Major Hair Help Needed For Friend: Please Advise (thank You, In Advance)

nymane

@YvetteWithJoy
I haven't tried the Joico 17 minute miracle kit; I think they stopped selling it in the U.S. I use the reconstructor (amazing) and the intense hydrator (very amazing). I'm interested in hearing more about the cuticle sealer, but I wonder how necessary it would be since all Joico treatments have low pH levels.

Although I love everything Joico, I've switched to low pH sulfate free shampoos (Sojourn) for the sake of my sensitive scalp and for even more moisture.

LiLi

I wonder what tool she is detanging with. I tried finger detangling and also just detanging with a wide-tooth comb but I wasn’t able to get all of the shed hairs out. Because of that, I experienced tangling like hers — from the root to the tip.

Also, I notice that any product with dimethicone high up on the list causes my hair to fuse together if I keep using it back-to-back such as co-washing. If I use a product with that ingredient in it, I have to do it when I straighten and, once I wash, I have to use a chelating shampoo — always pre-pooing and detangling beforehand.

Lastly, I know she said she sections her hair but she should probably just do the entire process with her hair braided. So detangle first and braid each section as she goes. Then wash, condition, etc. with the braids in. I don’t do this much anymore since I started using Silk Dreams products. However, I started doing that back in 2001 when I was an extreme product junky. Because of that, I never experienced severe tangling even when a product didn’t agree with my hair — braiding it didn’t allow my hair to tangle.

I wish her success in finding what is wrong because that type of detangling is definitely more frustrating that anything.

naturalyogini

@nymane, @naturalyogini, and others, what do you think about the Joico 17-Minute Hair Repair System. Apparently a sample kit is available.

Here's a link to a post in a thread about it: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...ks-cuticle-sealer.115428/page-3#post-23857777

Previous posts in the thread say it's a collection of a chelator, reconstructor, cuticle sealer, and DC.

TIA!
I don't think they sell the kit anymore. I read up on the cuticle sealer and apparently it's great to use after hair color. It has a low pH to lock in color. I think I'll pass until I color my hair. Thanks for the info!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi, all.

The Roux Porosity control. My friend has a question about it.

She said:
"Some people recommended Roux Porosity Control Corrector. Can you ask since my porosity is normal, if I would still be able to use it? If yes, in what step of my wash day would I incorporate it? My hair starts tangling right after shampooing."

Thanks in advance for your help.

MilkChocolateOne

Hi, all.

The Roux Porosity control. My friend has a question about it.

She said:
"Some people recommended Roux Porosity Control Corrector. Can you ask since my porosity is normal, if I would still be able to use it? If yes, in what step of my wash day would I incorporate it? My hair starts tangling right after shampooing."

Thanks in advance for your help.

She needs to change shampoo. The wrong shampoo can sabotage an entire wash session. Also her porosity might not be normal. I know some “famous expert” evaluated her porosity but that stylist might be mistaken. Unfortunately when it comes to hair care the experts don’t always know best. Most cosmetology programs teach styling techniques and chemical services. The care/maintenance aspect of hair most stylists learn through trial and error, personal belief or they believe what their instructors tell them. She might want to try products and a regimen tailored to different porosity levels and learn through her own trial and error to see what works.

Last edited:

krissyhair

Not to be a nuisance, but it would help to know exactly what products she used, when she used them and what order they were used. For me, ingredients/additives are an invaluable resource when solving a hair equation. For instance, the term "protein treatment" is ambiguous and can mean many things until the ingredient list has been identified, e.g., reconstructor #1 with wheat protein vs reconstructor #2 with collagen protein. All protein treatments aren't created equal.

Persistent and extreme tangling can be caused by a number of issues. When it happened to me, I was forced to keep my hair as smooth and un-manipulated as possible while I identified the source of my problem. Some things that served to help mitigate the issue were:

- Braiding and manipulating only in the most careful of circumstances, e.g., cleansing using slow, deliberate smoothing motions from root to tip rather than scrubbing, scrunching or vigorously rubbing
- Never twisting my hair; and never braiding it all the way down to the ends because those are surefire recipes for disaster (instead, I left 2-3 inches unbraided and smoothed them out with a thick, creamy LI and/or heavy butter, which is my version of heavy sealing)
- Substituting the thick, creamy LIs and heavy oils for a slimy, slippery LI and light softening oil as my finishing products (the thicker ones clumped the hair and made it stick together, which facilitated tangles and knots up and down the strands; but the slimy, lighter ones smoothed and kept the hairs separate, yet together...if that makes sense)
- Switching to softening and moisturizing cleansing conditioners with phenomenal slip; the only shampoo I used was a chelator every six or so weeks. Chelating is important!
- Ditching the protein treatments/reconstructors in favor of balancing DCs (they gave my hair the kick it needed without the massive tangles, knots and dryness I received from the others)
- A nice trim
- Pre-pooing on dry hair with a moisturizing DC that has a sick amount of slip (optional and only done in the most Saharan of circumstances; the best ones are dominican DCs)
- Only using a wide toothed comb
- Trading in the Goody Ouchless barrettes for large snap clips (for a firmer, more secure hold to prevent tangles; once I'd detangled and smoothed the hair, I needed it to stay in that state until the next step)
- Using hotter water instead of lukewarm or cool
- Limited styling to two Pippi Longstocking braids (and the subsequent braid-outs they created) in order to control manipulation to prevent tangling and knotting
- Only using the dopest DCs on the block

No offense, but Afrotastic and TMC ain't dope enough for the job. IMO, she needs some heavy hitters, especially since her hair is consistently dry and feels squeaky upon rinsing. I totally understand your friend's frustration and despair, which is why I advocate for a thorough analysis of her products and technique. Tell her to hang on. She's not alone because she has hair crime fighters all across the globe who are willing to offer their input and support on her behalf.
This is one of the best posts I've seen in a while.

gemruby41

I agree it may be the shampoo.

Try doing a dc before the shampoo. If it works switch shampoos.

Ask her to try shampooing once instead of twice. If it' better than definitely the shampoo.

For me if my hair is bad after the shampoo it never gets better.
My hair is the same way when it comes to shampoo. If the shampoo doesn’t agree with my hair, everything after that doesn’t seem to work.