Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2015/2016

Ebonybunny

I changed my regi. I've been doing the MHM method and just started doing my hair every 3 days. I'm finally starting to see it payoff. I was able to wear two strand twist last week without them drying out.

I want to try the MHM , should I wait until I take my senegalese twists out? I never feel like product is affecting my hair as much as it should/could be in them.:drunk:

faithVA

I want to try the MHM , should I wait until I take my senegalese twists out? I never feel like product is affecting my hair as much as it should/could be in them.:drunk:

Yes definitely wait until you are out of your twists and then give yourself a good wash, DC and protein treatment (if you use protein), before starting.

faithVA

[USER=259402 said:
greenandchic[/USER];21104809]faithVA I think I'm late to the party but what is MHM?

It's the Maximum Hydration Method defined by AketaFitGirl/PinkeCube. Its a modified version of the curly girl method.

Dee Raven

Great post Dee Raven, thanks!

I'm not sure if my shedding has increased dramatically the last few months or if it's bc the hairs are longer; last night I was LOC and I just passed my hand over one side of my hair and a TON of hair... but when I counted there were only 3 hairs.Either way I'm not comfortable with the size of the shed hair balls, was thinking of starting to use shampoo again but ONLY on my scalp, maybe the the follicles are clogged from months of no poo and it's making me shed lots.

The PM TT Poo sounds wonderful, I might incorporate this 1x monthly scalp only if I can find it.

claud-uk, yes, I definitely think it's worth a try. And the great thing is, I don't know where you're located but there are trial sizes. I paid 6 bucks, and I'll probably get 10 washes out of it.

toaster

I couldn't find my Pantene dc for a few weeks so I was trying all different kinds of drugstore dcs. Nope. Never again. All silicones are not the same. I found 1 tub of Pantene at Walmart and 2 at target. I may stock up on Amazon. My hair was so easy to detangle (and very minimal breakage) but with those other conditioners my comb was having a rough time. I was so bummed I stopped posting for a bit.

It's sad how hair products have such control over my life. Tonight when I twisted I slathered my ends in shea butter to apologize.

faithVA

My ends are getting better. I'm finding fewer and fewer splits. And in my crown, there is only a small section that seems to still need some extra loving tender care. Looks like I may have luscious healthy ends by the summer.

claud-uk

Quick update: washed yesterday.

Started with coconut oil all over, then ORS Replenenishing Con pre-poo on top for 45 mins, focusing mainly on the ends.

Cleansed with Palmers Olive oil cowash, 2x.

Sunflower oil rinse (in future going to do 1:1 sunflower and EVOO)

Aunt Jackies Super Sassy Conditioner.

African Pride LI, sealed with a little almond oil.

Dee Raven - thanks sis! gee that PM TT ain't cheap however it gets GREAT reviews. I found a 2.5oz bottle online for £4.25 / $6.55 (I'm in the UK) but thats even more than I currently pay for my 16oz cleanser!

I think I'll take a pass until my situation allows and maybe just add some TT EO to what I already use :ohwell: It's definitely on my wishlist though, it's my 40th in a few months so I will splash out then!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am going to take a break from heat for a few weeks. I got a new wig. Now I can baby my ends and go hard in the gym without looking homeless :lol:

Last edited:

Pennefeather

After I relax on Monday, I'm going to do a light trim on the back of my hair. It's so incredibly uneven. I haven't trimmed it since may or June of last year. Unfortunately, I have had a set back a few months ago, so I don't believe that I will have a lot of new growth to show.

faithVA

Decided to give myself a protein treatment. Hopefully it strengthens my ends and gets me through March. I may dust a bit in March.

MzOptimistic

Checking in~ My ends are doing wonderful. My ends are becoming even and thick. I've managed to also stretch past my usual stretch which is at 12 weeks. I'm currently at almost 13 weeks post and have a ton of newgrowth but I think with the help of moisturizing my hair and ends with grape seed oil and aussie 3 minute moist <~~~~~:lick::lick: along with other things, my hair is doing wonderful.

faithVA

I'm trying out 2 strands again after giving them a break for a while. Tonight I'm going to try to moisturize them and get them to hold out through Friday and where a twist out Friday. If it works out, I may alternate 2 strand and flat twist. :crossfingers:

Dee Raven

I did something this weekend that I haven't done in ages. I didn't deep condition. Oh my. I went to LA this past weekend and I needed to quickly wash n go, and leave, so I didn't have time to do my usual routine. But it got me to thinking, maybe I can cut back on how often I deep condition. I'm going to start trying every other week instead of every week. I was literally able to shower, wash my hair and style in an hour. That's so short. I love it. I also figured out a way to washngo more quickly which is great. I will of course be paying extra close attention to my hair with this change. But ideally I would like to get to know my hair well enough to be able to recognize when it needs deep conditioning, protein, moisture, without having to do it all the time. This is a very spoiled head of hair I've got, and I don't think it needs as much time and attention as I've been giving to it.

