Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2015/2016

Royalq

I constantly have 2 inches of ends that are have midshaft splits. No matter how much i trim its always thrlast 2 inches of my hair. Any idea what might be causing this?

Evolving78

I constantly have 2 inches of ends that are have midshaft splits. No matter how much i trim its always thrlast 2 inches of my hair. Any idea what might be causing this?
What are you doing? Sounds mechanical. Do you have color? Are u relaxed? What are you using to comb and style your hair with? And have you completely cut off what was needed to cut off? Like did you cut off 2 inches?

Aggie

I did a cowash this morning, moisturized and sealed my ends this morning now heading out to work in a few minutes.

faithVA

What are you doing? Sounds mechanical. Do you have color? Are u relaxed? What are you using to comb and style your hair with? And have you completely cut off what was needed to cut off? Like did you cut off 2 inches?
To add to the questions how often do you do a true prison treatment? How often are you washing and conditioning?

Royalq

Im natural, no color . I style with my fingers and detangle once a month with a paddle brush . I havent cut off thw 2 inches because i havent figured out whats causing it. I trim then it goes right back to being the last 2 inches. I would hate to cut 2 inches then it does back to the way it was . I lost alot of length last year from trimming

Evolving78

Im natural, no color . I style with my fingers and detangle once a month with a paddle brush . I havent cut off thw 2 inches because i havent figured out whats causing it. I trim then it goes right back to being the last 2 inches. I would hate to cut 2 inches then it does back to the way it was . I lost alot of length last year from trimming
You gotta cut those 2 inches off. That's the only way to go. And get rid of the paddle brush. And detangle more than once a month with a wide toothed comb. How often do you shampoo, and deep condition your hair?

Royalq

You gotta cut those 2 inches off. That's the only way to go. And get rid of the paddle brush. And detangle more than once a month with a wide toothed comb. How often do you shampoo, and deep condition your hair?
:cry3:.
I shampoo once a month and dc every two weeks after cowashing. When i dont use my paddle brush i get alot of shed hairs. When im twisting i keep pulling out shed hairs.

Evolving78

I shampoo once a month and dc every two weeks after cowashing. When i dont use my paddle brush i get alot of shed hairs. When im twisting i keep pulling out shed hairs.
You need to shampoo and DC at least once a week, but two weeks at the most! And if you did that more, and detangled during wash day, or even when you cowash, you wouldn't need the paddle brush. I shed a lot, but I have a lot of hair anyway. I don't have thick hair, but I have a lot of strands, so it appears thick. So I understand the twisting and shedding.

faithVA

Do you use protein at all? I agree with you about figuring out the issue before cutting.

Try switching to a wide tooth comb over the paddle brush. If your hair is already distressed it can't take the stress of a paddle brush.

Aggie

^^^All very great suggestions for the split ends. I believe one of the chief thing to do to avoid so much damage is to manipulate the hair much less, in addition to the regular deep conditioning (especially protein treatments are very much needed to repair the hair maybe once a month).

Personally, I give myself a protein treatment once every 2-4 weeks and I believe it's a great contributor to my hair's overall improvement. Moisture moisture moisture. The ends are the oldest part of the hair and needs a lot of moisture sealed in a creamy/butter type sealant.

I don't do twists/twist-outs, because for my hair, that's too much manipulation especially since I can't get them to last longer than a day or two:nono:.

Royalq

Do you use protein at all? I agree with you about figuring out the issue before cutting.

Try switching to a wide tooth comb over the paddle brush. If your hair is already distressed it can't take the stress of a paddle brush.

I used to use protein but i stopped because i never noticed a difference in my hair. I used to use aphogee 2 step once every few months and maintain with the 2 minute.i used to use a wide tooth comb too but felt it wasnt doing a good job at removing shed hair because i kept pulling out long strands as i was styling.
@Royalq Great questions and advice given. I was going to ask how you were styling your hair and if you flat twist, or two strand twist by 'borrowing' from the separate sections. This can also increase the chance of damage.
Yes i borrow because i suck at splitting the hair evenly. As i go on usually one side is much skinnier than the other so i borrow to even them out. At my nape the hairs closer to the edge are shorter so it finishes before the other side, so i borrow from the longer one if i need to.

Royalq

What kind of wide tooth comb would you recommend? I used to buy any ole one from walmart.

faithVA

What kind of wide tooth comb would you recommend? I used to buy any ole one from walmart.
The Hercules sage magic rake combs are good. Catch them while they are on sale.

If you need to get one on the ground find what that says it's seamless. Sallys should have one.

I hear the Ouidad comb is good but it's also expensive.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I used Lait Vital on my ends today (a moisturizing rinse out conditioner) and spritzed them with water. I massaged a few drops of sulfur oil into my scalp abd wore a baggy for about 30 minutes. My ends are shiny and moisturized.

faithVA

Blow dried my hair and dusted my ends with my SplitEnder. Did a search and destroy for what the SplitEnder didn't get.

I guess my ends are improving but not really sure. I will keep dusting every two months and doing search and destroys until the end of the year. I plan to go to a salon at the end of the year and have them give me a trim and even my hair out.

Aggie

I have been moisturizing my hair everynight with CRN Aloe Whipped gel. I'm a little lazy now though so nothing tonight since tomorrow is wash and DC day.

Aggie

Today I exfoliated my scalp with Nioxin Scalp Renew

Shampooed with Redken Time Rest Shampoo (this shampoo has exfoliating properties in it) I felt a really good tingle on my scalp with these first two products.

I used semi permanent color in black for gray hair for the first time. I will see how well this works.

I will be oil rinsing with a coconut oil/aloe vera juice combo.

Deep conditioning with Hea Moisture Anti Breakage Strengthening Masque followed with Kerastase Chroma Riche Masque for moisture.

Leave in - Aunt Jackie's Quench

Moisturizing with CRN Aloe Whipped Butter gel and sealing with some natural butter/oil combo.

Royalq

So i bought some new things and im planning to baby my hair the way i did when i first BCd. I was cowashing daily alternating between a moisture and protein conditioner, moisturizing and sealing daily and protein treatment weekly. At this time i had no ssks. But my hair has gotten much longer, going from 2 inches to 16. it would take me much longer. And how will i style it? Im thinking of letting go of my hope of doing twist outs because i cant get them to last more than a day. I might get into bunning afyer cowashing.i cant do wash n gos. Im going to trim off 1 inch sometime this week and start my new regimen.