Making your own herb-infused oil

zzirvingj

I was wondering if anyone here makes their own herb-infused oil(s) for their hair/scalp?

The article below mentions two ways of doing it:

http://solarkateco.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-make-herb-infused-oil-herbal.html

I thought about making one with one of the follwing oils:

-Emu
-Olive
-Jojoba
-Coconut
-Castor

And infusing it with one or more of the following herbs:

-Stinging Nettle
-Rosemary
-Horsetail
-Cayenne?
-Burdock
-Sage
-Lavendar

I am looking to make an oil I can use as a daily massage oil for my scalp. Something that will improve improve circulation, stimulate growth, and relieve dry scalp. :drunk:

adw425

One of my infused oils is coconut/olive/sesame infused with fenugreek, nettle, rosemary, burdock, parsley, sage and at least three more herbs. I will edit this once I get home as I did label the bottle. It is kind of heavy so it is great for sealing. My second oil is passionfruit oil which I infused with cayenne, nettle and rosemary. I just made this oil about five weeks ago. I had been adding liquid cayenne extract to my scalp concoctions, but decided to fill up a 3x5 muslin herb baggie with cayenne and infuse in my potpourri crock pot. I then threw in a couple of nettle teabags and one rosemary teabag. I infused for about four hours. I added sulfur to this one and aloe vera gel and a bit of my tea tree/jojoba oil blend. It really warms the scalp for a nice period of time. I mostly use my aloe vera gel scalp concoction detailed in the AV thread, but I use this one a couple times a week -- Tuesday night and Friday night as I shampoo on Wednesday and Saturday.

P.S. I discovered a 16 ounce bottle of emu oil on the top shelf of my linen closet, so just four days ago, I did add some emu.

zora

Everyone who's on the Moegrow challenge is doing it. Actually, there are some who use extracts instead of the plant, but for the most part, we are using the actual herbs.

I didn't click on the links, but most are either using a crockpot or the sunlight method.

I've used the sunlight method and infusing it in the dark.

La Colocha

Bumping. For those who do not use heat to infuse how long does it take for the herbs to infuse with the oil, If you just put it in the oil and let it sit. I have hibiscus infusing in olive oil and its been 2 weeks. Is it supposed to change color like the red of the hibiscus? Should i wait longer to use it?

*Muffin*

I was thinking about that too! The oil I would use out of those oils would be olive because it's a neutral oil and would remain liquid in colder temps. Also it can be found really cheap in supermarkets. For herbs I would use a combination of stinging nettle, burdock, horsetail, and sage because they are really good for supporting follicle strength and healthy hair growth. Sage also helps with preserving hair darkness. I have a small crockpot at my house so I may just do it :).