when you need a little moral support as i don't want you or i or any of the other ladies slapping that relaxer on our heads.

Originally Posted by glamazon386

Wow. I feel like I look busted all the time too. Just blah. I am so use to hot styles. Styles that look fierce. But, with my nappy hair and at this stage it's always lke blah. Exceptt early FEB. I did some flat twist outs and bobby pinned it up in unique ways. I was KILLIN' it. I was wow. Wow!

What I did prior to feb. was get braids. I had kinky twist that I could pin up and do different stuff with. It was lovely. Than I got tree braids and did my 40's hair styles. Victory rolls etc.. It was great.

However, I felt bad because I was neglecting my natural hair. I need to be fierce with natural hair. I always feel like a fro looks amazing on me, but too many tangles. However, if I am in a jam..I will wet my hair so quick and look AMAZING!

Anywhoo..I am trying to learn different styles with my natural hair and learn how to look o so good.

I am going to flat iron for the first time in may. About my 3rd year nappy. I am on a vitamin reg to see if I can get some amazing growth. Don't wnat to flat iron if hair isn't longer. I am reaching bottom of collar bone now.

Last edited:
Glamazon, have you tried a fro-hawk? They're hot. That's another way to spice up your hair a bit. Also, pinning one side up and letting the other side hang free (like a half-way fro-hawk). I tried it once before I cut my hair, and it was funky and pretty.

Give it a try and see if you feel your hair fierce-ness coming back.

Back