Lye Isn't For Everyone...

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

....no matter if they say it leaves your hair more moist bodified. I had been shedding for quite some time since using those lye. Granted, I damaged my hair from no-lye through overlapping, not applying with a rat tail comb and applying too much because the chemical expands...my technique was rat!...but I've since corrected that. So I decided to go the lye route because it was so highly recommended. :nono: This past week, I used a calcium hydroxide to correct some parts that had been underprocessed with the lye and no shedding...no having to grab portions of hair and inch my way up to the scalp with the Jilbere for fear of massive shedding. :nono: I lost all those strands because my hair hates lye relaxers! Never again. So, I'm going to be selling the remainder of my Mizani, Linange and ORS Olive Oil lye relaxers. I think they have flat rate postage now from the USPS. I'll find out how much they'll weigh and post them in the exchange forum. But I'm so mad, I could just spit!!!

Britt

I agree.. Lye tears up my scalp..
Prior to the hairboards I've always used no lye w/ no issues....
Since joining, I've tried several different lye relaxers and they all usually make my scalp way too soon. Lye is very good for texlaxing b/c it leaves some texture and curl in your natural curl pattern. Even Mizani butter blends makes my scalp a little tender.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I agree.. Lye tears up my scalp..
Prior to the hairboards I've always used no lye w/ no issues....
Since joining, I've tried several different lye relaxers and they all usually make my scalp way too soon. Lye is very good for texlaxing b/c it leaves some texture and curl in your natural curl pattern. Even Mizani butter blends makes my scalp a little tender.

I'm glad I'm not alone. Besides, one stylist told me I was using too strong a calcium relaxer in the first place. I just didn't listen to her. And sure enough, the gentler ones straighten my hair much better. I was frying it! So the rough texture...you know. But I'm still not cutting. Not yet. I use Rezz-a-rect and it's amazing as a reconstructor/conditioner.

But no more lye for me. And I don't like how they changed my texture..can't quite describe it...kinda funny-looking...even Silk Elements...dull-looking when wet. Nevuh mo!

djanae

When I relaxed...Lye relaxers always burned the HECK out my scalp!

The thought makes me cringe even now! lol

The last relaxer I used was the ORS olive oil no-lye relaxer, and I was actually confused as to why I didnt feel the burn...was loving that one b4 I stopped relaxing.

Ladybug33

....no matter if they say it leaves your hair more moist bodified. I had been shedding for quite some time since using those lye. Granted, I damaged my hair from no-lye through overlapping, not applying with a rat tail comb and applying too much because the chemical expands...my technique was rat!...but I've since corrected that. So I decided to go the lye route because it was so highly recommended. :nono: This past week, I used a calcium hydroxide to correct some parts that had been underprocessed with the lye and no shedding...no having to grab portions of hair and inch my way up to the scalp with the Jilbere for fear of massive shedding. :nono: I lost all those strands because my hair hates lye relaxers! Never again. So, I'm going to be selling the remainder of my Mizani, Linange and ORS Olive Oil lye relaxers. I think they have flat rate postage now from the USPS. I'll find out how much they'll weigh and post them in the exchange forum. But I'm so mad, I could just spit!!!

Which no lye relaxer did you switch to?

poookie

Hm. I've been using lye for 2 years now, and I think it totally depends on the brands you use. ORS lye, Mizani, and Silk Elements lye all burn my scalp to holy hell. when i switched to Hawaiian Silky Lye, i noticed that it didn't burn my scalp at all! not even a tingle. I also process fully, and i get bone-straight results each time. no-lye relaxers, for me, would always leave my hair feeling dull and dry. my hair feels softer & is able to hold moisture better now that i use lye exclusively.

but it's good that you've identified what doesn't work for you. better to stick to what you know than to keep experimenting & end up with a setback!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Which no lye relaxer did you switch to?

I went back to these below. I copied and pasted so ignore the type...can't get rid of it. But Gentle Treatment is also good.

Revlon Realistic now offers two relaxers for Hispanic hair.

beana

Lye tears me up too!!! i've been using ORS no-lye for a while and recently switched back to Phyto index 2 since ive always had good results with it. My scalp is very sensitive too.

OP, What no-lye relaxers have you tried in the past that were too strong?

Americka

I can count the number of lye relaxers I have had. They simply burned me too quickly and too much. I've been using no-lye since I started self-relaxing and that is all that I use. My roommate from college couldn't understand why I use no lye; all she used was lye. Once she did my touch-up with the no lye, she realized that it actually works for me. I used the ORS Olive Oil no lye on Saturday and I love it!