March 2009~Hits & Misses~

HoneyDew

Big Fat Miss: Kenra - Platinum Shampoo for Thick/Coarse Hair[/B]
This mess is no more "gentle" then your average SLS filled shampoo. It made my hair rough, tangled, and matted.

I am so done with shampoos! I don't know what is going on. Every wash day has been a matted, tangled mess not matter which brand of shampoo I use.

I have been using this shampoo, and although I got no stripping or tangles, over time it coated my hair. I see it has silicone in it now. After about 5 weekly washes, my hair was trippin out on me. I used something else and my hair is back to normal.

So much for this expensive shampoo. :look:

But it did give me softness and slip, at first.

Prose Princess

Miss: TRESemme Remoisturize as a cowash conditioner. Doesn't even light a candle to Aussie Moist! It made my hair feel kinda weird and seemed to disappear as soon as I put it on my hair because it is so thin. No thanks!

Hits: Everything I have tried by Joico--K-Pak Reconstructor and Conditioner, and Moisture Recovery Conditioner and Treatment Balm. I LOVE Joico! :love2:

RubyWoo

Hits:

Mizani Renew Fortifying Shampoo
Mizani Renew Reconstrurizing Masque

I used these last weekend and followed up by deep conditioning with Mizani Moisturfuse. After airdrying, I flat ironed my hair and my hair was sooo silky, smooth and very strong. I've been breakage free all week :)! I definitely like this as much as my Joico kpak.

tocthesunrise

during my discovery of Sizta2Sizta products, i had to come back and add the Amazing Hair Oil!

i also tried PC shampoo for my DD and me and it worked wonders for us both! Love it!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Hits

Aussie Moist (brought my hair back to normal after two days of near craziness). It smells so good and I love the thickness.

AOHSR--I see what the hype is about. The smell isn't all that and it's so thick I'm nearly getting a headache getting it out of the bottle but it is a BIG FAT HIT for me. I had just done a deep conditioning with a protein concoction. My hair felt strong but a little dry. I put the AOHSR and instantly my hair felt moist, silky, and it had slip. It's a keeper.

MonaLisa

I realized the biggest mistake for me in '08 was not implementing enough protein in my regimen...

Just using more protein, more specifically, consistently using Joico K-Pak, I am seeing a positive difference in my hair :yep:.

Continued Hits:
Hairveda SitriNillah Deep Conditioner
Hairveda Moist Pro Conditioner
Hairveda 24/7 Conditioner
Yes to Carrots Mud Mask

Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Joico K-Pak Daily Conditioner
Joico Intense Hydrator
WEN Fig
Garnier Fructis Melting Masque Strength and Repair
Shea Butter

Newest Hit: Pantene Nature Fusion Moisture Balance Conditioner

HoneyDew

MISS turned HIT!!!:

Maxiglide MP.

I DID NOT care for it when I first got it. It smelled like the tell tale burning you get from some heat styling. I hate that. So I reboxed it and have not used it since. I bought it back when they were first introduced.

Anyway, I tried a less is more routine with my leave-in and serum because I have been over moisturizing. BUT as a result, my hair was not straightening as well with my regular iron.

I remembered what someone said once about not using a lot of product when ironing with the Maxiglide. So I whipped it out.

WOW WOW WOW. I love it. I am so glad, too. I thought I had wasted the money. My hair was straight and soft and bouncy.

gymfreak336

Hit:

Garnier Strength and repair conditioner
Ion semi permanent color- Both the medium red brown and the darkest brown. This brand gives such rich color. I love how the dark brown looks. I am going to do a demi permanent or maybe the permanent color with this soon.

countrychickd

Hits:
Jojoba oil
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Dr. Bronner's Magic Castile Soap (Peppermint)

All of these products have reached staple status. More moisture than I could ever imagine with the AO conditioner. I definitely understand the rave now. I diluted the castile soap with water, coconut oil, and jojoba oil. Love it!

Morenita

miss: this is a big fat miss. going over each strand of hair 2-3 times with the flat iron to get my hair super silk. the end result is beautiful(still is) but i get my hair just as straight just going over each section once. i will not be doing this again.

hit: i know i already said this but using ojon RT as a moisturizer/sealant. this stuff gives amazing shine and is so moisturizing.

hit:how could i forget i am now in love with OJON TAWAKA CONDITIONER. this stuff is sooooo amazing.