Dee Raven

Checking in~ My ends are doing wonderful. My ends are becoming even and thick. I've managed to also stretch past my usual stretch which is at 12 weeks. I'm currently at almost 13 weeks post and have a ton of newgrowth but I think with the help of moisturizing my hair and ends with grape seed oil and aussie 3 minute moist <~~~~~:lick::lick: along with other things, my hair is doing wonderful.

I want to second the shout out to Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle. I've been detangling my ends with it in the shower to prevent ssks for the last few weeks and it is awesome. Whatever is in it gives slip and causes expansion between the strands so that you can fingercomb or comb through them without them getting tangled with each other. This weekend as I was rushing to do my hair, I finger detangled my whole head with it in maybe 5 minutes and I have TBL tightly coily hair. Just make sure your hair is sopping wet when you apply. And it takes very little product (I used one squeeze per side) and the product is only 4 dollars.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I trimmed about 1/2 inch from each braid after I moisturized with Hello Hydration. After the trim I sealed my ends with argan oil.

Anyone else trim in twists or braids? I usually trim straight hair so I'm a bit nervous... I hope my ends are even.

PlainJane

I've failed miserably at this challenge :nono: but I'm rejoining. I had to cut off some damaged ends this week so this will give me a fresh start. I have about 10 months left until the end of my transition so I can't afford anymore damage.

toaster

Prettymetty I have trimmed with my hair in twists before! I don't usually wear my hair straight so I wasn't that concerned with the evenness of my hair. And I will say that when I got my hair straightened it was pretty even, but that may have been pure luck.

maxineshaw

I finally cut my ends (instead of just saying that I will). My hair feels so much better. In some places I cut half an inch. In others an inch and a half. I had no many knots in my hair it was ridiculous.

I have been using a combination of Burdock Root Butter Cream and OHHB to moisturize and protect my ends. Initially I was going to replace the OHHB with EVOO, but I think my hair likes the balm better than straight oil. My hair stays softer longer. After a while, it feels a bit hard with straight up oil. IDK why...

Pennefeather

I've failed miserably at this challenge :nono: but I'm rejoining. I had to cut off some damaged ends this week so this will give me a fresh start. I have about 10 months left until the end of my transition so I can't afford anymore damage.

PlainJane,

I don't think that trimming your hair means you have failed. Sometimes you really need a trim.

I cut my hair for the fist time in 9 months last weekend. Due to previous damage, it was extremely uneven. I had "tails" because my hair was long on the sides and shorter in the middle. I cut off three inches off the sides to make it more even. Since I've done this I've noticed that my hair doesn't catch in the ponytail holder that I use for bunning because I no longer have the thin scraggly ends.

I hate cutting my hair, but I know that I made the right decision, and I'm looking forward to it growing out thicker.

claud-uk

Quick update: Did a S&D yesterday and the day before, mainly took off 0.5" but some strands were 2-3" long where they had split so far from the end of the shaft.

Still don't have new scissors yet, waiting till I get paid next week, still don't have my protein/moisture balance down, still don't have true staples... exactly 3 years into my hhj I feel like I'm "playing" at this hair thing but at least I am (still) committed, that's about the only thing in my favour. And I'm gaining length slow but steady. But I'm still despondent, I feel I ought to "know" my hair so much better than I do after being on this journey so long. SPEAK LOUDER SHIRLEY, mummy's trying but she can't hear you!

ETA I bought some EV Avocado oil, my hair loves this, I will start using it to seal as my regular oils have been making my hair feel crunchy recently.

Last edited:

LivingInPeace

I've worn my hair pinned up for the past week. I haven't moisturized since my last wash and my hair still feels very soft. I've been thinking about flat ironing my hair to see the length. But I'm scurred!