Miss Jessie’s Article

vkb247

No. Just because it looks natural it still isn't natural. They are just trying to sell their services IMO.

empressri

Oh I am so sorry, those two would NEVERRRRRRRRRRRR touch my hair, I don't agree with anything they said. It's just marketing, that's it.

Besides, they can't even blend their makeup properly lol. :lachen:

almond eyes

I think that if you have the patience and have time to experiment with products, you can achieve these shingled, wash and go, curly, wavy looks without the chemicals or having to get them to do it for you. Many times women complain that they don't have a curly enough hair texture for those methods to work unless they go to a professional, but I am here to say that's not necessarily the case just be patient and learn what works for your hair rather than pour money down the drain. I have heard that they really know how to cut natural hair well and that could be worth it but for the rest not really. And despite what people say about the silkener, the bottom line is that if you have dense and thick and fine strands, your hair will never be processed evenly therefore the greater chance for breakage. Many women with this type of hair don't get this with texturisers and have to keep learning the lesson over and over again.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

Interesting article but I can do my own hair thank you. I really like the curly pudding for it's shine. A natural "Look" vs unaltered hair texture is different. When people say natural they general mean unprocessed unaltered hair texture not hair that has a little chemical. I disagree with the idea that dyeing your hair means that you no longer have natural hair. Because the dye does not change the texture. Either you are natural or you are not!

PinkSkates

OP it's just a marketing ploy .They have a service and product to sell.
"Natural-like", "Naturalness", "Natural-Look" = I have chemicals in my hair.
I hate euphemisms!
Just call a spade a spade...and still sell your products.

cutiebe2

Sounds like a texturizer to me, I don't see whats different

I don't really like their answers to the questions, very vauge. I got sample of ome of their products and I cannot believe how much they are charging. There must be some way to come down in the price. Their products are not God.

I digress....maybe the silkner will work for people but they should be honest about what it really is

BrittanyH26

I don't think this will catch. A silkener is a chemical service; there are no ifs ands or buts about it, which does not equal natural hair. Natural hair is unaltered by chemicals. Period.

Kay.Dee

I'm sorry but no. A chemical is a chemical. Great if they can "fool" people with its look then that's wonderful.

I've seen some of the pictures of the silkener and it looks like a under processed relaxer (didn't look too hot for the amount they paid), nothing natural looking about it.

msdeevee

No!! A Silkener as they call it is a chemical service. They said in the article that it has lye in it.

If you put Lye on your hair it will permanently change the texture of your hair, just like a regular relaxer. I will never put a relaxer on my hair again and I will never pay 300.00 to put a "Silkener" on my hair. Never !!

Neith

Nope, it isn't natural.

I hope the people getting the services realize that. For the amount of money they charge... dang, you should at least be told the truth. I wonder if people are running around with texturizers thinking they are natural.

jtotheb

I think they make it clear in this article and on their Web site that a silkener is a chemical service and "technically" you won't be natural anymore. I think it perfectly acceptable to want a natural-like look.

On a larger level, I think what they are getting at is that a chemical service doesn't have to rob AA women of all of our unique waves, kinks and curl, but it can aid in manageability and achieving a desired look more permanently.

Solitude

I'm not natural, but clearly using a chemical service to change the texture of one's hair is not "natural hair."

In the article, they compare color to texturizers & "silkener," but color does not change the texture of one's hair, so that's different. I don't consider anyone who uses chemicals to change the texture of their hair "natural." But, that's just my opinion. I mean, logically, I have a relaxer and I can use flexi-rods or spiral curls to "look natural" but I'm still not.

soulflower24

Wow! Overpriced and their ingredients are cheap and contain industrial chemicals. They actually promote the use of mineral oil, petroleum and lye which are dangerous for your hair and body. Everyone isn't naturally a 3a so I guess this is achieved through their silkeners.

Solitude

I think they make it clear in this article and on their Web site that a silkener is a chemical service and "technically" you won't be natural anymore. I think it perfectly acceptable to want a natural-like look.

On a larger level, I think what they are getting at is that a chemical service doesn't have to rob AA women of all of our unique waves, kinks and curl, but it can aid in manageability and achieving a desired look more permanently.

