Why is the middle of my hair breaking?

Nice

Ladies you have got to help me

The middle section of my hair has always been a problem for me. It always seems to break at the root. During 2003, I cut off a lot of my hair to get a fresh start. Everything was going great until this weekend I noticed some breakage in the middle of my hair. It is not bad right now but I am afraid that it is only the beginning.

I use a moisturizing conditioner (under the dryer) every week and I use a strong protein once a month followed by a deep moisturizing treatment. The main products are Nexxus and KeraCare.

Please help if you have any suggestions.

JenJen2721

What's your regimen? How often do you use heat? Are you using any type of protective styling and if so, what type? How often do you relax?

The answers will help pinpoint what might be causing the breakage and possible solutions.

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
What's your regimen? How often do you use heat? Are you using any type of protective styling and if so, what type? How often do you relax?

The answers will help pinpoint what might be causing the breakage and possible solutions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank for responding girl

Well, I current do not wear protective styles (shame on me
) I wash my hair once a week (using any shampoo, KeraCare Humecto or Nexxus Humectress, KereCare Leave-in, (sometime Mizani Styling Mousse for body)and do a rollerset and dry it under a hooded dryer.

I usually wrap my hair 4 nights out the week and sleep with a bun for the other nights.

I relax every 8 weeks.

Nova

Nice:

I used to have the same problem. What helps me is daily spraying in a leave-in moisturizer (lately I'm using Surge), then message in a small amount of castor oil.

I'm sure other hair angels on this board will come to your rescue with their sage advice. Please keep us posted.

Good Luck!

TigerOrange

I used to have this problem when I was relaxed. After I stopped getting roller sets every week it stopped. I don't think my hair liked the heat that much. Maybe you should try twist outs or braid outs, whatever gets you away from any heat.

ElizaBlue

I think wrapping )especially if you do the same direction always) may be the culprit. There was a post on how to wrap using pin curl method. That is what I'm going to try because I want to try wearing my hair straightened.

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
TigerOrange said:
I used to have this problem when I was relaxed. After I stopped getting roller sets every week it stopped. I don't think my hair liked the heat that much. Maybe you should try twist outs or braid outs, whatever gets you away from any heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for one of the big four accounting firms so my option with hairstyles are very limited. My hair is a little below my ears so twist outs and braid outs always come out looking kind of wild so I don't think it would look to appropriate for work.

Thanks

JenJen2721

Does your breakage occur in the area where your wear your bun?

Also, you said the hair is breaking at the root. Is it shedding then? Or breakage at the demarcation line?

tasha

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank for responding girl

Well, I current do not wear protective styles (shame on me
) I wash my hair once a week (using any shampoo, KeraCare Humecto or Nexxus Humectress, KereCare Leave-in, (sometime Mizani Styling Mousse for body)and do a rollerset and dry it under a hooded dryer.

I usually wrap my hair 4 nights out the week and sleep with a bun for the other nights.

I relax every 8 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both rollersets and wearing buns can cause breakage because of the friction with the ponytail holder and the roller against your new growth and hair shaft. It is important to use the smooth rollers when you do rollersets and a silk scrunchie (or something just as hair friendly) when you wear a bun. Sleeping in a bun (if using a scrunchine or other type of ponytail holder) could be causing the breakage with the tossing and turning at night along with wearing it in the same posistion over a period of time.
Just my 2 cents.....

iCandey

i am experiencing this problem, its finally getting better, the culprit says my derm was scalp infection. is your middle tender or sore/tight?

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
Does your breakage occur in the area where your wear your bun?

Also, you said the hair is breaking at the root. Is it shedding then? Or breakage at the demarcation line?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not shedding. It seems to be breaking at the demarcation.

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
iCandey said:
i am experiencing this problem, its finally getting better, the culprit says my derm was scalp infection. is your middle tender or sore/tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Girlllll, the middle always itches like crazy.

L.Mo.

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... could be an infection. I'd have a doc examine your scalp in that area.

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
L.Mo. said:
[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... could be an infection. I'd have a doc examine your scalp in that area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there any other symtoms of a scalp infection besides itching?

iCandey

yeh itching (mine was too) I would definitely take the time to get checked...is the hair there growing in courser? my scalp was sooooooo tight it was horrible, the doc said that was inflamation, bumps are also another sign

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
iCandey said:
yeh itching (mine was too) I would definitely take the time to get checked...is the hair there growing in courser? my scalp was sooooooo tight it was horrible, the doc said that was inflamation, bumps are also another sign

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

Nice

what are the culprits behind a scalp infection? B/C I feel that I have very good hygiene.

Neen

WOW Nice, I had the same problem and no one ever knew what it was. It would break right at the demarcation line and just started out of no where when I was 18, a few months after my son was born (I'm 24 now). It didn't stop until I went natural. My scalp in the middle would itch ALL THE TIME. I just went back to a relaxer (or texturizer, whatever) and I am so scared this will happen again. I wonder what causes (and prevents!) a scalp infection and what is it about going natural that heals it. Any thoughts would be helpful to me.

beana3

iCandy and L. Mo, I think i may have a scalp infection!!! My crown has always been sore, but the past few weeks have been hectic. This intense soreness started after i changed relaxers, i used Vitale for my last relaxer and ever since then my scalp has been sore to the touch, itchy and the hair is EXTRA course in that area.

i Candey what causes a scalp infection??? I wash my hair every few days and have good overall hygiene. Is it something internal?? TIA

iCandey

well any infection is due to germs and somehow chemical services have something to do with scalp infections bc my doctor said it was caused by chemicals...my guess to the correlation is that the chemical service damaged my scalp skin or somehow made my scalp prone to germs ..your skin is a natural barrier but I imagine that relaxers can break it down somewhat (so base well)....IF your Scalp is Sore at the moment go to the doctor right away (imo)..that means inflamation (active infection)and you could need antibiotics...my soreness went away on its own but i still have a few bumps and i use this bump and scalp relief...I also did tea tree oil a couple of times as a preshampo treatment..(its important to disenfect)....I hope this helps i dont want anyone to go thru this - its horrible ...also is the courser hair that scab hair I read about here on LHCF?

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
Neen said:
WOW Nice, I had the same problem and no one ever knew what it was. It would break right at the demarcation line and just started out of no where when I was 18, a few months after my son was born (I'm 24 now). It didn't stop until I went natural. My scalp in the middle would itch ALL THE TIME. I just went back to a relaxer (or texturizer, whatever) and I am so scared this will happen again. I wonder what causes (and prevents!) a scalp infection and what is it about going natural that heals it. Any thoughts would be helpful to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neen, I also have had this problem for years. During 2003 after cutting off most for my hair to give the middle a chance to catch up I thought that I was finally rid of the problem. I am so frustrated right now. I feel like I will never trully acheived long healthy hair.

BTW, what type and strenght relaxer do you use?

Neen

This last time I used optimum care and it seems to be doing okay. Prior to the natural stint I was seeing a beautician who used regular Affirm. I saw another lady too and she used Fabulaxer. I think maybe the Affirm may be the problem though since that's what I was using when the breakage occured. She never based my scalp so that may have been an issue as well. HMMMM
I never thought about that.

Nice

Ladies, I just wanted to give am update. I think that a major contribution to the breakage that I have been having was the wrapping with a brush with my weekly wash and sets.

I have decided to insist that my stylist use a wide tooth comb to wrap my hair after my wash-n-sets.

I will give an update a couple of months from now.

Aspasia

Well the first time I used optimum care just for the front of my head, my hair looked great. Then I used it again for half the time and my hear began to break off like crazy and thier was the itching factor. More so in the back which is where I used the OC to loosen my course hair in just the crown, most all broke off.

I'm wondering if the Ayervedic methods I'm pursuing like Brahmi oil, and Dabur coconut, in addition to the powders/masks will heal and disinfect the scalp--

This last time I used optimum care and it seems to be doing okay. Prior to the natural stint I was seeing a beautician who used regular Affirm. I saw another lady too and she used Fabulaxer. I think maybe the Affirm may be the problem though since that's what I was using when the breakage occured. She never based my scalp so that may have been an issue as well. HMMMM
I never thought about that.

BostonMaria

Oh wow this original post is from 2004!

Well if it helps anybody reading it now... I found some hairs in the middle breaking and I realized I was wearing too many tight ponytails. I now make them looser and alternate the location of the ponytail.

vkb247

My hair used to break in the middle because my hair is coarser and less dense there. It requires extra careful detangling and extra moisture too thrive.

My hairdresser used to say that she had lots of clients with this problem and she couldn't figure out why. I figured out why after a day on hair boards. I also figured out that a lot of hairstylists have seriously limited knowledge about hair and I was better of doing my own hair.