MAXIGLIDE USERS? GET IN HERE! Naturals...

luckiestdestiny

Hi ladies,

I'm new to the forum. I've been enjoying myself, reading all the tips here for the last week. I just wanted to know your thoughts on the MAXIGLIDE. Do the separation pins tear out natural black hair?I am a 3c with mostly 4a (or somewhere in between depending on which place in my head). I want to straighten my hair using minimum heat once a month or so. I'd appreciate any advice you have on this, or any other straighteners. And Also what kind of heat protection do you use. Also, forgive my naive nature, but are there any natural heat protectors for hair? Either way I'd love an answer and your opinions. Thanks!

Poobity

I'm natural and I have 4-something hair.

I use the maxiglide with the flat plate (the one w/out the pins) when I straighten my hair b/c I felt the plate with the pins pulled more of my hair out.

I use Chi Silk infusion for a heat protectant.

Have you done a search? There are tons of threads about naturals using the maxiglide.

And welcome to the boards. :)

CurleeDST

I have 3c/4a coarse hair and the plates do not pull out my hair b/c I run a rat tail comb through my strands first then slide the Maxiglide through. Works like a charm.

luckiestdestiny

I'm natural and I have 4-something hair.

I use the maxiglide with the flat plate (the one w/out the pins) when I straighten my hair b/c I felt the plate with the pins pulled more of my hair out.

I use Chi Silk infusion for a heat protectant.

Have you done a search? There are tons of threads about naturals using the maxiglide.

And welcome to the boards. :)
Thanks for the welcome. I've seen a few maxiglide listings but just put it in the search engine. I've noticed people like it, but I haven't seen anything about reducing breakage, or anything like that. Everytime I see the infomercial, it always shows those detangling pins which make me wince because my hair is so thick! :perplexed It's good to know it comes with a regular plate too.:yawn:

LynnieB

Thanks for the welcome. I've seen a few maxiglide listings but just put it in the search engine. I've noticed people like it, but I haven't seen anything about reducing breakage, or anything like that. Everytime I see the infomercial, it always shows those detangling pins which make me wince because my hair is so thick! :perplexed It's good to know it comes with a regular plate too.:yawn:

hey sis - the key is to use SMALL sections!! i also have thick hair and know it is not wise to try to flat iron too large a section of hair at one time, that's just asking for trouble. Know that it's going to take you a while to finish and allow yourself that time without the need to rush.

my sections are about 3 inches long and about this thick ---> *--*

i use the pins and steam burst (if i feel like it ;)) and lose no more than 5-6 hairs on my entire head. it gets straight enough for me on setting #1 or 1.5. i'd start on the lowest setting and work my way up from there if it's not the result you're looking for.

remember to never apply pressure to the flatiron as it's passing over your hair and use a good heat protectant.

Nice & Wavy

Hey welcome!!!

I use it and don't have any problems with it at all.

The key, as the other ladies were saying, is too use small sections and take your time, and don't clamp down on the hair...you don't need too.

HTH (Hope that Helps)

luckiestdestiny

hey sis - the key is to use SMALL sections!! i also have thick hair and know it is not wise to try to flat iron too large a section of hair at one time, that's just asking for trouble. Know that it's going to take you a while to finish and allow yourself that time without the need to rush.

my sections are about 3 inches long and about this thick ---> *--*

i use the pins and steam burst (if i feel like it ;)) and lose no more than 5-6 hairs on my entire head. it gets straight enough for me on setting #1 or 1.5. i'd start on the lowest setting and work my way up from there if it's not the result you're looking for.

remember to never apply pressure to the flatiron as it's passing over your hair and use a good heat protectant.
Thanks for the styling tips. This is really helpful. I think I'll do really really thin sections and take the 3 inch advice. That seems to make sense as to detangling. How long do you think it takes overall to straighten?

LynnieB

It takes me about an hour to flatiron, a little more if i'm doing other things or taking breaks in between :grin:.

Whimsy

i'm currently transitioning but i maxiglided about once a week, when I was natural I also maxied. I use it on 5, and use tiny strips. I use the plate with the teeth. It doesn't pull hair out for me. I think because i let the hair airdry in braids then take down one at a time and brush before I pass the iron over....