Looking for Protective Style for the Spring

GraceJones

I'm a new natural that has been hiding my hair. Partly because it's too short to really do anything, and also because I want to retain length. I want an easy, protective style that looks cute and I don't have to mess with too much

I don't want box braids (too long to put in/take out)
I don't really want to wear a weave because I don't want any leave-out

I have a straight wig with bangs but I'm really tired of it now. I would try a synthetic wig that matched my curl pattern but many of them rarely do. I'm a 4C and I have CretaGirl but that does not match my curl pattern at all, nor do I want to use hot tools to make it that way

What do you guys think?

prettybyrd

What about crochet braids? If your hair is long enough to braid you can get a crochet style.

Just a thought, but if you have short hair - like above neck length - as long as you tie your hair up at night you should be able to wear your hair out as you please. I always wore my TWA - NL hair out with no problems. The problems for me started once I got to SL and didn't mind my ends.

krissyhair

You might think I sound crazy. But I saw a woman who looked so elegant with her twa in chunky twists. She had very thick hair, which I think made the style look even better. If I had her type of thick, short hair, I'd try that as a protective style.

ladybug71

I have had crochet braids in now for about 5 weeks. I love them and think they are super cute and easy. Since I've gone natural, I've had 2 sew-ins, worn wigs and now in crochet braids. I love that they are not as heavy as weaves and having easier scalp access while still protective styling.

Fhrizzball

I have had crochet braids in now for about 5 weeks. I love them and think they are super cute and easy. Since I've gone natural, I've had 2 sew-ins, worn wigs and now in crochet braids. I love that they are not as heavy as weaves and having easier scalp access while still protective styling.

ladybug71

What braid pattern do you use for your crochet braids? I'm thinking of making that my spring or summer hairstyle once I learn how to cornrow properly.

GraceJones

Does anyone know what hair is used here?

I would do twistouts on my hair but I don't feel like messing with it everyday. I just want to get up and go out the door. I don't want to bother with twisting and untwisting at night. I'm also shy about my hair being short, so I'm growing it out a little bit. It's about 8 inches stretched now

Any other easy protective style ideas?

Last edited:

ladybug71

ladybug71

What braid pattern do you use for your crochet braids? I'm thinking of making that my spring or summer hairstyle once I learn how to cornrow properly.

Fhrizzball

I got my hair braided with the braids going down the sides, basically not going backwards. ;) similar to the pic below. I can't cornrow well either so I had a braider at salon do. I think crochets will be my go-to style for summer as well.

Last edited: