Micro Braids Good or Bad

slantedeyegirl

Hello ladies I'm new here. I was just wondering are micros good or bad for hair growth. I've been contemplating about getting them for a while, I almost have my mind made up to get them this week. I want to give my hair a break, and also obtain some growth in the process. But then I hear people saying micros cause hair breakage. What do you think??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ngaa

hiya /images/graemlins/wave.gif

the thing that u shud realise that everything is capable of causin hair breakage and the thing with micros is that they need constant care jus like most braids.....one thing that i've noticed that do cause breakage wit them is the fact that if u have long relaxed hair then the fact that they are only braided till the hair ends means that any unravelling causes the hair to be left unprotected, which may not really help u to keep yo hair length which is the reason that the hair is braided in the first place...

if u r thinkin of gettin them then make sure that yo hair is in good condition before havin them done and then make sure that they aint done too tight and not kept in for too long /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mstankers

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
slantedeyegirl said:
Hello ladies I'm new here. I was just wondering are micros good or bad for hair growth. I've been contemplating about getting them for a while, I almost have my mind made up to get them this week. I want to give my hair a break, and also obtain some growth in the process. But then I hear people saying micros cause hair breakage. What do you think??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any style can cause breakage. I think your hair should be properly trimmed before hand and you should have a very very deep conditioner. In addition, make sure whomever does your braids dont do them too tight and do not keep them in for too long. My friend has micros and it has helped with her hair growth but she does not keep them in as long as they say you can

Crystal

I say bad. They would be okay if the braider used more than 5 strands of hair to create a braid. The reaked havoc in the front of my hair around the hairl line... the rest was okay.

Those African Braiders are not concerned with your hair growth, just getting those braides in and gettting them tight. If you can get them so you hairline braids aren't dangling on a few strands then it may be okay. I saw a style where the first few inches of the hairline was corn-rowed back into micros and that may be okay but if you're serious about healthy, long, strong hair, I'd forgoe the micros and get bigger ones.

Boadicea

I also say bad. They may look cute, but can cause damage to your hairline even if you take the best care with them.

Don't get braids smaller than a pencil, especially around the hairline, where your hair is the wearkest. If you just have to have microbraids, go for the microbraid weave. That way, the bulk of your hair isn't under a lot of stress and you still get the look of microbraids.

Click here: http://www.hisandher.com/store/shop_sub.asp?main=MAIN_001&amp;sub=SUB_009

ngaa

which reminds me, do anyone know of a way of gettin the micro-braid weave in such a way that u dont needa have to wear a head-band to cover up the tracks, coz u cant leave yo hair out in front coz the micros needa blend well wit the hair in the front....any suggestions??

L

legs71

Being an avid microbraid wearer I say they are not bad. I will say though when my hair was relaxed they were not good at all. I think they're particularly harmful for people who have damaged hair and choose braids to give their hair a rest. With my hair being natural I have not sustained any damage to my hair from microbraids. The edge damage I did incur was from cornrows.

simone103

I would have to say stay away from microbraids. They really do wreak havoc on your hair line. When I used to get them for a period of 6 or 7 months, they never produced the amount of the growth that I would've liked, that I would normally achieve from wearing bigger braids. And they are really just a pain to take out. Here's a link that has braiding tips:

Tips for braiding hair

Kitkat

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
one thing that i've noticed that do cause breakage wit them is the fact that if u have long relaxed hair then the fact that they are only braided till the hair ends means that any unravelling causes the hair to be left unprotected, which may not really help u to keep yo hair length which is the reason that the hair is braided in the first place...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Ngaa, that makes perfect sense. It never occurred to me that braids that are only done to the length of your hair aren't healthy for the hair. When I get them done, they're braided all the way to the end, but that's because I like that look better. That's what I love about this board - you learn something new every day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif