Loosened my curls with Baking Soda

washize

So I was reading about baking soda being a natural texturizer, but I noticed that allot of the directions called for a tablespoon or so of baking soda. I used a whole box, and made a paste out of it with a little bit of water. I hardly had any breakage, and my hair is super soft. I didn't take any before pictures, because I didn't think it would work, but here are some old pictures that I used in my Dax post. The first picture is before and the second one is the after. Its not a major diffrence, but my hair is hanging down instead of sticking out.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 241

MzK

You just put the 'paste' in your hair-and nothing else? Is this like, a DC or something??

(actually considering doing this...my hair sticks "out" and not down...)

Thanks! :D

FroFab

Great outcome, but I'd be careful about using so much because baking soda has a high alkalinity and you don't won't to throw off the chemisty of your hair follicles and cause damage.

Maybe some of the resident science ladies can chime in.

washize

You just put the 'paste' in your hair-and nothing else? Is this like, a DC or something??

(actually considering doing this...my hair sticks "out" and not down...)

Thanks! :D

No I didn't use anything but baking soda and water. No it is not a DC.

I had in three day old french twists, I took them out one at a time and applied the baking soda paste. and I just worked it in, and let it hang for a few hours. I did section some of my hair off in Ponytails because I wanted my roots to be streched too. It really looks like the Baking soda freezed the curls of my french twists, it was extremely heavy too.

Gigi-07

Cool results, and to piggyback off of what FroFab said, be careful with the alkalinity. I would find a way to neutralize your hair in some way (ACV, neut. shampoo?). What you've done is like a temporary, mild relaxer, but it can be damaging in the long run if you don't treat it as such.

washize

Cool results, and to piggyback off of what FroFab said, be careful with the alkalinity. I would find a way to neutralize your hair in some way (ACV, neut. shampoo?). What you've done is like a temporary, mild relaxer, but it can be damaging in the long run if you don't treat it as such.

Thanx, but I don't plan on doing this often, I just wanted to see if it would work. I'm wearing a wig pretty much for the rest of the year, so my hair will be in french twists most of the time. This will be a nice break to have from my hair maybe twice a year once I'm ready to show off my hair again. :yep:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I had what I thought was a good result, but now my curls in the front are gone and some parts are also gone.:blush: Not doing it, ever again!:nono:

choctaw

I have used baking soda in varying amounts (1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon) in 6 cups warm water and rinsed hair, working it from scalp to nape. Hair is clean, coils form and I rinse it out under shower. It opens the cuticle and I do oil rinses, protein treatment or apply conditioner. I always finish baking soda method with apple cider vinegar to close cuticles. I have done this several times in past few months. ACV increases curls and feels like a conditioner. No change in curl pattern, dryness noted. Also no tangles, knots produced using this method.

silenttullip

I love the look but WOOOOOOW a box of baking soda... but shoot if it works for u rock it but you know you can get that same look with a twistout or tightlycurly method? I mean I love the look but baking soda and my hair has always scared me. I already messed up as a teen washing with acv alone trying to take away my perm and it totally threw off my ph so I'm frightened when it comes to using a large amount of vinegar or baking soda and especially after kimmaytube's vid.