Quick ? - Do swimming caps keep your hair 100% dry?

fluffylocks

Im about to start swim lessons 3x a week:rolleyes:
Usually only wash 1x a week because of all the manipulation i do with washing, so i was just wondering if it was going to be safe to continue and do that and just wear a swim cap or if i should go ahead and put conditoner on before lessons, a cap, and wash when i get home.

If I can get 2 around my big head i'll do that also. Might even try to put a plastic shower/proccesing cap, then 2 swim caps...:nono:

Actually - it's recommended that you soak your hair in reg water and slick it into a bun or braid then put your cap on top. Sometimes pool water will get in - but no usually. You wet your hair to keep it slick and flat b/c swim caps are ridiculously hard to put on - and you can easily rip out hair taking it off if you aren't careful.

Actually - it's recommended that you soak your hair in reg water and slick it into a bun or braid then put your cap on top. Sometimes pool water will get in - but no usually. You wet your hair to keep it slick and flat b/c swim caps are ridiculously hard to put on - and you can easily rip out hair taking it off if you aren't careful.

Wow, thankyou very very much.

I know i would have been the one to rip that bad boy off too hair and all :nono:

So i'll omit the conditoner, wet it, braid it, and i guess just wash it to be safe.

Thanks again Soliel!

As a swimmer everything from competitive to leisure...I can assure you that water gets in. What I do is wet my hair with reg. water apply leave in conditioner put in a bun and then apply the cap. I used to do that and then put on a plastic cap prior to but that made the swim cap slip. Also make sure that you have some sort of chlorine remover for your hair or clarifier to remove excess chlorine from your hair. :grin: Happy swimming!

From my experience with my daughters, the easiest thing to do is to wet hair, apply a little conditioner/leave-in, put it in a bun, braid or ponytail, have fun swimming, and planning on doing a deep/moisturizing conditioner as soon as you can. Do not manipulate the hair at all until it has been conditioned because chlorine really is the devil. I omit the swim cap because I just found them to be annoying to deal with and they often don't do the job imo.

As a swimmer everything from competitive to leisure...I can assure you that water gets in. What I do is wet my hair with reg. water apply leave in conditioner put in a bun and then apply the cap. I used to do that and then put on a plastic cap prior to but that made the swim cap slip. Also make sure that you have some sort of chlorine remover for your hair or clarifier to remove excess chlorine from your hair. :grin: Happy swimming!

Thankyou! I need to research some shampoos and go get some of that type today. And i am def. going to do the water, leavein, bun then a cap..goes with what Soliel was saying as well...you guys know what yall are talking about LOL...So glad you told me that plastic cap makes the swim cap slip also...I would have had so much conditoner on my head, so many caps....everything would have slid right off :nono: Clumps of conditoner would probally be floating around the pool :nono:

I hope the swimming is happy :ohwell: At this point in time i will not go in anything deeper than 4 feet. :perplexed

Thanks again Scarlet :lachen:

From my experience with my daughters, the easiest thing to do is to wet hair, apply a little conditioner/leave-in, put it in a bun, braid or ponytail, have fun swimming, and planning on doing a deep/moisturizing conditioner as soon as you can. Do not manipulate the hair at all until it has been conditioned because chlorine really is the devil. I omit the swim cap because I just found them to be annoying to deal with and they often don't do the job imo.

Ok so that really seems to be what you need to do when going swimming.

Yes i've read something that says chlorine is a bleach, will eat through the cuticle of your hair and open it, and attach to the protien of your hair or something?

So leave the hair alone, get home, use the chlorine shampoo, then deepconditon.

So do you ever notice any damage in your hair from ommiting the swimming cap or do you not go that much?

I was thinking about that...If water gets in...even alittle bit....is that still better than just taking it off and swimming free? Those things are so ugly.

But i think since my hair is relaxed any damage the chlornine could do would be magnified by 10 or something :nono: Hopefully hopefully with the deepconditoning 3x a week from this class my hair can acutally end up the same or in better conditon. :sad:

ETA--Thankyou hopeful

Long-term I do not know the affects, but short-term, a few weeks, my daughters' hair actually flourished from all of the conditioning. Just be sure also to not use any heat (other than for a deep con), during this period.

ETA: One of my daughter's was relaxed at the time too.

Long-term I do not know the affects, but short-term, a few weeks, my daughters' hair actually flourished from all of the conditioning. Just be sure also to not use any heat (other than for a deep con), during this period.

ETA: One of my daughter's was relaxed at the time too.

Ok great! Thats good to hear she was relaxed and bennefitted from the conditoning gives me some hope.
And another excellent heads up...I knew for sure i wasnt going to use any chemicals or anything and now i agree that it would be best to avoid heat also.

Thanks again Hopefull! :grin:

Ok great! Thats good to hear she was relaxed and bennefitted from the conditoning gives me some hope.
And another excellent heads up...I knew for sure i wasnt going to use any chemicals or anything and now i agree that it would be best to avoid heat also.

Thanks again Hopefull! :grin:

You're welcome and good luck fluffylocks! Let us know how it goes. I need to take swim lessons myself:yep:.

If you doubled up like the olympic swimmers do, I'd say yes! I've seen them do this one cap over the other. It looks like it might give a migraine though :(

Most caps will leak a little water in around the edges. The minute you stretch or pull on the cap in the water, you will get a wet head!

Water will definately get into the swim cap. Saturate with conditioner then wash as soon as swimming is over.

I deep condition afterwards.

I am going to the beach. I don't want to get my hair wet especially in the pool. I thought a swim cap would work well but it seems like it won't.

Girl, think you got issues? My relaxed daughter is on a swim team this summer and practices 2x a day, 6 days a week (7:30A & 6:30P)! Then she competes every Sat.:wallbash: It's giving me the blues with her hair, and I am nerved up about the potential effects of this. I wet each morning and saturate in a super heavy moisturizing condish. I wrap it tightly in saran wrap (to the point that she looks Asian):lachen:! Then I use a Speedo silicon swim cap. This does minimize the amount of water tha gets in most of the time. We go home directly afterwards and I rinse thoroughly immediately. I co-wash 2x a week with Hair One and wash with sls free cleanser on weekends and add baking soda to it to clarify. I manipulte as little as possible. To be honest, I'm rarely combing her hair at all these days until the weekend. I'm careful to pay attention that her hair isn't overmoisturized being that it is wet with condish in it most of the time, so I do light protein condish. too. I judge this by doing a strand test on a single hair that has shedded.

PikiNiki, I will stop complaining about my little 2-3 times a week swimming after reading this! Oh my gosh! You are good to keep up with all that! I'm sure your daughter's hair will thank you!

PikiNiki, I will stop complaining about my little 2-3 times a week swimming after reading this! Oh my gosh! You are good to keep up with all that! I'm sure your daughter's hair will thank you!
I hope so. It's MBL, so I would hate for this to be a major setback. I've worked really hard to keep my girls and my hair in great health. Hair has become a ritual around this house. My husband and my son think that I'm a hair fanatic, yet he appreciates all the effort that goes into caring for his girls:grin:! He's starting to get why I invest so much time and money into our hair. He loves when we get compliments almost as much as we do!

I wish swim caps would keep hair dry, they just decrease the amount of exposure to chlorine. I condition hair and wrap with silk wrap then pull on my cap. Hair is moist when I finish swimming (2 times week) and then I put on even more conditioner and sit for 30 min wash out with a swimmers shampoo then apply a rinse out conditioner like Aussie 3 min in shower while I lather up body. Hair is thriving with all this washing and conditioning. I style with air-drying and flexi-rod sets.

Yep, water does get in. Swim caps are really just for keeping your hair out of the way, and it also decreases resistance in the water when swimming--that's why you see professional male swimmers that have short hair still using swim caps. Everyone gave you great advice--just wet your hair, apply a little conditioner put on the swim cap and have fun. :)

Back