Lycra Swim Caps

Leeda.the.Paladin

So I swim regularly and have a pretty solid routine down. It includes, among other things, putting conditioner on my hair beforehand and then putting on a swim cap. The swim cap, I've found, has to have a chin strap on it because the conditioner makes it too slippery, causing the cap to slip off my head during the swim. So far I've only tried latex and silicone caps. Both act the same.

I was looking at the lycra caps and was wondering if they stayed on better with all the conditioner? I am aware that they don't offer any protection against water (though as far as I'm concerned, neither do the other ones :rolleyes:) I've ordered one for XL large hair to try out.

Any experience with these?

I can keep doing what I'm doing because I swim about once a week (and was doing more a few months ago) and my hair is not suffering from it, but I would like to not have a chin strap on if possible.

Sondice

Hey :) As a former swimmer I would go with the lycra. With me, the rubber ones ripped out all my hair, the lycra is alot better. Also I bought like a cloth type cap too. Idk how to describe it, but it wasnt lycra and not the reg rubber, but it was like this water resistant fabric material. It was great! They should have them at Sports Authority, thats where I got mine ne way

Last edited:

Nonie

I wanna start swimming again, and since I prefer not to soak my whole head in chorinated water (I know the edges always get wet :rolleyes: ) I would wear the lycra cap under the rubber ones. I need to get seriously about returning to swimming so thanks for starting this thread coz you've inspired me to stop stalling and get a new cap since not knowing where my cap is...is becoming a tired excuse for not making time to go swimming.

MarieB

I'm curious about this, too. I don't swim regularly, but last year my sweetie bought an above ground pool that allows for about a 12' crawl across, or more going around, which is pretty much my de-stress/therapy in the summer months. I have a BKT so I have to be super-careful about chlorine and my hair. Initially, I slapped a bunch of conditioner on my hair before I jumped in (he bought the pool when we were in the middle of a heat wave, and I work construction, so this was like an oasis to me, after a hard, hot, sweaty day of work...contracters have to pay for electricity on most new-construction job sites, so they get really stingy about A.C., and the A.C. in my car is a joke, but it gets great gas mileage, and has carried me for more miles than I like to think about). I bought a Speedo Lycra (I think) swim cap in August, but I have yet to use it because it looks and feels like something that will mess up my hair. When we set the pool up again this summer, I think I will condition the heck out of my hair and try it out...unless I hear otherwise from here.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I swim 2x a week and I just use a regular latex cap from the 99 cent store. I use coconut oil instead of conditioner and my cap stayes on very well. From what I have read the lycra one in xl is for people with alot of hair and it will not keep your head dry. You could try like another poster stated and put they lycra one on and then the lycra
My daughter uses the one with the strap and it works fairly well with keeping water out but her hair is braided and she wraps the long part around her head (think doobie). I tried the one with the strap and did not like it I felt constricted and wound up taking off the strap.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

I swim 2x a week and I just use a regular rubber cap from the 99 cent store. I use coconut oil instead of conditioner and my cap stayes on very well. From what I have read the lycra one in xl is for people with alot of hair and it will not keep your head dry. You could try like another poster stated and put they lycra one on and then the rubber one.

My daughter uses the one with the strap and it works fairly well with keeping water out but her hair is braided and she wraps the long part around her head (think doobie). I tried the one with the strap and did not like it I felt constricted and wound up taking off the strap.

Hope you find something that works for you.

I've tried an oil and it still slips off for me :(

I don't expect it to keep my hair dry as I've read it doesn't. I just want something that won't slip off with conditioner. I may try to layer them . I have two types with the straps and they both still allow a lot of water in.

As far as I'm concerned, all caps are worthless for keeping water out.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Are any swim caps able to hold ALOT of hair? I signed up for a swim class that starts in a few weeks. I was thinking of getting my hair braided in individuals since I know I'll be washing my hair almost every day. The braids are going to have to be long so I'm wondering if they'll all fit.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Are any swim caps able to hold ALOT of hair? I signed up for a swim class that starts in a few weeks. I was thinking of getting my hair braided in individuals since I know I'll be washing my hair almost every day. The braids are going to have to be long so I'm wondering if they'll all fit.

speedo makes some really big ones. A woman with bsl dreadlocs in my swim club wears one :yep:

Leeda.the.Paladin

Yes, I found an extra large swim cap that holds all of my hair, I have a lot and it's thick! Here's the link:

http://www.swimcapsbyfran.com/