Love my new hair gadget...handheld dryer

Fine 4s

Hey ladies,

I decided to blowdry my hair with my new hand held (with a comb) gold 'n' hot last night. It's usually painful for me to get my hair blowdried at the salon with thepaddle brush. Now I can do it myself and just go to the salong for my trim. I straightened the whole thing in less than 1 hour (big deal for me.)

Here was my process last night after not washing for 3+ weeks.

1.Wash (completely skipped any pre-pooing with coconut oil or the like.)
with Aveda Damage Remedy followed by VO5 moisture milks to start the detangling process.
2.Apply Mizani moisture fuse and sit under dryer for 20 mns.
3.Rinse and continue the detangling process.
4.Apply leave-in cream (some cream I bought for my face that I'm trying to use up) followed by IC heat protector on each section prior to blow drying.
5.Use larger teeth followed by smaller teeth to blowdry. I did not use the brush.

I have a few questions though:

1. How often do you use this dryer? I plan on using every 2-3 weeks after washing.
2. I use it on high, hot heat. Is that ok?
3. Some people suggested that plastic combs that come as attachments to the dryer are not good to use because the plastic will rip the hair (breakage.) What's your experience with the comb?
4. What's the purpose of the cold blast button on the dryer? Do you use it and why?
5. How do you get your ends straight? My ends are still curly/kinky.
6. My hair felt dry while I blowdried. Is it because of the quality of the blow dryer. I remember having a discussion on LHCF about how different blowdryers give different results. Perhaps I can find a better blowdryer but still a handheld?

Loved how painless and quick this was. The results looked just like my siggy. Nothing new...

Thank you ladies!

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Fine 4s

Here's a picture...1600 watts.
If I can find a better one, I'll return this one.

Attachments

• gold-n-hot-1600-watt-styler-dryer.jpg
    gold-n-hot-1600-watt-styler-dryer.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 47

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Sylver2 and Fgrogran use Conair blowdryers
Sylver2 said in her Fotki she prefers her Conair Ionic shine 1850

check out this video fo fgrogran using her blowdryer:
YouTube - fgrogan's Channel
she told me she used the Conair 1875. She also told me she found it at Walgreens

I personally dont think you should use such high heat, this is what could be causing your hair to feel rough on the ends. I would allow to dry a bit (about 80%) in a stretched out state and then blow the ends first and then work my way up with warm air (keep the hair in one direction facing down to allow the cuticle to dry nice and smooth).

Fine 4s

Sylver2 and Fgrogran use Conair blowdryers
Sylver2 said in her Fotki she prefers her Conair Ionic shine 1850

check out this video fo fgrogran using her blowdryer:
YouTube - fgrogan's Channel
she told me she used the Conair 1875. She also told me she found it at Walgreens

I personally dont think you should use such high heat, this is what could be causing your hair to feel rough on the ends. I would allow to dry a bit (about 80%) in a stretched out state and then blow the ends first and then work my way up with warm air (keep the hair in one direction facing down to allow the cuticle to dry nice and smooth).

I'll have to look into this dryer just because the # of watts is higher and it has the word 'ionic' whatever that means LOL I'll check out Walgreens too.

Today (even after the process was over) it feels soft but when I was drying it, meaning when it first started to dry, it seemed too dry IMO. I'm not used to blowdrying often and mostly use to damp 4 something natural hair with a creamy leave-in so perhaps it was a perception issue dunno.
I did start at the ends and kept the hair taught before inserting the comb. It's not bad looking but I wondered if there was some technique that could make the ends smooth. Maybe if I used the brush which I can't bring myself to do.
I'll try it on a lower setting as you suggested. But I'd like for it to come out as straight as this time. We'll see when I do it again around Xmas time.

^^^Fine4s, do you feel like it works better than a regular blow dryer?

I never blowdryed my hair myself so I can't really answer that. However, it came out just as straight. I to the salon to do it b/c I usually get a trim when I blowdry. All I know is that I started to blow dry my hair myself with a regular blowdryer and it was a nightmare! This process was soooooooooooo simple and easy. I was just combing my hair. Just fabulous! I'm mainly worried about the comb teeth snaggin' and rippin' out the hair.

However, this coming year I'd like to care for my hair differently perhaps use some weaves like Ediese or cornrow more like longhairdontcare. Hopefully I can retain more and finally get to full WL hair should I dare dream for HL!

Fhrizzball

I hear angling the blow dryer downwards towards your end while you blow dry helps the cuticles not be so rough causing for a smoother thereby softer blow dry. Also ending with a cold shot helps seal cuticles so that helps prevent breakage and all that jazz that blow drying with hot hair does as that could raise your cuticles a bit.

virtuenow

You should try the blowdry tension method. That gets my ends alot more straight than using a comb attachment. Plus u don't have to worry about the comb or paddle ripping your hair out. I always use hight heat and blowdry consistenly once per month w/no problems. I have very thick hair and the tension method gets you more stretch (eventhough I didn't think it would work on my natural thick 4b hair). By the way, do u have pics of your blowdried hair; would love to see the results.

Fine 4s

There are pics in my Fotki and my siggy is a twist and curl on blowdried hair.
If I only use the tension method, then I don't need the new blowdryer I got.
I remember using the tension method in the past but hmmmm...I don't remember being pleased with the results.....

ms.blue

My blow dryer is similar to the one you are using but its the andis ceramic. I prefer this style over the regular one b/c I have better control. I use medium heat b/c I'm afraid of burning my hair also I use the cool shot button to seal the cuticles down.

30something

Cold shot suppose to seal cuticles giving a nice sleek finish but honestly it depends on the drier, I know some dries cold shot is just really low heat.

Your hair looks so healthy!