@Bolded:

Girrrrllll! People are sleeping on this heaven in a jar. When I first bought it, I was using it like the instructions say, but since I've been OD'ing on moisture, I find that I don't need to use it that way. Well, I have a little natural patch in the front of my hair (self-imposed) that's just a little more coarse than the rest of my hair and just sucks up all of the moisture. I've been having a really hard time getting a decent bun lately because I just can't smooth the front down anymore since I chopped it :ohwell: So last night I pulled out the ol' Ojon RT and slathered it on that section. Then I took my "gel" (Curls Whipped Cream) and smoothed it down and did two buns. Today, I have not one little hair sticking up, my hair is so soft, not hard at ALL, and best of all, it's moisturized! Little by little, I am finally getting this regimen thing down. Omg, am I actually getting happy with my hair? :blush:

Oh, and being the PJ that I am, you have now convinced me to get the Tawaka. Didn't take much I know... :lachen:

chebaby

on the fence: design essentials stimulations conditioner. i love the fact that its thick as all get out and it really tingles and cools my scalp but i think i need to add oils to it in order for it to be super moisturizing.

on the fence: ORS mayo. i dont know about this product. my hair felt weird after ward and even the deep treatment i did didnt make a difference. it still felt funny.

revisited hit: cocasta oil. this stuff is so moisturizing. im back in love.

chebaby

@Bolded:

Girrrrllll! People are sleeping on this heaven in a jar. When I first bought it, I was using it like the instructions say, but since I've been OD'ing on moisture, I find that I don't need to use it that way. Well, I have a little natural patch in the front of my hair (self-imposed) that's just a little more coarse than the rest of my hair and just sucks up all of the moisture. I've been having a really hard time getting a decent bun lately because I just can't smooth the front down anymore since I chopped it :ohwell: So last night I pulled out the ol' Ojon RT and slathered it on that section. Then I took my "gel" (Curls Whipped Cream) and smoothed it down and did two buns. Today, I have not one little hair sticking up, my hair is so soft, not hard at ALL, and best of all, it's moisturized! Little by little, I am finally getting this regimen thing down. Omg, am I actually getting happy with my hair? :blush:

Oh, and being the PJ that I am, you have now convinced me to get the Tawaka. Didn't take much I know... :lachen:
yea they sleeping on ojon. i can honestly say i love almost everything from that line. its all so moisturizing. and you will love the tawaka conditioner(not the cleanser lol). i am transitioning and it defines my curls something serious. i love it.

youwillrise

HIT:

flexirodding my twists.

my twists are 3 weeks old,
i flexirodded them yesterday and
the style makes my twists look so good
you can hardly tell they're that old.

hooray!

...because i really intend on keeping these as long as possible

i'll re-do them eventually lol

Prose Princess

Hit: Using more oil in my prepoo...well, more like pre-ayurveda paste lol! I always put Dabur Amla oil on my new growth and relaxed hair before applying my Ayurveda paste, but I always use it pretty sparingly. But today I was like, "I really hate the way this stuff smells. I'm just gonna pour it on my hair so I can get rid of it faster!" :lachen:

Well, that turned out to be a really good idea. The Amla oil always makes my hair soft when I put on a plastic cap and leave it on for a while, but the extra oil in addition to my ayurveda paste mix left my hair :drool: !! Unfortunately I had to clarify with Kenra Clarifying/Chelating tonight because my hair was starting to feel coated. Let's just say it made me remember why I hate shampoo now! :nono:

Had I been able to just go straight to my Aussie Moist (which I did after clarifying), there's no telling what kind of hairgasm I would've had! :lachen: So I will definitely be using my Dabur Amla oil a lot more freely from now on! :yep:

Oh, and just to be formal--

Miss: SHAMPOO!!! I'm a ride or die co-washer! lol

La Colocha

Continued hit and has graduated to staple Avocado butter+ water

Hits- Hawaiian silky 14 and 1:lick:
ors aloe poo-staple (has replaced my con poo)
Scurl texturizer styling gel-staple (My hair loves this)

