Longtime Breakage...Help me please

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Ok ladies ever since about five years ago I have had breakage right smack dab in the middle of my head :mad: .All of my hair is flourishing including the broke off middle. But how do i keep it from getting tangled and matted so it won't break off again or some more? Can you ladies please give me some suggestions? :(

ChosenbyGod

What do you think is the cause of this breakage right in the middle of your head and not anywhere else?? :confused: Are you brushing your hair? How are you styling it? You could try detangling in the shower under running water w/ a wide tooth comb. Also, keep that part of your hair moist with a good moisturizer like Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. I also know that some ladies use S-curl and Sta Sof Fro (sp??) to soften.

I'm sure the other ladies will chime in w/ more advice :)

HTH

KAddy

Those are great questions CW.

Also, do you comb your hair a lot there? That could also contribute to the breakage.

When you get touch-ups, where do you begin?

KhandiB

Mine breaks off at the crown area alot, but it seems to only happen when I wrap my hair... Im sure it probably has alot to do with the fact that my hair seems incapable of holding moisture for longer than a day if I dont wrap it..

Im confused :lol:

Imma just keep reading on .....

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Well let's see it all started when I was about 11 years old and had babysitter that absolutely adored my hair. It was in the middle of my back. And so she decides that she wants to style it and put gel in my hair. I didn't know that gel could harm my hair if I combed through it. So that's what I did and to make a long story short I was tearing and ripping my hair out :mad: .

When I got older I did manage to grow my hair back, but it was never the same after that :perplexed . My hair still breaking on a regular basis. I haven't been using heat since joining LHCF as much as used to.Maybe once every two weeks or longer.I actually don't comb my hair alot there but it still breaks.When I get a touchup I begin in the back of my head.

Right now my regime is....

-Conditioner washes 3 times a week
-deep conditioning when needed
-styling consists of ponytails or wearing hair down using rollers ( need some protective styles)
-Vitamins everyday (MSM, Biotin, B-100s)
-leave in conditioner/ors olive oil /Dudleys Creme press mixed once a day
-coconut oil on my ends

-I've never had a hardcore protein treatment ( Didn't know about it until back in Nov 04 when I joined)

Crysdon

vikkisecret said:
Well let's see it all started when I was about 11 years old and had babysitter that absolutely adored my hair. It was in the middle of my back. And so she decides that she wants to style it and put gel in my hair. I didn't know that gel could harm my hair if I combed through it. So that's what I did and to make a long story short I was tearing and ripping my hair out :mad: .

When I got older I did manage to grow my hair back, but it was never the same after that :perplexed . My hair still breaking on a regular basis. I haven't been using heat since joining LHCF as much as used to.Maybe once every two weeks or longer.I actually don't comb my hair alot there but it still breaks.When I get a touchup I begin in the back of my head.

Right now my regime is....

-Conditioner washes 3 times a week
-deep conditioning when needed
-styling consists of ponytails or wearing hair down using rollers ( need some protective styles)
-Vitamins everyday (MSM, Biotin, B-100s)
-leave in conditioner/ors olive oil /Dudleys Creme press mixed once a day
-coconut oil on my ends

-I've never had a hardcore protein treatment ( Didn't know about it until back in Nov 04 when I joined)

That ponytail could be the cause of your problem. I really don't think the gel that the babysitter put in your hair years ago is what's causing the breakage.

Try to switch your ponytails to different positions (side ponytail, low ponytail, high ponytail, etc.) and don't wrap the band around too tight. Also, get the ouchless ponytail holders that don't have the metal band in the middle.

lvmyhur

I have the same problem in my crown. I have an area that breaks constantly and I have a very itchy sometimes sore scalp in that area. I recently went to a dermatologist and she told me it comes from relaxers (she suggested I go natural). She gave me an article about "Inflammatory Alopecia". "It has been called hot com alopecia, even though it occurs in African American patients who do not hot comb their hair." She wrote me a prescription for Dermasmoothe, some type of steroid in a peanut oil base. I'll use that every day for four weeks and then go back to her for a scalp biopsy. Currently, I am in braids.

Isis

Crysdon said:
That ponytail could be the cause of your problem. I really don't think the gel that the babysitter put in your hair years ago is what's causing the breakage.

Try to switch your ponytails to different positions (side ponytail, low ponytail, high ponytail, etc.) and don't wrap the band around too tight. Also, get the ouchless ponytail holders that don't have the metal band in the middle.
I agree with Crysdon that the ponytail could be it. That can and will break hair off if the band is too tight and it is not a "safe" band.