Macadamia Nut Oil - give me the facts

SimplyBlessed

Ok so I see that a lot of ppl use macadamia nut oil but there arent many threads around here on it...i have a whole bunch that I was going to use for something but ended up not using it...so

Who uses it?
Why?
How?

And what are the benefits??

Any other good info is greatly appreciated...

Fhrizzball

I looove macadamia nut oil. They remind me of my favorite cookie. You know the one with white chocolate chips in it.

Anyways from what I found out online Mac Nut Oil mimmicks the sebum that our bodies make to protect our hair shafts. So it's a close runner up when compared to Jojoba.

Also Contains the highest amount of palmitoleic acid (an Omega 7 fatty acid) of any plant. Palmitoleic acid is abundant in the body at birth but decreases with age, causing dull, coarse, dehydrated hair. By replenishing hair with it, this essential component of human sebum plays an integral role in lubrication, softening and protection of hair protein structures, which ultimately leaves hair hydrated, healthy and shiny.

Palmitoleic acid also replaces naturally occurring skin on the lips, allowing the skin to remain younger looking.

Macadamia oil reduces wrinkles and dryness. It is a natural moisturizer and emollient (emollients attract and trap moisture from the air). Macadamia oil is light and non-greasy so it is easily absorbed into the hair shaft and skin. Another gift of macadamia nut oil is that it contains proteins, and its vitamin E contributes skin-care benefits and long shelf life.

Macadamia nut oil also offers protection from the sun and can help treat sunburns. It also makes an excellent carrier oil. I read somewhere that the oil partially penetrates hair strands but I can't vouch for that. It's nice and light when I use it and helps to thin out thick oils as well i.e. Castor oil.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/nearly-perfect-macadamia-nut-oil-for-hair-and-skin-care

Okay after some snooping I found out that it does partially penetrate because of its high count of monounsaturated fatty acids (which also makes it healthy for you)

Generally, molecules with a straight chain geometry (saturated fatty acids) i.e Coconut oil can easily fit through the pores of the cuticle layer and slither through the CMC and into the interior of the cortex. Recent spectroscopic studies have allowed scientists to confirm that monounsaturated fatty acids i.e Mac Nut Oil are also able to readily penetrate the interior of the hair via this route.

It is only the polyunsaturated oils that don't penetrate at all because of the many chains that it is composed of.

Last edited:

ycj1

I looove macadamia nut oil. They remind me of my favorite cookie. You know the one with white chocolate chips in it.

Anyways from what I found out online Mac Nut Oil mimmicks the sebum that our bodies make to protect our hair shafts. So it's a close runner up when compared to Jojoba.

Also Contains the highest amount of palmitoleic acid (an Omega 7 fatty acid) of any plant. Palmitoleic acid is abundant in the body at birth but decreases with age, causing dull, coarse, dehydrated hair. By replenishing hair with it, this essential component of human sebum plays an integral role in lubrication, softening and protection of hair protein structures, which ultimately leaves hair hydrated, healthy and shiny.

Palmitoleic acid also replaces naturally occurring skin on the lips, allowing the skin to remain younger looking.

Macadamia oil reduces wrinkles and dryness. It is a natural moisturizer and emollient (emollients attract and trap moisture from the air). Macadamia oil is light and non-greasy so it is easily absorbed into the hair shaft and skin. Another gift of macadamia nut oil is that it contains proteins, and its vitamin E contributes skin-care benefits and long shelf life.

Macadamia nut oil also offers protection from the sun and can help treat sunburns. It also makes an excellent carrier oil. I read somewhere that the oil partially penetrates hair strands but I can't vouch for that. It's nice and light when I use it and helps to thin out thick oils as well i.e. Castor oil.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...fect-macadamia-nut-oil-for-hair-and-skin-care

I am so glad you posted this and gave this info, I just ordered the Macadamia Seed butter and really was'nt sure of it's affects. But you've clarified it all here for us and I greatly appreciate it!:yep:

SimplyBlessed

Yes I hear Traycee loves this oil...

Thanks for the wealth of info Kusare

And other users out there? It seems to be a really light oil so probably good for sealing....but oooo how I love my vatika coconut oil...

Mmm I might just use it on my skin....

Since it is a protein oil does anybody see any negative side affects?

Fhrizzball

I've been using it for awhile now and didn't notice any bad effects. Of course I'm not really protein sensitive. If you're worried try to find a small sample and work your way up.

@YC where did you get the macadamia seed butter at? Sounds yummy

ycj1

I've been using it for awhile now and didn't notice any bad effects. Of course I'm not really protein sensitive. If you're worried try to find a small sample and work your way up.

@YC where did you get the macadamia seed butter at? Sounds yummy

Oh it is for sure, I just used some tonight when I re-did some of my braids! I purchased it from Camden Grey. Just type in camdengrey.com and you'll find a host of butters there. I have the 1lb tub and I know it will last me probably until Dec! I also have the Avocado butter and the Mango butter. But for right now only using the Macadamia butter to see how it works since I just got them in the mail last wk. You should try them cus I do think you'll like them! Oh, I forgot to mention the prices are as good as the butters!