Media picks up video of the girl getting her hair brushed !!!

*Muffin*

I don't think it was someone from lhcf. It looks like the writer did a good amount of research and read lhcf, naturallycurly, nappturality, and other boards/sites.

I don't know how I feel about the bolded. In a way I am glad that the writer did their research and gathered information from all these different sites for this case, but on the other hand I'm not sure I like the idea of certain kinds of people stalking this site due to this kind of media attention. Whether it's good or bad only time will tell.

Shadiyah

OMG....I almost cried when I watched that video.
That little girl will never get over that kind of trauma.
That was straight abuse.
WOW.......I can't think of what to say. That woman needs to be locked up and educated:wallbash: She did not even try to make it less painful for the poor little girl.
Unbelievable, just unbelievable.

And she wasn't doing nothing. She was making a mess of that girl hair. That is not how you comb or brush hair. She was doing that on purpose, some mothers a lot are really jealous of their daughters hair. I have a aunt that is 3 yrs older than me and she use to do that same stuff to me, so much so I would not go stay at my grand parents anymore because I could not stand her in my hair.

Mystic

Why is the video still there if it was reported? I thought the link was gone.

This mother is either cold, seeking some sick attention or maybe something else. If the link was reported for abuse and eventually taken down, what is the mother's goal for reposting the link??? Are you telling me it is OK for her to go through all of this at the expense of her daughter? If I were the mother, I would have taken that link down ASAP because I would have been SO ashamed of my action, and the subsequent negative feedback. ****some people***

SvelteVelvet

That dumb trick wasn't even accomplishing anything with that brush. Even if the child was sitting perfectly still she wouldn't have been accomplishing anything but damage. SMDH.

Stepiphanie

The whole situation in the video was very abusive! The mother was dead wrong.It seemed like she was purposely trying to rip out that child's hair. The fact that some people think that this was somehow normal, and that the little girl was being "extra" baffles me. My hair is definitely coarser than hers, and I had a huge fro too, and even though my hair was properly sectioned, detangled and styled with tlc , I still would flinch and tear up. I can only imagine someone screaming at me, cussin' and calling me all sorts of names. That kinda stuff stays with you for life.
I think the author also makes an interesting point on the irony of them being so tech savvy and posting a vid on yt, but somehow couldn't do any research on how to properly care for the child's hair. But then again, you can't make ignorant people change their perceptions!

Solitude

Ok.......the video was jacked up and the mother was dead wrong. But, that one video is not representative of some huge hair struggle. Goodness.

LynnieB

Good article. i like how she didnt completely bash the woman. in some instances i DO think that child was being a bit extra.
the mother could've went another way about it but when you know better you do better, when you don't you don't.
she was probably treated the same way.
and i really resent the fact that some ppl think her child should be taken away from her :nono:

I have some still photos of what's left of this girl's hairline and other bald patches I can re-upload if you'd like.

If the girl seems to be "a bit extra", the photos will show why.

The girl's hair has been literally ripped out of her scalp.

If it happened to me, I'd be acting extra too.

seraphim712

I have some still photos of what's left of this girl's hairline and other bald patches I can re-upload if you'd like.

If the girl seems to be "a bit extra", the photos will show why.

The girl's hair has been literally ripped out of her scalp.

If it happened to me, I'd be acting extra too.

Could you post please? Btw, any news on the girl herself?

LynnieB

Could you post please? Btw, any news on the girl herself?

Sure can:

ETA: Haven't heard a thing except for the Slate.com article.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

I'm happy it's picked up. It will give a chance to dialogue and question the hair practices that we're passing on to our children and the "ideas" we're implanting into their minds ("be somebody" as if she isn't anyone unless her hair looks the way her mother wants it to). I know there will be negative backlash too but I'm also hoping for open dialogue. I'm also proud to be amongst the detectives here that posted the link to report child abuse (which I was happy to send a complaint). It shows there's a group of caring, supportive women here and I'm happy to be a part of this community.