MummysGirl

Hits
1. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for Cowashes, which led to me cowashing 3 times in a row i.e. (Saturday, Wednesday and Friday) and discovering that my hair doesn't need shampoos as much as I thought :)
2. Shea Butter + Castor Oil + Coconut Oil Mix as my moisturiser (Thanks to LHCF)
3. Henna every 3 weeks (Finally came back to Henna after a 2 year break)
4. Braidout updos :)
5. Re-discovering Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor (it was gathering dust behind all my products)

Misses
1. Cowashing with Conditioner mixed with shikakai powder and coconut oil (my hair surprisingly felt stripped!)
2. A little breakage while ill :-( Fixed it with Aphogee 2 Min reconstructor cowash :)

On The Fence
1. Cowashing with Conditioner mixed with amla powder and coconut oil (it was okay but not sure if it's worth the time)
2. Anita Grant Babassou shampoo bar
3. Anita Grant whipped butter
4. Anita Grant Creamy Caffe Latte

Last edited:

shtow

Hit-using coconut oil a little differently. Instead of just slopping it on my hair and getting upset that my hair was weighed down:lachen:, I used VERY little. Just a dot per quarter section of hair (enough to shine my fingers). Then I massaged it in and brushed my hair with a boar bristle brush. This helped it really penetrate without weighing it down. When I took down my pincurls, they were moisturized, yet soft and fluffy:grin:

Kinda OT but for the past month I have been using coconut oil on my skin and feet and SO has noticed how soft it is. Last night he asked if I just got out the shower or used a butter on my skin. I said no, coconut oil. He was like ur skin feels sooooo good. Coconut Oil will be a staple for life. I also use it to take off my makeup and overnight on my face.

chebaby

^^^^^my SO said the same thing and i have been using coconut oil on my skin since i stopped using it on my hair. i use vatika on my hair now.

chebaby

miss jessies baby buttercream

doing a final rinse with coconut milk

pre pooing with coconut milk,evoo, avocado oil and castor oil mix.

Toy

Hit: Pantene Fusion w/Cassia smells wonderful and I love the way it makes my hair Feel.

gymfreak336

Hit!

Redken extreme Rescue Force conditioner- lipids, proteins, ceramides all in one creamy fortifying deep treatment :love:

Paul Mitchell Super strong shampoo- nice smell, noticable strengthening in one shampoo

myronnie

Not deep conditioning
My hair actually likes being prepooed then washed then quickie conditioned without a long deep condition. As long as a do a good prepoo and use a very weak and moisturizing shampoo my hair is awesome!

Cutting my hair
I love my hair right now :) It's grown back a lot and I'm falling in love with it every day. Scissors are your friends!

locabouthair

BIG FAT MISS

Carol's Daughter Leave in Conditioner-WORST leave in I've ever tried. It tangles and mades my hair feel so stiff, hard, and dry. I feel bad because a friend of mine bought it as a gift :(

Hit-ORS lye. I got no burns :yay: I never burn but I havent used lye in almost a year so I was scared to use it again.

LovelyLionessa

Revisited Hit:
Jamaican Castor oil: I had a bottle of this in my pj closet I decided to use on dry hair before bedtime. I had forgotten how great this stuff is! :love:

BKVincy

MISS - some antifrizz shampoo that I got from being a beauty insider at Sephora in a red bottle

I didnt like the way it made my hair feel when washing... Now my hair looks like its almost permed:wallbash: its like an inbetween straight/nappy and I cant do anything with it because I usually wear braid outs -see avi now my hair is toooooo straight so Ive been wearing wigs all week:nono:

well I dont remember the name but that ish works ... too damn well

Prose Princess

Hits: Sizta 2 Sizta Amazing Shine and Daily Moisturizer. They sent me an email saying they were going to change the forumla back to the original because people were having problems with the ones they sent me and they were going to send me the replacements, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with the new ones. The Amazing Sine spray (in addition to Jane Carter Nourish & Shine) has my hair blingin' like never before. And the Daily Moisturizer made my new growth soft, which the Jane Carter couldn't even do. So these may end up being staples too! I just hope the original formula works as well as the new ones :ohwell:

ETA: Hah! I order way too much stuff. It wasn't Sizta 2 Sizta that sent me that email, it was Ebony of Essence. So maybe their original formulas won't be such crap lol! I'll be back to report on that :yep:

Last edited: