"Love Becomes Me"

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Tonight as I was sitting quietly thinking about washing my hair and what to wear for work tomorrow, the Lord gently spoke to my heart..."Love Becomes You."

Then I began to think about how each day, I put so much thought in what clothing I'm going to wear and what to do with my hair.

I realized the following:

No matter how lovely I am able to wear my hair, or how long it has grown, it doesn't become me without love.

In my wardrobe are beautiful Indian Saris; fabrics of silks, sheers, some are embedded with tiny crystals and the colors are beyond one's imagination. They drape my form with a gentle caress...indeed I feel and look like a princess, Yet, without love, they don't become me.

In Dance I can flow with the rhythm and melodies of music of many genres; from graceful moves as soft as a whisper, to the heritage and cultures of African, Hawaiian, and Middle Eastern drums; though I strive to give my best. Yet without love, I lay this all to rest; none of this, becomes me.

As Black women, we have the wonderful advantage of wearing beautiful colors and they 'become us'. No matter what shades of brown we are, we have the gift of wearing colors that become us...flatter our design.

The color red blends so well with me that many say, it 'becomes me.' Yet strangely, I am attracted to the soft, delicate colors of 'blue'... a color of peace.

Perhaps the color Blue is calling out to me; asking my heart to subdue. Instead of Red, take heed to what God has said, "Love Becomes You." ;)

pebbles

Shimmie said:
Tonight as I was sitting quietly thinking about washing my hair and what to wear for work tomorrow, the Lord gently spoke to my heart..."Love Becomes You."

Then I began to think about how each day, I put so much thought in what clothing I'm going to wear and what to do with my hair.

I realized the following:

No matter how lovely I am able to wear my hair, or how long it has grown, it doesn't become me without love.

In my wardrobe are beautiful Indian Saris; fabrics of silks, sheers, some are embedded with tiny crystals and the colors are beyond one's imagination. They drape my form with a gentle caress...indeed I feel and look like a princess, Yet, without love, they don't become me.

In Dance I can flow with the rhythm and melodies of music of many genres; from graceful moves as soft as a whisper, to the heritage and cultures of African, Hawaiian, and Middle Eastern drums; though I strive to give my best. Yet without love, I lay this all to rest; none of this, becomes me.

As Black women, we have the wonderful advantage of wearing beautiful colors and they 'become us'. No matter what shades of brown we are, we have the gift of wearing colors that become us...flatter our design.

The color red blends so well with me that many say, it 'becomes me.' Yet strangely, I am attracted to the soft, delicate colors of 'blue'... a color of peace.

Perhaps the color Blue is calling out to me; asking my heart to subdue. Instead of Red, take heed to what God has said, "Love Becomes You." ;)

That was nice, Shimmie! Yes, love becomes me! :D

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:
That was nice, Shimmie! Yes, love becomes me! :D
You know what Pebs? I was under serious conviction last night, by the Holy Spirit. Yet, He was so loving. Look at this word...

"Let's take a good look at the way we're living and reorder our lives under God." Lamentations 3:40 The Message

Pebs, as women, we 'stress' over the outward appearance of ourselves far too much. And ALL are guilty of this. I go to the extremes of 'modesty' so that I don't appear too worldly, to the extremes of not caring what anyone thinks. I stand guilty on all counts.

But no matter what I place upon this body of mine, what is it that I have inside that makes the real difference? What becomes me?

Pebs, in dancing, I can literally float to the floor and caress the air as though it were a human life...Yet whom in life form, do I caress in the same tender manner, through my words...my deeds...my thoughts...my touch or embrace? Whom do I caress, yet so softly?

My focus has been too detailed upon those things which matter not. Activities that have kept me far too busy, and far away from love.

Out of all of what I choose to do in this life my driving force must be love. As I put upon the Armour of God (Ephesians 6), I dress myself in love, for as our Father God has noticed, "Love Becomes me..." ;)

You see, His took away my garments stained of crimson, my garments of fiflthy rags, and placed His love around me, His garment of salvation. Without it, I am so unbecoming...yet He covers me still and places a banner which proclaims, "His banner over me is Love..."

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his Banner over me was love.
Song of Solomon 2:4
I love you, my sister Pebs.... :kiss:

His love becomes you....;)

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
From the word of God...

I Corinthians 13

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not Love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not Love, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not Love, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Love, suffereth long, and is kind; Love, envieth not; Love,vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, Love, these three; but the greatest of these is Love.

To you now reading....

"I love you...." ;) "

Yes, Love Becomes You..." You look beautiful covered in love... ;)

Last edited:

pbuckley

Once again thank you. This made so much sense to me and it coincides to what you were speaking to me in the last thread. Thanks.

Shimmie

Staff member
pbuckley said:
Once again thank you. This made so much sense to me and it coincides to what you were speaking to me in the last thread. Thanks.
God is dealing with me about the things I have placed so much of my focus upon. I've been too focused on the external me....

It's too easy to get caught up in our goals and activities and we forget to see someone else who needs our love.

cocoberry10

Shimmie, at first this went over my head (I admit). I knew if you wrote it, it had to be good and mean something important.

However, after another reading (or two :lol: ), I think I "get it" and understand what you are saying.

I think you are saying that all things we do should be done in love and that love should be our focus for all things (and we should operate in love) because God is love.

If I've missed something, please enlighten me! :)

pebbles

Shimmie said:
You know what Pebs? I was under serious conviction last night, by the Holy Spirit. Yet, He was so loving. Look at this word...