Well, when you put it that way...but what happens if you don't keep up the chemical services?? Will you have to transition again?

jtotheb

Well, when you put it that way...but what happens if you don't keep up the chemical services?? Will you have to transition again?

I'd assume so, depending on how much your silkened hair texture differs from you natural texture.

Right now my hair is very lightly texturized. I know i'm not natural, but I don't feel like i'd need to transition again if I didn't want to continue the chemicals because my hair still has most of it's original texture. I can't tell where the texturized hair begins and where my new growth ends.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Since the silkener is a secret then that means they hide it from the client, perform the chemical service. Hook the client so they have no choice but to come back to them for touch ups. Charges them a few 100 dollars each time.

Silkener= Relaxer with some oil in it. :lachen::lachen:

Wow, can we say drug dealer. Oops. My bad. Not my hair.

Last edited:

mikosbelle

I agree with the majority of the comments already made about a silkener not being "natural." The one thing that really urks me about the article is that they try and put getting a silkener in the same category as getting a permanent hair color. To me hair color simply alters the physical appearance, making strands lighter or darker while at the same time either lifting or depositing color. Even though it is a chemical process it does not alter the texture of the hair, at least it did not alter my hair texture not one bit....it did make my hair more dry. But people will use whatever psychological reasoning that they can to justify whatever it is that they are doing. They have found a niche in their target market who wants to "look natural" through the aid of a chemical process. People pay big bucks for this service and I am sure that they will continue to do so. My girlfriend got a low-lye relaxer while transitioning and it straightened her hair completely and caused some damage.

Last edited:

Casarela

I do understand your point but on the other hand, I know for a fact because Ive colored my hair the first time I went natural and it did change my hair texture and DRASTICALLY!!!! I do know other ladies that are natural and can color their hair and the texture will remain the same. I dont think having hair color can alter hair if properly applied...or maybe depending on what type of hair dye youre using since some are harsh and others not.

but I do AGREE with you that comparing silkening to dying hair is just not right !!!!

In addition, I do give them props because they are good business woman , and clearly state that the silkening process can give you the natural LOOK. It shouldnt confuse anybody and if they do I dont think its their fault because as black woman if we dont educate ourselves on hair care we should NOT expect companies to do so. Its like shopping for a computer I dont expect a rep working on commission to tell me which computer is the best. So what do I do ...I get the most info I can and than make my decision.

I'm not natural, but clearly using a chemical service to change the texture of one's hair is not "natural hair."

In the article, they compare color to texturizers & "silkener," but color does not change the texture of one's hair, so that's different. I don't consider anyone who uses chemicals to change the texture of their hair "natural." But, that's just my opinion. I mean, logically, I have a relaxer and I can use flexi-rods or spiral curls to "look natural" but I'm still not.

BostonMaria

Does anyone know what Miss Jessie's salon charges for a Silkener?

If somebody wants to get that, hey knock yourself out. But if its expensive as hell, I can't imagine having to go every few months and dish out all that money.

I don't care if they put mineral oil in their products. I just hate the fact that they would charge so much money for a product that has crappy ingredients in it. $38 for a 16 oz Curly Pudding is an absolute insane amount of money.
http://www.missjessies.com/products.htm#curlypudding

Kutie85

After looking at the website again it almost seems like deceptive marketing to me. I don't ike that they tell their clients theat lye is okay because they use special ingredient's. In essence if their client's were truly knowlegable about this process they could just use any relaxer cut the application process in half and get a silkner. I guess people want to pay for the experience, people feel there getting the best because it's so popular.

empressri

Does anyone know what Miss Jessie's salon charges for a Silkener?

If somebody wants to get that, hey knock yourself out. But if its expensive as hell, I can't imagine having to go every few months and dish out all that money.

I don't care if they put mineral oil in their products. I just hate the fact that they would charge so much money for a product that has crappy ingredients in it. $38 for a 16 oz Curly Pudding is an absolute insane amount of money.
http://www.missjessies.com/products.htm#curlypudding

I know people were going there getting charged $500 and $800 for services. Yeaaah right! Kiss my grits!