Mary Magdalene...who was she?

misspriss

I was doing a Bible study on Mary Magdalene and I did not find support for her being a prostitute. I had heard many times that she was. I found her to be a faithful follower of Christ and that she was there at the crucifixion and Jesus appeared to her after he had risen.

What I found is that in Luke 8:1-3, it speaks of her having seven demons, but doesn't name them.

"After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means."

Also, the chapter before (Luke 7:36-50) talks about the sinful woman whom Jesus forgave, but doesn't name her, so I'm wondering if that's where that idea came from.

If you ladies have ideas and/or scriptural support, please share them. I do not intend for this to be contentious or a debate. I just wanted to get to the truth of the matter for myself.

Be Blessed.

Denim And Leather

misspriss said:
I was doing a Bible study on Mary Magdalene and I did not find support for her being a prostitute. I had heard many times that she was. I found her to be a faithful follower of Christ and that she was there at the crucifixion and Jesus appeared to her after he had risen.

What I found is that in Luke 8:1-3, it speaks of her having seven demons, but doesn't name them.

"After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means."

Also, the chapter before (Luke 7:36-50) talks about the sinful woman whom Jesus forgave, but doesn't name her, so I'm wondering if that's where that idea came from.

If you ladies have ideas and/or scriptural support, please share them. I do not intend for this to be contentious or a debate. I just wanted to get to the truth of the matter for myself.

Be Blessed.

You are correct, there is no evidence that she was a prostitute, nothing in Scripute, nada, zip. What you posted is all that is written about her, she is not even mentioned again after the Gospels.

As for the woman Jesus forgave that's mentioned in Luke, the Bible doesn't even say whether or not if she was a prostitute.

Remember, Satan is out there doing his best to distort Scripture (just look at the Da Vinci Code).

ETA- Just read the wikipedia link, and it's interesting how people have to add what they think or interpret, despite the Scriptures not mentioning anything!

Last edited:

Blossssom

It was more insinuated that she was of ill-repute.

Of course, it's assumed she was a prostitute because she is a woman, but she could have been a drug dealer for all we know and from what is "implied" in the Bible.