Macadamia nut oil smells like chicken grease.

Choklatekiss79

I ordered some oils (macadamia, jojoba, and grapeseed) and herbs (nettle, peppermint, horsetail, and black cohosh) to make an herbal scalp oil. I got the idea from the Moe's growth oil thread. Well I went to mix my oils and herbs, and gosh darnit, I had to toss my first mixture out. It smelled like CHICKEN grease. :lachen: There was no way in h3ll I was puttin that on my head and going out in public. I remixed my concoction (sans the macadamia nut oil) and it smells GREAT!

It's unfortunate because I've heard and read great things about this particular oil. I just wasn't expecting such a strong smell. Anyone else feel this way?

Irresistible

I ordered some oils (macadamia, jojoba, and grapeseed) and herbs (nettle, peppermint, horsetail, and black cohosh) to make an herbal scalp oil. I got the idea from the Moe's growth oil thread. Well I went to mix my oils and herbs, and gosh darnit, I had to toss my first mixture out. It smelled like CHICKEN grease. :lachen: There was no way in h3ll I was puttin that on my head and going out in public. I remixed my concoction (sans the macadamia nut oil) and it smells GREAT!

It's unfortunate because I've heard and read great things about this particular oil. I just wasn't expecting such a strong smell. Anyone else feel this way?

lololol girl I just bought some too! u just rained all over my macadamia nut parade!

Irresistible

I havent used this in a while and am going to be trying the butter soon! Avocado oil and butter dont smell so great either. I think I'm gonna stick with it. cause like you I know with both the benefits are huge

still laffin @ Chicken grease!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Eww, I'm glad I didn't buy it then cuz I sure was going to. I was totally thinking it would have some sort of nutty smell....not chicken grease.:perplexed

Irresistible

ok the Butter doesnt have hardly any smell at all :clap:

The oil on the other hand :ohwell:

I will be adding fragrance oils to that

I got mine from fnwl

I cant wait to use the butter, totally not willing to give up on the oil, or I will use it on 'alone' nights :grin:

GeorginaSparks

That is weird. I got mine from lotioncrafters and it barely has a smell!

Btw, what are the pros and cons of using this oil? I just added it to my order because of their minimum purchase rule :look:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
ok the Butter doesnt have hardly any smell at all :clap:

The oil on the other hand :ohwell:

I will be adding fragrance oils to that

I got mine from fnwl

I cant wait to use the butter, totally not willing to give up on the oil, or I will use it on 'alone' nights :grin:
Lol @ alone nights:grin:.

Choklatekiss79

Mine was really potent. But then again, I have a really sensitive nose. I put 4 teaspoons of peppermint leaf in the mix to try to kill the smell and still it smelled like chicken grease. Both of my grannies are from the south and when they fried chicken, they would use a coffee can to save the grease so that they could use it again the next time they fried chicken.:lachen: That's what it smelled like to me - that coffe can. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

I got my macadamia nut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs. (www.mountainroseherbs.com) Great company by the way.

Here's some info about the oil.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/ingredients/nearly-perfect-macadamia-nut-oil-for-hair-and-skin-care

Irresistible

Mine was really potent. But then again, I have a really sensitive nose. I put 4 teaspoons of peppermint leaf in the mix to try to kill the smell and still it smelled like chicken grease. Both of my grannies are from the south and when they fried chicken, they would use a coffee can to save the grease so that they could use it again the next time they fried chicken.:lachen: That's what it smelled like to me - that coffe can. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

I got my macadamia nut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs. (www.mountainroseherbs.com) Great company by the way.

Here's some info about the oil.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/ingredients/nearly-perfect-macadamia-nut-oil-for-hair-and-skin-care

It really is a wonderful oil, this and Avocado dont smell the greatest though, just a kinda slight off smell. I have tons of fragrance oils though-if needed

I cant give up on these oils , they really are good!

Christa438

Mine was really potent. But then again, I have a really sensitive nose. I put 4 teaspoons of peppermint leaf in the mix to try to kill the smell and still it smelled like chicken grease. Both of my grannies are from the south and when they fried chicken, they would use a coffee can to save the grease so that they could use it again the next time they fried chicken.:lachen: That's what it smelled like to me - that coffe can. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?...

Yes!!!:lachen: I hate that smell --brings back memories. One time i ran out of lotion lol and i used some because I didn't want to be ashy as I have really dry skin. My mama told me I should've used the unused vegetable oil (hiding way up in the cabinet) because I smelled like chicken grease all day. I wanted to tell her she should've bought some lotion so I wouldn't have had to...but I wasn't no fool lol.