"Let's take a good look at the way we're living and reorder our lives under God." Lamentations 3:40 The Message

Pebs, as women, we 'stress' over the outward appearance of ourselves far too much. And ALL are guilty of this. I go to the extremes of 'modesty' so that I don't appear too worldly, to the extremes of not caring what anyone thinks. I stand guilty on all counts.

But no matter what I place upon this body of mine, what is it that I have inside that makes the real difference? What becomes me?

Pebs, in dancing, I can literally float to the floor and caress the air as though it were a human life...Yet whom in life form, do I caress in the same tender manner, through my words...my deeds...my thoughts...my touch or embrace? Whom do I caress, yet so softly?

My focus has been too detailed upon those things which matter not. Activities that have kept me far too busy, and far away from love.

Out of all of what I choose to do in this life my driving force must be love. As I put upon the Armour of God (Ephesians 6), I dress myself in love, for as our Father God has noticed, "Love Becomes me..." ;)

You see, His took away my garments stained of crimson, my garments of fiflthy rags, and placed His love around me, His garment of salvation. Without it, I am so unbecoming...yet He covers me still and places a banner which proclaims, "His banner over me is Love..."

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his Banner over me was love.
Song of Solomon 2:4
I love you, my sister Pebs.... :kiss:

His love becomes you....;)

Thank-you, shimmie. I needed to read that. You know I did! I love you too, sis!! :kiss:

Shimmie

Staff member
cocoberry10 said:
Shimmie, at first this went over my head (I admit). I knew if you wrote it, it had to be good and mean something important.

However, after another reading (or two :lol: ), I think I "get it" and understand what you are saying.

I think you are saying that all things we do should be done in love and that love should be our focus for all things (and we should operate in love) because God is love.

If I've missed something, please enlighten me! :)

You read right. Has anyone ever said to you, "That dress becomes you." or That color becomes you...that hairstyle becomes you. Meaning that this dress was made for you; or that hairstyle really makes you look good; that color is perfect for you, it becomes you.

God has been dealing with me. I was feeling happy about my hair really growing and I've been doing great in my classes...things that are in my life right now as 'important'. I've always dreamed of having a wardrobe full of cultural clothing. All of these things which I thought made me look better. Things that I thought 'became me.'

But God spoke to me..."Love becomes you." Meaning that love makes me attractive. It's love instead, that makes me beautiful.

None of these things that I thought would make me feel special or attractive, mean anything compared to love. The long hair, the clothes, the dancing, do not make me attractive; He was letting me know that 'Love does.' His love upon me and the love that I show to others.

I need to put my first post on tape; it's hard to catch how I'm saying 'Love becomes you" as one reads it.

I"m sorry for confusing anyone. God is just dealing with me on priorities.

Precious_1

Shimmie said:
God is dealing with me about the things I have placed so much of my focus upon. I've been too focused on the external me....

It's too easy to get caught up in our goals and activities and we forget to see someone else who needs our love.

I am so glad I read your thread shimmie, thank you so much, I believe god lead me right here to read this for a reason. I too, have been placing way to much focus upon my external features, when i believe they are not right and are ugly, i have noticed that i tend to behave in the same manner. So with that said, I think god took notice and wanted to intervene, thus leading me to this thread..Love becomes me. Thank you.

Shimmie

Staff member
Precious_1 said:
I am so glad I read your thread shimmie, thank you so much, I believe god lead me right here to read this for a reason. I too, have been placing way to much focus upon my external features, when i believe they are not right and are ugly, i have noticed that i tend to behave in the same manner. So with that said, I think god took notice and wanted to intervene, thus leading me to this thread..Love becomes me. Thank you.
I'm so glad you were blessed. And Patient 1, you are beautiful.

The holidays is when I really get 'caught' up in how I look and what I wear. The parties, dinners, gatherings, meeting people we haven't seen in a while. We always want to look our best and I always want to look 'better' than when my friends last saw me.

But God has a greater purpose for me when I see these people again. His love has to seen above all of the 'fixings' I do as a woman. I've been spending too much time 'stressing' over my 'dressing' and caring for my hair, (I've been on the 'Hiding My Hair until Christmas' Challenge).

Every week, I'm checking my growth progress and I've been so absorbed in my progress, thinking I was 'complete' and becoming....'Becoming'. When all awhile, all I need to wear are garments of love..."Loves Becomes Me', instead.

It's not a sin to improve our looks, skills and wardrobe, but it's a sin to feel secure in them or make them a priority over the Love of God.

This is where the Lord reached me....my hair, clothing, etc., my focus was all in this word below.

I Peter 3: 3, 4:

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the HAIR, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:
Thank-you, shimmie. I needed to read that. You know I did! I love you too, sis!! :kiss:

You're my angel. :yep:

I'm growing up, Pebs. Your 'sister' Shimmie, is growing up. Your faith and love is one of the strengths that are helping me stay strong. ;)

Shimmie

Staff member
A Song by Stevie Wonder..."These Three Words"

Chorus: "These three words, that say, "I Love You."

The Words:

When was the last time
That they heard you say
Mother or father, I love you
And when was the last time
That they heard you say
Daughter or son, I love you

Ones you say you cherish everyday
Can instantly be taken away
Then you'd say I know this can't be true
When you never took the time
To simply tell them "I love you"

When was the last time
That they heard you say
Sister or brother, I love you
And when was the last time
That they heard you say

Darling or best friend, I love you

The one for whom you'd give your very life
Could be taken in the twinkling of an eye
Through your tears you'd ask why did you go
Knowing you didn't always show
Just how much you loved them so

__________________-

Wives, don't be angry with your husbands today. 'Love them, anyway.' You'll get it right back from them, no matter what he didn't say...or do that you wanted him to.

Love him...today.